This is an exciting opportunity to recruit a full time Consultant Psychiatrist to work within the acute assessment and treatment ward for males with organic mental health disorders. The successful candidate will be based at Alderney hospital Poole and will join a well-established inpatient team providing acute care to older adults with organic mental illness from across Dorset. Alongside our outstanding development opportunities and excellent NHS benefits, we also offer: - A commitment to flexible working.
We wouldlove to hear from you to discuss how together we might design this role around you and your specialist interests.offer support with relocation expenses.
This post attracts a Recruitment and Retention payment of �10,000
to be paid in monthly instalments for the first year of employment. If you are interested in moving to our beautiful county we can provide a generous relocation package of up to �10,000. In addition, we offer a commitment to flexible working, career development opportunities and our excellent NHS benefits.Main duties of the job
The postholder will work full time within the Older Adult Acute Organic Inpatient Unit which provides comprehensive inpatient based services to patients registered with general practitioners within Dorset.
The unit provides patient centred consultant led care. The consultant will be supported by a Speciality Doctor who is based on the ward in addition to the wider multidisciplinary team
The team work closely with the community and Intermediate care team for dementia ( ICSD)home treatment team to provide inpatient care to informal and detained patients when required. The aim of admission is to provide treatment and return patients back to their community. The team is multidisciplinary in nature and there is an SHO who works alongside the consultant to provide care to the patients.
The post holder will take part in the consultant on-call rota remunerated paid at 3% plus 0.75APA. The post attracts 10 days per year of study leave and an annual study leave budget of up to �1000.
Candidates for Consultant posts must also be on the GMC Specialist Register (including via CESR/European Community Rights) or will have a CCT/CESR(CP) date within 6 months of interview. About us
At Dorset HealthCare we're on a mission to empower people to make the most of their lives through our outstanding, joined-up healthcare services. We're a dynamic, forward-looking Trust, running 12 community hospitals, specialist inpatient facilities and a wide range of integrated community and mental health services for a population of almost 800,000 people.
We do things differently here - it's one of the reasons the CQC rated us 'outstanding' in 2019. It's also why 95% of patients across our services say they have a good or very good experience of our services and 89% of staff feel they can really make a difference. Whether you're looking to work with us in one of our bustling market towns, vibrant urban locations, thriving seaside spots, or among the rolling hills of Dorset, there are lots of ways you can make a difference in our communities.
Our 7,000-strong workforce is at the heart of what we do and our success is a testament to our brilliant people. We're all about building a workplace for the future, we believe in equal opportunities and we celebrate diversity. We're an inclusive workplace, where everyone is welcome, everyone can be authentic, and we are all encouraged to be the best version of ourselves.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For the main duties and responsibilities for this role please read the attached job description and person specification. When completing your application please ensure your supporting statement reflects the criteria set out in these documents by showing how your experience and skills apply to this post.Person SpecificationConsultant in Older Adult Psychiatry - Herm Ward Alderney HospitalEssential
- General medical Qualification e.g. MBBS, or equivalent and hold a Licence to Practise.
- MRCPsych or recognised equivalent, e.g. membership of a psychiatry college in another country.
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- Additional clinical qualification
- Must be in possession or within 6 months of possession of a CCT in Psychiatry or on Specialist Register in Psychiatry.
- On Specialist Register in Older Adult Psychiatry.
- Section 12(2) approval and Approved Clinician approval or ability to obtain approval before starting post
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Experience of medicine outside psychiatry e.g. general practice, medicine.
- Excellent knowledge in specialty
- Evidence of effective multidisciplinary team involvement.
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psychosocial perspective and wider medical knowledge.
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Make decisions based on evidence and experience including contribution of others.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Teaching Experience
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within the NHS or comparable service.
- Understand the importance of working with managers in the interest of good patient care
- Able to manage priorities
- Evidence of management/Leadership skills training
- Previous management experience including that of other junior medical staff
- Understand principles of leadership and give examples of leadership in own practice.
- Able to provide clinical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team.
- An understanding of the importance of Clinical Governance in the NHS organisations and importance in patient care.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation
Supervision of Junior medical StaffEssential
- To have an understanding of own strengths and weaknesses and how these attributes affect professional functioning.
- To have an understanding of the stresses involved in being a consultant 22 psychiatrist and how to manage these appropriately.
Research and AuditEssential
- Knowledge of requirements for supervision and appraisal of junior medical staff.
- Approved educational supervisor training
- Experience of carrying out an audit project
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication
- Ability to supervisor junior medical staff undertaking research projects
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Published audit project
- Ability to critically appraise published research
Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.