The maternity unit at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust are looking to recruit Band 6 midwives to join our maternity team as bank staff.
Joining our team would mean you become part of the GSTT women's services family. We are proudly a respectful multi-professional and dynamic team working together to provide the best care for women and their families.
Bank staff have the flexibility of choosing shifts that work best for them.
If you would like to join our team and have further questions please contact Marie.firstname.lastname@example.orgMain duties of the job
Our bank midwives will have the opportunity to work across the unit providing expert midwifery care and support to women and their families.
We work as part of a MDT and you will liaise with and receive support from other health care professionals on the ward such as doctors, nurses and more senior midwives.
You will be supported by our practice leaders, our PMA's and PDM team to build on your skills and confidence as you progress through your midwifery career.About us
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust comprises five of the UK's bestknown hospitals - Guy's, St Thomas', Evelina London Children's Hospital,Royal Brompton and Harefield - as well as community services in Lambethand Southwark, all with a long history of high quality care, clinical excellence, research and innovation.
We are among the UK's busiest, most successful foundation trusts. We provide specialist care for patients including heart and lung, cancer and renal services as well as a full range of local hospital and community services for people in Lambeth and Southwark.
We have a long tradition of clinical and scientific achievement and - as part of King's Health Partners - we are one of England's eight academic health sciences centres, bringing together world-class clinical services, teaching and research. We have one of the National Institute for Health Research's biomedical research centres, established with King's College London in 2007, as well as dedicated clinical research facilities.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesDuties and Responsibilities
- Work in accordance with the NMC rules and code of conduct for midwives.
- Maintain and develop their professional knowledge and competence in accordance within the NMC recommendations.
- Work with the Trust policies and protocols and enable all members of the practice to carry out care within these guidelines.
- Maintain good standards of care within their designated practice and assist in the implementation of recommendations from Government and professional bodies in relation to maternity care.
- Work with the MPL in the monitoring of standards of care.
- Maintain efficient and effective communication and working relationships with other professional groups and staff working within the Trust.
- Utilise the full skills of a midwife (both integral and extended) in the provision of care to women and their families.
- In liaison with the MPL ensure that midwifery practice is in keeping with current research findings and is appropriate for each individual woman for whom care is being provided.
- Participate in both midwifery and maternity education programmes required as per local and trust training needs.
- Assume responsibility for the safe custody and administration of drugs in accordance with the District Policies and Statutory Rules and Regulations.
- Assist the MPL with the co-ordination of the clinical activities of the practice and 'act up' when required.
- Assist with orientation programmes which familiarise new members of staff with the organisational and clinical demands of the unit and group practice.
- Supervise the work of the non-midwife, qualified or unqualified staff as well as midwifery, medical and nursing students.
- Maintain stores and equipment ensuring proper economic use.
- Report complaints, incidents and accidents to the MPL or midwifery manager and assist in their investigation and resolution.
- Ensure that working conditions are safe in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act.
- To be fully informed of the risk management strategy, be responsible for reporting incidents, risk assessment and development of action plans to reduce risk.
The post holder is required to follow Trust policies and procedures which are regularly updated
Please see attached Job Description for full detailsPerson SpecificationKnowledgeEssential
- Education- Registered midwife
- Have completed a preceptorship program
- Examination of the Newborn
- HDU course
- Previous experience-worked in a variety of settings utilising all midwifery skills
- Experience of taking charge of the ward
- Can practice as an autonomous midwife in the acute and primary care setting
- Good written skills, well presented and fully completed application
Values and behavioursEssential Employer detailsEmployer name
- Confident in teaching and assessing student midwives
- Able to act up for the Band 7
- Demonstrate forward planning, problem recognition, pre-emption and resolution
- Develops action plans and initives to improve the service.
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation TrustAddress
St Thomas' Hospital
Lambeth Palace Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.
196-BANK MIDWIFE SEP