Ward Manager, Fordwich Ward - Acute Respiratory Ward, an exiting opportunity for a ward manager's position on an acute respiratory ward at QEQM. We are looking for a highly motivated nurse leader. For this post a strong clinical background is required to look after respiratory patients requiring non invasive ventilation support and optiflow, and to be able to provide the care and management of patients with tracheostomies and chest drains is desirable to support the development of our junior nursing team and to ensure our patients receive a high standard of care.
To provide clinical, professional and managerial leadership for a ward based team of registered nurses and health care assistants. By working clinically as a member of the nursing team you will ensure a positive patient experience through the delivery of high standards of patient care.
As a ward manager you will have 24 hour responsibility for the standards of care in your ward and will be accountable for:
- Securing and assuring the highest standards of clinical care with the support of the Matron and Head of Nursing
The post holder is required to uphold and model the Trust values in everything they do.
Main duties of the job
- Effectively managing clinical and non-clinical risk reporting to the manager within the Care Group Clinical Governance framework.
To manage a complex agenda of leading the ward team, ensuring a therapeutic environment for care and a positive patient experience, maintaining and reporting clinical standards/metrics, managing a ward team of nursing and support staff and ensuring competence and acting as an expert practitioner.
To maintain credibility and flexibility as a competent practitioner in an ever changing environment, while continuing to develop professionally in line with the demands of a responsive nursing service focused on the needs of patients.
To provide support and assistance to the matron and Care Group Head of Nursing to provide a quality nursing service within your area, with forward thinking, autonomous nurses, managed within the financial and organisational envelope of East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust.About us
The organisation is currently launching its new improvement focus in the form of an improvement system called We Care. The We Care System is a fundamentally new model that the organisation will be shifting to, it champions empowerment, promotes innovation and will bolster the connection and collaboration of staff throughout the organisation.
The We Care System utilises a multi-layered approach to improvement allowing staff to develop and produce a variety of ideas to combat the issues and problems that have been identified. The system allows for the deployment of:
- Strategic Initiatives which are long term projects and focus led and driven by our executive
- Trust Priority Improvement Projects which are short term projects allocated to a range of project teams made up from our staff groups focusing on impacting our True North metrics and breakthrough objectives
- Ward Based OMS which delivers daily management and continuous improvement on the frontline
Applications for this role should be written by the applicant. If artificial intelligence (AI) programmes are used then the application may be rejected due to this document being an important part of the assessment process. This does not prevent applicants seeking appropriate support with applications should they need to for the purposes of any declared disability.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please scroll down to access the full Job Description and Person Specification located in 'supporting documents'.Person SpecificationExperienceEssential
- Two years' experience at Band 6 in a hospital setting within acute/emergency medicine. Resolving user concerns effectively. Continuous quality improvement. Experience in managing change. (3)
- Five years post registration experience in a variety of acute clinical settings. Some experience in budget management (3)
- Expert clinical skills. Communication skills. Facilitation skills, Staff development and empowerment. Negotiating and influencing skills
- Health and Safety.
- Leadership/management of staff
- Respiratory competencies
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Registered general nurse. Degree in nursing or working towards degree of equivalent. Preparation or mentors of equivalent
East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Queen Elizabeth Queen Mother Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.