The Royal Marsden is a world leader in cancer research, treatment and education. Together with our academic partner, The Institute of Cancer Research (ICR), we are the largest comprehensive cancer centre in Europe and the only National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Biomedical Research Centre specialising in cancer in the UK.
The Royal Marsden has a vital role in championing change and improvement in cancer care through research and innovation, education and leading-edge practice. We are incredibly proud of our international reputation for pushing the boundaries and for our ground-breaking work ensuring patients receive the very latest and best in cancer treatment and care.
The Royal Marsden treats both NHS and private patients, offering the same levels of exceptional care to all, and private patients travel from all over the world to access our exceptional care.
The Royal Marsden Private Care is the most successful NHS private patient unit in the country and the income we generate is reinvested into the Trust for the benefit of all our patients. Central to this success are our people: clinical and non-clinical on the front line and behind the scenes, who every day provide the highest standards of care.Main duties of the job
There are four Royal Marsden Private Care Medical Day Units, at: Chelsea, Cavendish Square, Sutton and Kingston. We are currently seeking Specialist Doctors to manage the units at Chelsea and Cavendish Square.
If successful, you will manage the day-to-day care of private patients attending the units to receive chemotherapy, immunotherapy and targeted therapies on the unit, as well as managing any complications arising from treatment. You will also liaise with consultant staff and multi-disciplinary team members to assess and manage acutely unwell patients whose visits to the unit are sometimes unplanned.
The units run effectively through multi-disciplinary teams, and we are seeking doctors who work collaboratively with their colleagues to deliver exceptional care to their patients.
As a Specialist Doctor, you will have significant oncology experience providing care in a medical day unit setting, and you will use your experience to educate, coach and mentor staff within the clinical team setting, and to role model behaviours and ways of working that are aligned to our Trust values.
The successful candidate will also have excellent learning opportunities, working closely with leading medical and clinical oncology consultants within the UK and Europe.
If you have the necessary vision, drive, dedication, and compassion, then we want you to join our world leading team and be part of one of the leading cancer centres in the world.About us
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 3,900 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits and learning and development opportunities. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further information and duties for this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification.Person SpecificationStatusEssential
- MBBS / MBBCh or approved overseas equivalent
- Full registration and license to practice with the General Medical Council
- Evidence of on-going personal and professional development
- Hons, Distinctions, Prizes at Undergrad or Postgrad Level
- Advanced Life Support
- Higher Degree (MD/PHD)
Leadership and TeamworkEssential
- Minimum 12 years medical experience since primary qualification
- Minimum of 6 years at SAS Doctor grade or equivalent in Medical Oncology
- Minimum of 6 years' experience working on Medical Day Units, including prescribing and administering chemotherapy
- Undertaken research in relevant field
- Demonstrate experience and ability to act as a role model, educator, supervisor, coach or mentor for medical and non-medical practitioners
- Ability to lead diverse teams within all areas of the hospital
- Understand leadership styles and impact on others
- Demonstrate ability to develop effective relationships across multidisciplinary teams
- Training or clinical experience in management +/- teamwork or managing projects
- Ability to cope with stressful situations and take responsibility
- Able to work alone, while knowing one's own limitations and willing to request assistance from senior colleagues
- Motivated to ensure the achievement of defined targets
- Demonstrates the ability to take prompt action where there is an issue with the safety or quality of patient care, raises and escalates concerns, through clinical governance systems, where necessary
- Good communicator with excellent spoken and written English
- Awareness of developments within the NHS/Private
- Knowledge of Quality & Clinical Governance
- Ability to lead new practice and service redesign in response to feedback, evaluation and need, promoting best practice
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of eligibility to reside and work in the UK
- Prepared to work flexibly to meet the needs of the service as and when required
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden Hospital
Chelsea & Cavendish Square
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.