An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Medical Rota Co-ordinator to join Emergency and Integrated Medicine at Whittington Health NHS Trust . The post holder will provide a comprehensive and high quality service to all Medical staff within the ICSU, contributing to the continued development of the service to support our clinical services. The post holder will manage and co-ordinate Junior Doctors' rotas (including sourcing of locum cover), ensuring compliance with contractual requirements and the European Working Time Directive (EWTD). The post holder will be responsible for managing the Junior Medical rotas for the Emergency Department, Ambulatory Care and General Medical On call rotas.Main duties of the job
To manage processes for capturing and recording annual, sick, study and professional leave for both junior doctors and consultants.
Provide up to date induction packs during rotation weeks explaining ICSU's processes to Junior Doctors.
To develop and maintain administrative systems including SOP's to ensure efficient and effective operation of the on-call rota and locum cover across Emergency Integrated Medicine.
Maintain and update database of all vacant junior doctor shifts to be covered either by agency or locum.
Provide regular updates for the consultant on-call rota, escalating gaps to the appropriate manager where service delivery may be compromised as a consequence
Liaise with nominated junior doctor and senior medical staff on a regular basis to facilitate the smooth and efficient running of all rota's
Liaise with medical HR to be aware of the incoming junior and medical staff and proactively inform the relevant consultants of any gapsAbout us
Whittington Health serves a richly diverse population and works hard to ensure that all our services are fair and equally accessible to everyone.
Nowhere is this more obvious than in the way we look after our staff. We aim to employ a workforce which is as representative as possible of this population, so we are open to the value of differences in age, disability, gender, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, sexual orientation, and religion or belief.
The Trust believes that as a public sector organisation we have an obligation to have recruitment, training, promotion and other formal employment policies and procedures that are sensitive to these differences. We think that by doing so, we are better able to treat our patients as well as being a better place to work.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesMAIN DUTIES Rota
- To manage processes for capturing and recording annual, sick, study and professional leave for both junior doctors and consultants.
- To work with the Service Managers to embed the leave policy within the ICSUs.
- Provide up to date induction packs during rotation weeks explaining ICSUs processes to Junior Doctors.
- To develop and maintain administrative systems including SOPs to ensure efficient and effective operation of the on-call rota and locum cover across Emergency Integrated Medicine
- Maintain and update database of all vacant junior doctor shifts to be covered either by agency or locum.
- Provide regular updates for the consultant on-call rota, escalating gaps to the appropriate manager where service delivery may be compromised as a consequence
- Liaise with nominated junior doctor and senior medical staff on a regular basis to facilitate the smooth and efficient running of all rotas
- Liaise with medical HR to be aware of the incoming junior and medical staff and proactively inform the relevant consultants of any gaps
- All rotas to be completed and uploaded 6 weeks in advance
- To carry out recruitment activities as necessary to ensure to effective management of any rotational gaps.
- To liaise with and assist the Medical Rota Lead with all rota related tasks
- To manage the EIM rota co-ordinator mailbox.
Agency and Locum Spend
- Ensure rotas are circulated to key staff throughout the directorate including consultants, trainees site and switchboard in a timely manner, with changes to any published rota being effectively communicated to these staff
- Consistently work in close partnership with management and the relevant clinical teams to ensure transparency of issues and robust solutions through recruitment
- To deal appropriately and effectively with the incoming mail and resulting correspondence. Responding promptly to telephone calls, emails and enquiries.
- Maintain a professional manner and appearance at all times
- Communicate sensitively and effectively with all staff and junior doctors, using active listening and adapting communication style and methods as necessary to meet their needs
- Participate in meetings as appropriate
- Deal with complex queries
- Demonstrate the high levels of customer care and be an ambassador for the trust
- Ensure high levels of agency and clinician satisfaction being accessible, rota and focused and knowledgeable point of contact
- Maintain a department list and ensure all doctor contact details are up to date and group emails are set up.
- Liaise with agencies to ensure they comply with protocol, payments and cap rates (as authorised by the Trust).
- To ensure the processes for doctors joining/leaving the ICSU are efficiently and effectively managed to shorten the period for which locums may be required.
- To develop and embed ICSU control mechanisms for locum spend.
- Investigate agency locums non-attendance and process for compensation.
- Implement departmental guidelines for processing payments for locums
- To ensure timesheets are finalised in an efficient manner according to Trust policies.
- Liaise regularly with the appropriate colleagues in the ICSUs Finance teams to ensure accuracy of data regarding agency and locum spend
- Drive the Trusts Cost Improvement agenda by proactively managing rota gaps to encourage uptake of shifts via the Trusts bank resource, thus minimising agency spend
- To maintain the escalation process for leave requests.
- To maintain the escalation process for non-compliance to the policy.
- To input all Junior Doctors Leave and sickness on ESR.
- To input all consultant Leave and Sickness on ESR and Allocate
- To calculate leave entitlement for Consultants based on job plan and consolidate leave into days they work at the Trust.
- Maintain up to date and easily understandable records for both consultant and junior doctor leave.
Education and Training/Self-Development
- Good administration is key to this post, you must have a good understanding of Word packages, be able to devise spreadsheets and manipulate data into tables/graphs.
- To be able to independently prioritise your work and have a flexible approach to work and situations.
- Provide overall support for the Service Manager(s), Clinical Leads and Clinical Director, keeping them regularly informed regarding all aspects of medical staff.
- Compile the local departmental induction pack in conjunction with Clinical Leads/Clinical Directors.
- Coordinate the departmental induction and training of new and temporary medical staff.
- To provide relevant reports as requested regarding medical staff.
- Identify own training and development needs and undertake appropriate training/education as required.
- Participate in an annual individual performance review process where objectives will be agreed, performance monitored and personal development needs discussed
- To attend all statutory and mandatory training as and when required to do so
- Respond to queries from a variety of colleagues regarding locum cover, leave and on-call changes in a clear, timely manner
- Keep distribution lists up-to-date to ensure relevant information is disseminated appropriately.
- Keep intranet updated with uploading the relevant rota weekly
- Support new medical staff in accessing network accounts and familiarising themselves with Trust policies and procedures
- Maintain records of study leave attendances and entitlements for junior doctors and consultants, and make arrangements for the payment of associated expenses
- Any other reasonable support activities as requested by Service Managers to assist with efficient and safe service delivery
- Support service management team in the termination of medical staff leaving the Trust.
- To provide cross cover with the EIM Team Administrator when required, which will include managing diarys and minuting meetings and placing orders on the trust procurement system
- To keep up to date with recent developments in Leave Policies and Working Time Regulations.
- Ensure adherence to confidentiality of personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
- Provide departmental induction to Consultants and Doctors upon their start at the Trust, including supporting new medical staff in accessing network accounts and familiarising themselves with trust policies and procedures.
- Support service management team in the termination of medical staff leaving the trust.
- To keep up to date with recent developments in leave policies and working time regulations.
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent work experience
- Previous experience as a Medical staffing coordinator
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience dealing with customer complaints and customer care
Whittington Hospital NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.