An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Nutrition Nurse Specialist team at UHBW.
We are looking to recruit a Band 6 nurse to join our dynamic nursing team. The post holder will be involved in the development of a Regional Intestinal Failure service, providing inpatient. telephone and clinic support to patients on Home Parenteral Nutrition (HPN). Excellent communication and time management skills are vital.
Working closely with your Dietetic and Pharmacy colleagues, you will help manage the care of inpatients on short-term Parenteral Nutrition, and promote excellent central line management.
The post holder will have direct contact with inpatients, carers and staff to provided teaching, practical training and troubleshooting, to enable safe use of enteral feeding pumps, feeding tubes and devices.
You will have ample opportunity to increase your knowledge and skills in all aspects of Nutrition Support, including Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Mentorship will be provided by two experienced band 7 nurses. There will be opportunity to attend national conferences and apply for academic courses to further your career.Main duties of the job
- Provide compassionate, evidence-based, patient- focused care.
- Promote excellent nutrition support through practical support and education in the inpatient environment.
- Support the Band 7 nurses with the nutrition nurse helpline.
- Participate in nurse-led and multi-disciplinary clinics.
- Participate in weekly multi disciplinary team meetings and ward rounds.
- Train patients and carers in the use of enteral feeding tubes and pumps.
- Help train ward nurses in the theoretical and practical elements of Parenteral Nutrition administration.
- Work closely with community teams to facilitate safe and effective hospital discharges and admissions for patients requiring Home Parenteral Nutrition.
- Work with community services and other Trusts within the South West, as part of the Intestinal Failure Service.
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, bringing together a combined workforce of over 13,000 staff and over 100 different clinical services across 10 different sites, serving a core population of more than 500,000 people across South West England. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to the people of Bristol, Weston and beyond. As a forward-thinking multi-award winning Trust and a digital exemplar committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact. Our hospitals are spread across Bristol and Weston, join us and you can enjoy the very best of both worlds city living within a stone's throw of the countryside or beside the seaside, both with easy access to all that the South West has to offer. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. As an equal opportunities employer actively working towards a diverse workforce we aim to recruit and retain a workforce which represents the rich diversity of the local population at all levels and are committed to designing our services around the needs of individual patients and those around them. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For a more detailed job description and main responsibilities, please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancy.Person SpecificationQualifications and TrainingEssential
- Active 1st level registration with NMC
- 1st Degree In nursing or health related subject, willing to undertake/ working towards
- Relevant accredited post registration qualification at level 3
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Qualification in Teaching and Assessing
- Willingness to work towards Masters level academic study
- Experience caring for patients on Parenteral Nutrition
- Experience in gastroenterology/GI surgery
- Appropriate post registration experience in nursing, speciality
- Appropriate proven leadership and management experience
- Proven commitment and experience, evidence in teaching
- Experience as preceptor / mentor
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Experience of undertaking research or audit projects
- Evidence of commitment to research based practice or evidence of project work undertaken
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Organisation and management skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to problem solve
- Flexibility, adaptability to meet needs of a changing service
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team
- Ability to cope with emotional issues presented in the course of work, and to support others
- Knowledge of national and local specialty specific issues
- IT skills including use of email and Microsoft office packages
- Act as a role model and as a mentor/assessor
- Innovative and participates with practice and policy change
- Awareness of professional responsibilities to self and others
- Commitment to the development and provision of high quality nursing care
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Awareness of current national changes in nursing / NHS
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW)Address
Bristol Royal Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.