A permanent opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic Occupational Therapist to join the Acute Team within the In Patient Therapy teams at CHFT. Successful candidates will support the Clinical Leads and Team Leaders in the delivery of occupational therapy interventions across the elderly, medical, Trauma Orthopaedic and acute therapy areas of the Trust, and support in the development of the service and its staff.There will be opportunities to be involved in local and Divisional projects which contribute to the overall vision of the organisation.
Applicants should be aware that we provide a 7 day service provision and the successful candidate would be expected to participate in weekend working as part of their role.
The role is mainly based at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, but if the service requires it, there is an expectation that you will also work at Calderdale Hospital at times.Main duties of the job
- To carry out specialist assessment and treatment of acutely ill patients across Calderdale and Huddersfield inpatient wards with the aim of preventing hospital admissions and/or facilitating safe and timely discharges and appropriate transfer of care/referral to community health and social care services.
- Determine a clinical diagnosis, develop, deliver, implement, evaluate and modify individualised treatment programmes and/or provide specialist advice, ensuring appropriate pathways of care and communication via liaison and referral to other agencies as required.
- Take part in the education and training of Occupational therapists and qualified and non-qualified healthcare / social series / education staff including medical staff.
- To support the Clinical Leads / Team Leader in the day to day running of the OT service within the Acute therapy team
- To support and advise within the wider MDT on the delivery of the service.
- To work across a 7 day service .
CHFT is large trust which covers both Calderdale and Huddersfield localities.
The therapy team is a forward thinking department where staff development and wellbeing is central to what we do. The therapy team covers a wider range of clinical areas.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To work within the acute therapy service, developing effective clinical contribute to clinical practice in the team in line with current evidence base.
- Interventions within the specialty of medicine and elderly care in order to aid safe discharge
- To manage autonomously a clinical workload of patients / clients at a
- Specialist level, assessing and treating patients and maintaining clinical records
To have specialist assessment and treatment skills in the areas listed but not limited to:
*Physical rehabilitation through exercise and function
*Assessment of risk for discharge
*Complex psychosocial assessment of patients and carers
*Discharge and transfer of care planning and co-ordination
*Assessment of the home / discharge environment
*Assessment for assistive equipment and adaptation
*Falls assessment and treatment
* Crisis intervention
* Cognitive and perceptual deficits
Person SpecificationPRACTICAL / INTELLECTUAL SKILLEssential
- To apply evidence based knowledge within the specialist clinical area acquired through experience and academic study to a specialist post graduate level.
- To act, within the acute therapy service, as a resource and provide advice for colleagues within the MDT about the assessment, treatment, management and care of patients / clients who have a multi-pathological illness and/or complex psychosocial need.
- Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists and other professionals and to work collaboratively with health and social care community and acute colleagues.
- To work with other members of the MDT to ensure effective care pathways and transfer of care / discharges.
- To proactively and appropriately facilitate a seamless transfer of care and continuing therapeutic management of medical and elderly care patients between care settings.
- To work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary manner within the MDT, being able to aspects of blurred boundary working, where appropriate.
- debate the blurring of boundaries across professions and where competent take on
- To develop specialist programmes of assessment, treatment and intervention for medical and elderly care patients in the acute hospital setting.
- To manage and prioritise own clinical workload as appropriate, working efficiently levels of other team members to ensure the effective delivery of the service.
- to manage professional time and delegate according to the training and competency
- To participate in the supervision process with staff on a daily basis and for students as required.
- To ensure a high standard of patient care is provided including implementing and reviewing clinical standards relevant to the work undertaken.
- To provide specialist assessment and advice for the multidisciplinary team and actively participate in MDT meetings as appropriate.
- To be a manual handling key trainer.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE / EXPERTISEEssential
- Demonstrates positive attitude and behaviours
- Excellent Time Management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with people with complex difficulties and in difficult situations
- Recognises own limitations and have willingness to share and learn from others
- Ability to concentrate and work in conditions requiring emotional demands
- Ability to identify and articulate own training needs
- Self motivated with ability to work independently and influence others
- Excellent Team Player
- Proven ability to work well in a team
- Ability to make decisions and problem solve when dealing with routine situations
- Ability to organise and priorities own and others work and caseload
- Ability to work in a stressful environment and concentrate in conditions requiring emotional demands
- Ability to recognise own limitations and have a willingness to share and learn skills from others
- Knowledge and expertise in assessing and treating medical and elderly care patients eg, falls, dementia, neurological and coronary conditions, and patients with complex physical and psychosocial needs
- Ability to assess risk on discharge and to put risk reduction measures in place
- Post graduate training in specialist area, eg, complex care, falls, dementia, oncology
- Evidence of up to date best practice in acute medicine, emergency care, elderly care, falls, dementia Awareness of relevant Legislation, Local and National initiatives
- Understanding of Clinical Governance
- Critical Appraisal Skills
- Ability to maintain legible and accurate records
- Teaching/Presentation skills eg, presenting in service training
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, NSF's and local/National initiatives
- Attendance at relevant Special Interest Groups
- Experience developing others
- Relevant Accredited Postgraduate Training
- Previous experience working at Band 6 level
- Manual Handling Facilitator
- Recent experience demonstrating ability to assess, treat and evaluate therapy intervention in falls,dementia,neurological, respiratory and coronary conditions and patients with complex physical and psychosocial needs.
- Good Clinical Reasoning skills
- Evidence of CPD, self directed learning and Reflective Practice
- Experience in contributing to service improvements e.g. Audit, patient information etc.
- Experience in dealing with complaints (e.g. diffusing complaint or investigating complaint)
- Relevant degree/diploma
- Registered with HCPC / NMC
- Evidence of Postgraduate Training
- Clinical Educator Training
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Member of Professional Body
- Studied at Masters level or equivalent
Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Huddersfield Royal Infimary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.