The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital is a modern forward thinking teaching hospital offering acute care to a population of over 1 million. The Trust is a specialist cancer centre and the number of patients using these services each year is increasing, with plans to become the lead provider in oncology services across the STP. A new centre based at the Cromer Hospital site opened last year providing new chair spaces for treatment, increasing the requirement of Aseptic Services.
Aseptic Services within the Pharmacy Department is a busy unit manufacturing approx. 2,000 aseptic items per month. It also co-ordinates the sourcing of TPN for both adults and children. The Pharmacy Department has approx. 180 members of staff in total and is at the forefront of healthcare delivery with a strong focus on innovative practice.
Norwich itself is a vibrant city, with excellent shopping, restaurants and nightlife, yet surrounded by beautiful countryside. The unique combination of the Norfolk Broads, picturesque coastline and a choice of city or rural living make Norwich an ideal home. Interview Date: 4th October 2023Main duties of the job
Following a recent service review, the Pharmacy Department are seeking an Operations Manager for Aseptic Services to increase the continuity of management within the unit.
As an Operations Manager, you will manage the day-to-day staffing and activity of the Aseptic Services Unit and play an active part in developing and improving Aseptic Services. You will also play a key role in the development and installation of a new facility which will need to have the ability to hold an MHRA licence in the future. You will need to work closely with Aseptic Services colleagues to ensure a safe unit that complies with NHS England guidance for Assurance of Aseptic Preparation of Medicines, in conjunction with the Operations Manager, Quality Services.
To meet the requirements of this post, you will be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council ie, pharmacist or pharmacy technician, and have significant experience working in an aseptic unit. Amanagement qualification or equivalent management experience is also a must. You will need to respond to changing demands on a daily basis and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The post is part-time with the majority of hours to be worked Wednesday to Friday. There is a requirement to participate in 7-day services working 1 weekend day every 10 weeks in Dispensary and on the Bank Holiday rota for Aseptic Services.About us
Join us at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and be part of a workforce of over 10,000 staff!
The NNUH is one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK, providing first-class acute care for around one million people, living in Norfolk and surrounding areas. We are a teaching and research hospital, at the forefront of innovation, home to state-of-the-art facilities, such as the Quadram Institute. We are pleased to work closely with the University of East Anglia, providing teaching opportunities for our staff and placement opportunities for their students. We attract some of the best and leading professionals from across the country and are proud that our workforce represents 94 countries from across the world.
We are a friendly, collaborative hospital, working with local services and home to N& N Hospitals Charity
We can offer you the full range of NHS benefits/discounts and in addition:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Flexible working hours
- Fast Track Staff Physiotherapy Service
- Multi Faith prayer room
- Discounted gym memberships
- Excellent pension scheme and annual leave entitlement
- Wagestream - access up to 40% of your pay as you earn it
- Free Park & Ride service direct to NNUH site
- Free 24-hours confidential counselling support
- On-site Nursery
- On-site cafes offering staff discounts
- Support in career development
- Flexible staff bank
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars, Cycle to Work scheme and home electronics
The following skills and experience will be required and are essential for the successful candidates:
Please refer to the Job Description for the full specification of responsibilities and requirements for this post.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- To liaise and consult with Principal Pharmacist, Preparative Services and Operations Manager, Quality Services to ensure that the operation of Pharmacy Preparative Services Unit and aseptic dispensing services complies with the requirements of EL(97)52 audits undertaken by regional Quality Assurance, and Department of Health circulars.
- Liaises with the Operations Manager, Quality Services to ensure high standards within Preparative Services are improved and maintained.
- Ensures, through the Preparative Services Pharmacy Technicians, that all staff are appropriately deployed within Preparative Services to respond to changing workload and staffing patterns, to include organisation and prioritisation.
- Ensures that Preparative Services performance meets locally agreed KPIs for timeliness, accuracy, stock control and customer satisfaction and ensures that performance data to measure these are collected recorded and summarised.
- Continuously reviews all systems of work and develops ways of working which improves safety and efficiency.
- Ensures the Pharmaceutical Quality System is maintained in line with national requirements
- Current registration with the General Pharmaceutical Council as a Pharmacist or Pharmacy Technician
- Certificate/Diploma/Masters in Pharmaceutical Technology and Quality Assurance (PTQA)
- Previous hospital pharmacy experience with significant post-qualification aseptic preparation experience
- Experience in a supervisory / lead role within hospital pharmacy
- Ability to react and manage changing situations on a daily basis and manage staff accordingly
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Effective role model, demonstrating NNUH's PRIDE values of People focussed, Respect, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence
- Demonstrates understanding and commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Norfolk and Norwich University HospitalAddress
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.