North Bristol NHS Trust is one of two designated Major Trauma Centres in South West England, servicing the Severn region. The Major Trauma Centre, supported by six acute trusts as designated trauma units, helps increase chances of survival and recovery for seriously ill patients
Main duties of the job
- The Severn Major Trauma Network is committed to reducing avoidable deaths & life limiting injuries. We aim to improve care for seriously injured patients across the whole patient pathway from point of injury to rehabilitation
- Southmead Hospital, is equipped with a helipad and a major specialty for Neurosurgery, Burns, Plastics, Pelvic Surgery, Open Fractures.
- We also care for Chest trauma injuries and are one of the only wards at North Bristol Trust to care for epidurals, chest drains, ketamine infusions and patient controlled analgesia
- As a Major Trauma Centre we will ensure that patients have access to specialist equipment and a full range of trauma specialists, including orthopaedics, neurosurgery & radiology teams. This will help improve patient's chances of survival & help them recover faster it is estimated that survival rates are increased by up to 30%
- In addition to clinical teams we have a team of experienced nurses & therapists who are available specifically to coordinate the care of seriously injured patients & provide support & information to patients and families both during and after their stay at the Major Trauma Centre
- We offer the opportunity for specialist Ortho and Neuro courses
Working within our division, your main duties will include:
- Organising and participating in the delivery of high standards of evidence-based nursing care.
- Taking responsibility to carry out required planned, direct patient care to a high standard without direct supervision, in accordance with established nursing procedures and policies.
- Contributing towards the health promotion for all patients by provided education, support and advice as necessary, ensuring referral to appropriate professionals or agencies as required.
- In the absence of senior staff, taking responsibility for the delegation and supervision of appropriate work to other qualified staff, healthcare support workers and students.
- Where relevant, be responsible and assist in the co-ordination of discharge planning in partnership with the multidisciplinary team.
- Taking personal responsibility for treating all patients with courtesy, respecting their individual needs and maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Ensuring provision of a safe and therapeutic environment for all patients, relatives, visitors and colleagues.
North Bristol NHS Trust employs over 12,000 staff providing healthcare to the residents of Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset from our award-winning hospital building at Southmead. We are the regional Major Trauma Centre, and an internationally recognised centre of excellence in a range of services and major specialities. Our vision is that by enabling our teams to be the best that they can be, we will provide exceptional healthcare, personally delivered.
North Bristol NHS Trust values all people as individuals. We aim to be an anti-discriminatory organisation and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We welcome applicants from all underrepresented groups.
Bristol is consistently voted the best place to live in the UK, with vibrant local music, arts and gastronomic scenes, a wide range of modern and state of the art shopping, recreation and leisure facilities, a wealth of great local family days out, fantastic transport links for local, national and internal holidays, and it has a rich history. If you prefer country, village or smaller town living, our Trust is also easily commutable from a range of attractive locations in North Somerset, South Gloucestershire and South Wales (such as Portishead or Chepstow). For band 5 Registered Nurses and ODPs, relocation support may be available. Please email Nursing@nbt.nhs.uk for more information.Job descriptionJob responsibilities North Bristol NHS Trust currently recruits overseas Nursing staff through an NHS Trust Supplier and we adhere to the NHSE Code of Practice in relation to applicants from Red List countries. We are therefore unable to accept any direct applications from candidates who are not already based in the UK. For a full overview of the Job Description, please refer to the PDF Job Description attached as an additional document to this advert. Knowledge, Training Experience and Skills Required
- A wide range of skills are required and taught on the ward, such as:
- VAC therapy
- Central line care
- Insertion of naso-gastric tube
- Collar care for spinal injuries
- Male and female catheterisation
- Care of an epidural, ketamine infusions and patient controlled analgesia
- TPN total parenteral nutrition
- Treatment of alcohol withdrawal
- Post operative care
- Triple therapy intravenous antibiotics
- Chest drain management
- Application of skin traction
25A has introduced an exciting new simulation room to ensure training can be done on the ward. This is a unique opportunity to easily expand your trauma orthopaedic knowledge in a controlled educated environmentPerson SpecificationEducationEssential TrainingEssential
- Teaching and assessing course
Employer detailsEmployer name
- advanced communication skills
North Bristol NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.