This is an exciting time to join our organisation and Team UHD. We are looking for a new Director of Estates and Environment with the vision and ambition to lead our organisation through this next phase of development. The successful candidate will be an influential team player and a trusted advisor leader who can inspire change and innovation on the ground and will understand and live our culture and values.
The Trust's services include major medical and surgical specialties, routine and specialist diagnostic services and other clinical support services. We also operate urgent primary care services from the Poole and Royal Bournemouth Hospital sites. Our specialist services and facilities include our flagship Dorset Cancer Centre, a major trauma unit for east Dorset, a state-of-the-art Cardiology Unit (the Dorset Heart Centre) and our award-winning orthopaedic service providing hip and knee replacements.
We are an ambitious and progressive provider and this role of Director of Estates and Environment represents an outstanding opportunity for an innovative, compassionate and inclusive lea der to influence and shape the direction and future success of the Trust.Main duties of the job
As Director of Estates and Environment for UHD, you will be responsible for promoting a safe and high-quality environment which is compliant with all statutory requirements plus organisational wide leadership for environmental sustainability.
Estates duties including ensuring a safe and high-quality environment which is compliant with all statutory requirements, such as DH Technical guidance, industry best practice and CQC standards applicable to the estate and related services, including medical equipment.
The postholder will be passionate in leading our work for environmental sustainability and promote our sustainability agenda, including delivery of the green UHD plan. This will involve working across the health system and with partners including Councils, Universities and industry and leading on the delivery of our NHS Zero Carbon agenda.
You will be responsible for ensuring compliance within the estates portfolio, accountable for:
- Operational estates
- Environmental sustainability
- Energy management
- Engineering services
- Staff accommodation
- Clinical engineering & Equipment Library
- Front of house services
- Car Parking and Travel
Our Trust is comprised of three hospitals the Royal Bournemouth Hospital, Poole Hospital and Christchurch Hospital, which merged on 1st October 2020, creating University Hospitals Dorset (UHD) NHS Foundation Trust. This new organisation provides huge opportunities and benefits to the way we deliver patient care both now and in the future, and enables us to deliver better outcomes, improved quality and more efficient services.The Trust has an annual income of �760m and employs c. 10,000 staff across our three hospital sites.Our catchment population is approximately 750,000 and covers Dorset, the New Forest and South Wiltshire areas.
We have a number ofexciting developments
due to take place over the next few years, coupled with an ambitious transformation agenda. The Royal Bournemouth Hospital will become the major emergency hospital and Poole Hospital will become the major planned hospital.The total programme of works runs up to 2026 and forms part of the �500m transformation and development plans for our hospital sites.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- As Director of Estates and Environment you will be an experienced leader that will develop and advise on the Estates Strategy, and provide a competent source of professional advice in matters relating to the Trusts estate and technical services. As a leader we will look to you to drive safe estates, sustainable practices, manage budgets, invest in infrastructure, promote staff health and wellbeing, and enhance quality management systems. This requires developing the leadership, processes and workforce that are essential to success.
- We are looking for a developed estates professional, with a core value of compassion and a credible track record of achievements. Whilst there will be a portfolio of responsibilities for the postholder, there may be an expectation to contribute beyond these immediate areas. This includes promoting the Trust values, and working across boundaries of geography, professions and sectors.
- A people-focused leader is critical in this role, ensuring a culture is developed that supports our colleagues to be the best they can be. As a result of this, improving health outcomes for our patients and the communities we serve.
- As the estate transforms with �500m of investment we recognise there will be extensive impact on this portfolio of responsibilities, and therefore, multi-disciplinary working is essential to ensure changes and improvements are both successful and sustainable.
- UHD is adopting the Patient First methodology, including standardising processes and ensuring continual improvement. As Director of Estates and Environment you will ensure this is applied within Estates, and across the Green Plan, which will support our vision and strategic goals.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please contact:
Helen Childs -
Principal Consultant, Healthcare
Contact Number: +44 (0)77363 78474 To apply please send a CV to Helen.Childs@odgersberndtson.com ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE MADE THROUGH ODGERS Closing date for applications: 25th September
We look forward to your application.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Educated to Degree as a minimum, with evidence of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Chartered engineer/surveyor or equivalent status
- Degree or Post Graduate level professional qualification in an Estates or Environmental related discipline
- Track record in delivering environmental goals and practices within a large-scale organisation
- Extensive experience in managing NHS or similar complex estates services, for safe, cost effective services
- Demonstrate expertise in infrastructure investment planning and implementation. This includes experience of large contract procurement and management
- Significant budget management experience (capital and revenue) and track record of delivering financial targets
- Exceptional project management skills with the ability to lead and deliver complex projects across stakeholders
- Experience in a senior management role at Director or Deputy Director level in a large complex organisation
- Experience of working in a QMS directed environment
- Management of other FM services
- Experience of senior leadership requirements and working at/with Director level in NHS hospital environment
- Track record of influencing change
- Ability to use CAD or similar design software
- Experience of acquisition and disposal of assets/land and property
- Excellent understanding of quality management systems and their application in a healthcare setting
- Clear understanding of infrastructure and engineering systems, (e.g. power, medical gas, water and disposal
- Ability to think strategically and manage operationally
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to analyse and interpret complex information and be able to present succinctly and clearly
- Matrix management (the ability to manage and influence others when there is not a direct line management relationship)
- Strong commercial acumen
- Ability to undertake duties associated with the provision of emergency on call including attendance on site out of normal hours as required within 60 minutes
- High level of technical and management knowledge gained within a highly complex environment, managing multiple tasks simultaneously and often to very short deadlines.
- Experience in implementing digital solutions to improve performance and quality
- Familiarity with renewable energy technologies and energy-efficient practices
- Working/dealing with press and media enquiries
- Detailed knowledge of estates compliance and legal duties
- Comprehensive understanding risk management approaches and good practice
- Good knowledge with regard to Sustainability and Carbon Reduction
Other requirements specific to the roleEssential
- Knowledge of NHS policies, procedures, and regulations related to estates and environmental management
- In depth knowledge of NHS Estates and Facilities related standards, HTM's statutory compliance requirements and Health and Safety Regulation
- Healthcare related sustainability good practice
- A proactive and results-oriented approach, with a focus on continuous improvement and innovation
- Outstanding leadership qualities with the ability to motivate and inspire teams
- Value set aligned with UHD values
- Listening to Understand: Demonstrates active listening skills and seeks to understand diverse perspectives
- One Team: Collaborates effectively with colleagues, stakeholders, external partners to achieve shared goals
- Caring: Shows compassion, empathy, and genuine concern for the wellbeing of staff and patients
- Open and Honest: Displays transparency and integrity in all interactions and communications
- Always Improving: Demonstrates a commitment to continuous learning and professional development
- Inclusive: Values diversity & promotes an inclusive work environment that respects and appreciates individual differences
- Self-awareness (i.e. impact on others)
- High level of personal integrity and honesty
- Corporate and team player, with respectful working style
- Resilience and tenacity, able to work under pressure, remain calm and meet deadlines.
- Reliable and flexible approach to work to ensure delivery of agreed commitments
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to speak English as necessary to undertake the role
University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.