We are recruiting for a Senior Complementary Therapist who shares our vision to be trusted to provide consistently outstanding care and exemplary service to our patients.
This role offers a great opportunity to join a well-established team of complementary therapists working within a dedicated Cancer Support Centre at Mount Vernon Hospital. You will be a highly experienced adaptable therapist excited at the prospect of becoming part of a fabulous team of specialist practitioners committed to supporting patients through their cancer pathway and beyond.
Our team is led by 2 part-time Complementary Therapy Coordinators working on a job share basis to provide one whole time role. We offer a variety of carefully tailored complementary therapies to outpatients within the Lynda Jackson Macmillan Centre and to patients within the chemotherapy units and cancer wards.
The therapies we offer are Aromatherapy, Indian Head Massage, Massage, Reflexology, Reiki, Relaxation and NADA ear acupuncture. We also make tailor-made aromatherapy nasal inhalers
Our aim is to offer support, relaxation and the relief of stress and stress-related symptoms. Compassionate and reassuring use of touch is central to this role, whilst also recognizing the importance of the quality of the therapeutic relationship between the practitioner and the recipient.
Our Values are Include, Respect and Improve. It is important that you understand and refer to our values during your recruitment process and beyond!Main duties of the job
The post holder is responsible for providing a specialist service to cancer patients.
Assess and treat own caseload of patients for the complementary therapy service within the drop-in centre, wards and chemotherapy units.
Provide complementary therapy information and advice to multi-disciplinary staff.
Participate in research/evaluation within the Therapies team/Mount Vernon Cancer Centre.
Mentor less experienced and volunteer complementary therapists.
Contribute to education and training.About us
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
ENHT is seeking to maintain and expand the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre staff as we move to an exciting new future.
We welcome applications from those who would relish the opportunity to be part of new and developing cancer service, building on the excellent reputation, research and patient experience the Cancer Centre already delivers.
In addition, you will receive a High Cost Area Supplement of 15% of your basic salary, subject to a minimum payment of �4,314 and a maximum payment of �5,436 per annum pro rata.
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.Person SpecificationPrevious ExperienceEssential
- Considerable experience of actively using therapies since qualification - ideally 2 years or more
- Experience of working with cancer patients
- Previous experience of working in an NHS or other health setting e.g. wards or outpatients
- To have taken part in research into complementary therapy
- Good written and verbal communication skills, particularly listening skills
- Good organizational skills , including record keeping skills
- Good computer skills - including working knowledge of spreadsheets & Databases
- Ability to work as part of a team/be a team player
- Ability to work independently, manage own caseload and to be self-motivated
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- To demonstrate empathy, kindness & compassion
- Ability to plan CT treatments that are compatible with complex cancer needs
- Ability to take part in complementary therapy research as appropriate
- Presentation skills
- To have participated in communication skills training
- Diploma or qualification awarded by a private college or training institute in at least 2 core therapies offered within the Complementary Therapies team e.g. auricular acupuncture [NADA], aromatherapy, massage, reflexology, relaxation, reiki
- A nationally recognized qualification and insurance
- Registration with a professionally accredited register i.e. Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council or British Acupuncture Council
- Anatomy & Physiology to diploma level
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Degree in health related subject, e.g. Complementary Therapy, Nursing etc
East and North Herts NHS TrustAddress
Mount Vernon Cancer Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.