We are looking to recruit three experienced, knowledgeable and dynamic Senior Specialist Speech and Language Therapists to join the innovative Specialist Assessment Multidisciplinary (SAM) Team. SAM operates county wide and it is envisaged that each of our newly appointed SLTs will work locally within one of the mental health inpatient community rehab units in West Sussex, East Sussex, and Brighton, with some flexibility to work outside of these units where necessary.
This post will be to cover East Sussex- Amberstone (Hailsham)Main duties of the job
- To hold a caseload of people who are resident in inpatient community rehab and meet the referral criteria for the SAM team.
- To make differential diagnosis following specialist assessment of complex swallowing and communication disorders, plan and provide intervention which is evidence based.
- To use specialist knowledge and be a resource within the wider SPFT Mental Health SLT team and offering second opinions to colleagues as necessary and supporting colleagues to make reasonable adjustments, based on your assessment and knowledge of communication difficulties, to optimise patients' engagement in their interventions with other professions and to promote recovery and wellbeing.
- To inform, support and counsel patients, relatives, carers and significant others, presenting complex information clearly and comprehensively in order to reduce the impact of communication and/ or swallowing difficulties in everyday life.
- To encourage and enable service users and carers involvement and choice in all intervention options and decisions regarding their care plans/ goals wherever possible.
We provide mental health and learning disability care for children, young people and adults across Sussex and for children and young people in Hampshire.
Working in Sussex:
Travel easily between coast and countryside, with its blend of beautiful villages and seaside towns there's always new experiences to be enjoyed
Embrace the city life with great access to visit Brighton and London
With easy access to Gatwick and Heathrow and excellent railway links across the UK there is plenty of opportunity for adventure
We'd love you to join our organisation that is rated 'good' overall and 'outstanding' for caring by the Care Quality Commission. Our staff agree, with 82% of people in our recent staff survey telling us that they recognise that care for patients is our top priority.
Other key staff survey results include:
70% highlighting flexible working opportunities as a key point for satisfaction at work
79% reporting feeling able to make suggestions to improve the work within their team
77% identifying the opportunities to show initiative in their roles
See the attached 'Partnership Perks' document for details about our benefits package.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- A senior specialist SLT role which requires excellent leadership skills and an ability and commitment to work with a variety of professionals within a multidisciplinary team.
- Clinical expertise required in Speech, Language and Communication assessment with dysphagia knowledge. Experience of mental health services desirable.
- The role has both clinical and service development responsibilities.
- To provide a direct clinical role for a small number of patients as well as contributing to the development of the SLT service into Community Inpatient Rehabilitation Services, based in specified localities across Sussex.
- Recognised Speech & Language Therapy Degree or Masters Qualification or equivalent
- equivalent. ? Health Professions Council - license to practice
- Registered member of Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists
- Post basic qualification in dysphagia RCSLT accredited
- Awareness of the wider context of the NHS within specialist clinical field.
- Knowledge of assessment tools relevant to the client group
- Knowledge of a range of appropriate therapeutic interventions (relevant to the client group)
- Knowledge of the principles of clinical governance / audit.
- Knowledge of record keeping standards
- Ability to adapt written and verbal communication to suit the needs of people with communication and learning disabilities.
Knowledge and experienceEssential
- Licence to practice as a Speech & Language Therapist o
- HCPC registration
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oExtensive experience as a qualified SLT oBroad experience of working with clients with a range of abilities and disabilities oExperience of working in mental health oExperience of both group and individual work oExperience of multidisciplinary working oExperience of supervising staff and students oExperience in a clinical area related to the post oExperience of multi-agency work oLeadership experience oExperience in applying a range of assessment tools and a comprehensive knowledge of relevant SLT clinical approaches oAudit experience oExpert knowledge of SLT assessments and interventions oKnowledge of dysphagia oLived experience of mental health issues
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Sussex Education Centre (next to Millview Hospital)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.