The Trust is looking for an Environmental / Sustainability professional to take on this new and exciting role to work on environmental compliance and contribute and help lead the Trusts journey to net zero.
The purpose of the Environmental & Sustainability Officer role is to assist in the management of energy, water, waste, and carbon emissions throughout the Trust estate and that of our partner sites. This efficient management will lead to reduced usage/production, cost savings and an improved patient experience. To provide support and assistance to the Environmental and Sustainability Manager and the wider team, to achieve the aims set out in the Delivering a Net Zero NHS document.
This is a post suitable for an individual who wishes to develop and extend specialised skills and knowledge the field of waste and environmental management/sustainability within a large NHS provider trust. Applicants must possess a degree in an environmental/science subject and some experience working on environmental/waste related projects.Main duties of the job
To assist with implementation of waste target setting, aligning these to the ambitions of the Trusts Green Plan, NHS Clinical Waste Strategy, HTM07-01 and the National NHS Delivering a Net Zero statutory guidance.
To assist the Trust and partners to ensure compliance with all relevant legislation, regulations, codes and practice and Trust procedures and to provide technical expertise relating to waste & environmental management. Provide support and assistance to the Environmental & Sustainability Manager and the wider team, to achieve the aims set out in the Delivering a Net Zero NHS document.
You will develop and promote procedures for the correct segregation, handling, disposal and recycling of the waste, including working with site-based teams, clinical staff, hotel services and waste producers to explain and ensure correct & compliant procedures are followed.About us
We employ 3,500 staff in 63 locations and serve a population of 2,600,000 in Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, County Durham, and Tees over 3230 square miles.
Many people think the job of the ambulance service is to collect patients and take them to hospital, but we do much more!
Paramedic skills have developed hugely in recent years, meaning we carry out more treatment at the scene and en-route to hospital.
We have a dedicated clinical assessment service that allows us to provide patients with the most appropriate care from the beginning of the patient journey.
We have a specialised branch of the Trust called HART which deal with explosions or terrorist attacks.
Ultimately patients are the heart of everything that we do to support our mission of safe, effective and responsive care for all.
We value and respect the diversity employees bring to our workplace. We recruit a workforce that reflects the community we serve, and welcome applications from people from all backgrounds. To ensure we deliver on our aims in relation to diversity and inclusion we assess ourselves against a range of frameworks. We are ENEI Gold employer, Disability Confident Leader, Dyslexia Smart Award employer, Dementia Friendly, and part of Mind Blue Light programme and the Race at Work Charter from the Princes Responsible Business Network and are achieving across all objectives in NHS Equality Delivery System.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please ensure you take a look at the job description attached for full details of duties and responsibilities.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent, ideally in an environmental subject i.e. Sustainability, Environmental Management, Environmental Science or equivalent experience.
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development.
- Associate Member of the Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (AIEMA).
- Post graduate qualification in a relevant subject.
- Experience of waste and environmental management including site-wide, multi-department waste auditing.
- Experience of environmental management/efficiency work, and/or environmental sustainability behaviour change campaigns/projects.
- Experience in the management of waste including clinical / hazardous.
- Experience of implementing policies & strategies.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of delivering environmental sustainability training to a wide-ranging audience from senior manager briefings to frontline staff tool-box talks.
- Experience of environmental auditing and/or EMS implementation ISO 14001.
North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Ambulance HQ, Bernicia House
Goldcrest Way, Newburn Riverside
Newcastle upon Tyne
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.