INTERNAL ONLY TO NORTH CUMBRIA INTEGRATED CARE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST (NCIC) TRUST EMPLOYEES ONLY
Based at Cumberland Infirmary and West Cumberland Hospital - to be discussed at interview.
Are you an experienced nurse leader looking for a unique opportunity to make a significant impact on healthcare services? We are looking for an exceptional Matron to join our fantastic team in Theatres as an interim arrangement. You will play a vital role in delivering exceptional performance, quality, and safety of services within your service. This role offers an incredible opportunity to an experienced matron or someone ready to step into their first matron role.
The Matron for Theatres is a fantastic opportunity to lead a cross site Theatres, Day Surgery and Pre Assessment, supporting the development of your team and delivering against the key quality standards of the service.
You will work closely with an excellent team of managers and clinicians, playing a key role in the Critical Care, Anaesthesia & Theatres Collaborative.Main duties of the job
The Quality Matron will ensure the highest standard of safe clinical care through the provision of effective leadership and management of clinical staff. S/he will ensure learning is embedded across the Trust, provide a visible, accessible and authoritative presence in the hospital environment.
The Quality Matron will respond to enquiries from relatives/carers and other organisations and services, and deal with concerns and actively problem-solve to improve the patient experience, investigate and respond to incidents and complaints within target timescales.
They will take shared responsibility with the Collaborative team for Clinical Governance and will lead on improving standards of cleanliness through participation in regular audits.
The Quality Matron will support research and development as required, facilitating an evidence based culture and will be responsible in conjunction with Collaborative lead nurses, Lead Matrons, Deputy Chief Nurse (operations), Deputy Chief Nurse (Corporate) & Executive Chief Nurse for the implementation of the nursing and midwifery strategy.About us
At NCIC, we have an ambition to deliver outstanding hospital and health services to half a million people. Established on 1st October 2019, the Trust is creating a centre of excellence in providing rural and remote healthcare and provides a wide range of community and acute services throughout north Cumbria and beyond. We're responsible for delivering over 70 services across 15 main locations and we employ more than 6,500 members of staff.
Our 5 key principles demonstrate our belief in the delivery of 'safe, high quality care every time'.
- Being a clinically led organisation
- Quality and safety at the heart
- A positive patient experience every time
- A great place to work
- Managing our money well
As an organisation we are serious about supporting a diverse workforce that reflects our local community and are very much focused on being an inclusive and compassionate place to work.
Across the North East and North Cumbria we are working together to deliver our ambition to be the greenest region in England by 2030. There is an expectation for all staff to support this by familiarising yourself with the Trust's sustainability initiatives such as waste and recycling, going paperless, videoconferencing, sustainable transport and others.
We encourage you to think about what you can do as an individual and within your team to contribute in to embedding carbon reduction into the everyday running of our organisation.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached Job description and person specification for further information regarding the role and the essential and desirable criteria required to be met by applicants.
Relocation assistance may be available for successful applicants moving to the region for certain posts. Please see our Policy for eligible vacancies?
- Please ensure that you document evidence of meeting all the essential criteria in the supporting information.
- If sufficient response is received this post could be closed earlier than the specified closing date, please apply as soon as possible to ensure that your application is considered.
Candidates who have been successfully shortlisted for interview will be asked via an email notification to log on to their Trac account to select an interview time. This will usually be within 2 weeks of the closing date.
For candidates applying using a Hotmail account or have strict firewall settings please ensure the following:
Disclosure and Barring Service:
- Junk Mail is checked regularly
On 28 November 2020, the new Disclosure and Barring Service filtering rules will come into effect.
The changes mean that:
- youth cautions, reprimands and final warnings will no longer be subject to automatic disclosure
- the multiple conviction rule has been removed, meaning that if an individual has more than one conviction, regardless of offence type or time passed, each conviction will be considered against the remaining rules individually, rather than being automatically disclosed.
If you are unsure about whether you need to disclose certain criminal record information, free confidential advice may be sought from one of the charity bodies listed below. These bodies can advise you on what you are legally required to declare and may also be able to advise you on how you can disclose criminal record information to a prospective employer and your legal rights when doing so.
Nacro Tel: 0300 123 1999, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unlock Tel: 01634 247350, email
email@example.com or complete the
online form on the Unlock website
The Trust is committed to safeguarding adults and children therefore if the post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended) the successful candidate(s) will be subject to a criminal records check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). The cost of the DBS must be met by the successful candidate(s) through salary deduction. DBS charges are as follows if applicable to the post:
Standard Check: �18 + Administration cost of �3.85 = �21.85. Deducted at �6.85 from 1st month salary and �5 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
Enhanced Check: �38 + administration cost of �3.90 = �41.90. Deducted at �11.90 from 1st month salary and �10 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
As part of the one of the largest employers in the UK NCIC future employees will have also access to the following benefits.
A lease car may be available for this position further details will be provided upon appointment if applicable.
27-day holiday scheme rising to 33 after 10 years
Flexible working Scheme
Excellent opportunities for development
Competitive NHS Pension scheme
Access to NHS discounts with retailers and leisure companies
EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) a free, confidential counselling and information service to assist with personal or work-related problems
These schemes are subject to availabilityPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
Desirable Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- 1st Level live NMC (RGN/RN (A)) / HCPC equivalent
- Professional knowledge acquired through degree supplemented by post graduate diploma specialist training, substantive experience in a senior nursing position, short courses plus further specialist training to Masters equivalent level
- PP126/127 or equivalent teaching/assessing D32/33 qualification
- Leadership Course
- Evidence of CPD
- Knowledge through in-depth experience/clinical experience in a relevant speciality
- Thorough understanding of contemporary nursing issues
- Successful track record of managing complaints developing systems to support learning
- Ability to deal with complex strategic and operational interdependencies
- Relevant senior management experience and supporting executive directors in the delivery of organisational goals
- Sound practical understanding of leadership styles
Skills and AptitudesEssential
- Knowledge and experience of Information Governance
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to form positive working relationships at all levels
- Ability to communicate effectively to external audiences and represent the Trust within the community
- Ability and confidence to communicate across many channels and formats
- Highly developed presentation and facilitation skills
- Well-developed collaboration and stakeholder-building skills
- Skills in effective influencing/persuasion
- Ability to carry a complex personal workload and balance competing demand
- Flexibility - the post holder will be required to work outside core hours
- Ability to communicate complex issues relating to patients' experiences to Board, Chief Executive and Divisional Directors and challenge current service provision
- Ability to demonstrate and generate commitment to patient experience, public involvement and equality and diversity
- Determined and self-motivated
- Tenacious - persistent in achieving results even where there may be setbacks
- Able to work as part of a team
- Ability to develop and implement a range of engagement tools and techniques to capture patient experience
- Ability to deal compassionately with patients, families and carers and deal with complaints against staff members
- Evidence of change management experience in ward/department or clinical specialty
- Evidence of proven practice development
- Evidence, knowledge and demonstration of maintaining effective clinical governance strategy
- Knowledge and understanding of research and audit methodologies
- Experience of co-ordinating a team
- Experience of human resources management
- Thorough understanding of infection control and 'cleaner hospitals' standards
- Knowledge of primary care
- Evidence of innovation in practice
- Thorough understanding of expanded roles/professional practice issues
- Understanding of national political and professional agenda and ability to apply this to clinical areas
- Organisational and time management skills
- Computer literacy
- Presentation skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to work flexibly to cover the needs of the service - cover evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
- Ability to work across sites as required.
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Cumberland Infirmary / West Cumberland
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.