Enhanced Health in Care Homes -Community Matron - Learning Disabilities Band 7 Contract: Permanent - Full-time
Come and join the EHCH Team as a Band 7 Community Matron supporting the health and wellbeing of adults living with a diagnosed learning disability in Haringey.
You will need a specific interest in working with adults with learning disabilities as your role will be to look at the holistic needs to support people to remain in their homes. You will help educate supported living, residential services and families about the long-term conditions, people with a learning disability may be living with.
You will work proactively with colleagues across health and social care to identify the person's health needs and co-ordinate the required response.
You will support decision making about people's health-care pathways, liaising with Haringey Learning Disabilities Partnership (HLDP) colleagues, GPs and acute settings.
You will proactively manage a caseload of people, requiring complex case management, in order to keep people living in their homes. You will also work to prevent hospital admissions and facilitate early discharge to improve the person's health outcomes.
You will work autonomously and proactively co-ordinate care and navigate the person through pathways across the primary, secondary care interface, including the prevention of unnecessary admissions, facilitating appropriate ones, in reach and regular work in the hospital setting.Main duties of the jobMAIN DUTIES
- To work with health and social care teams to manage and co-ordinate the care of people in the community, living with a learning disability and with complex health needs.
- To work with the person, support network in self-management of their conditions, maintain quality of life and minimizing the need for hospital admissions.
- To work with colleagues from Haringey Learning Disability Partnership (HLDP), supported living providers and GP practices to facilitate holistic and responsive care for example via MDT meetings.
- To ensure that, as the named Community Matron, you communicate with professional teams for each person on your caseload.
- To undertake a comprehensive baseline assessment and review for the person. Where appropriate, in conjunction with their support networks: relatives and support workers/carers and the HLDP team.
- To use the assessment to agree and implement a personalised health plan, to be agreed with the person and their support networks.
- To ensure that there are effective communications with other agencies about the personalised health plans and maximise the input of these agencies to support people to remain in their home.
- To promote self-management and health gain through education and health promotion activity.
- To undertake prescribing as required and to ensure that medications are reviewed and highlight possible interactions and changes in line with Whittington Health Nurse Prescribing policy.
Whittington Health serves a richly diverse population and works hard to ensure that all services are fair and equally accessible to everyone. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the way we look after our staff. We aim to employ a workforce which is as representative as possible of this population, so we are open to the value of differences in age, disability, gender, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, sexual orientation, and religion or belief. The Trust believes that as a public sector organisation we have an obligation to have recruitment, training, promotion and other formal employment policies and procedures that are sensitive to these differences. We think that by doing so, we are better able to treat our patients as well as being a better place to work.
Our ICARE (Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence) Values not only help us shape what we do, but also how we do it and why. They are fundamental to the way we do business and care for our patients. Click to find out more about our Adult Community Services, what it is like to work for Whittington Health, and why you should join our team
For more information, please access the following link: https://www.whittington.nhs.uk/Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To perform and document episodic examinations to support proactive monitoring of chronic diseases and identification of early symptoms of exacerbation and liaise with professionals as necessary
- To follow-up any significant event and collaborate with the GP and others within twenty four hours to review and amend treatment following any acute episodes, hospital admissions and exacerbations.
- To ensure that as far as possible the person's care is provided in the community working with their GP and support networks: relatives, support workers/carers and the HLDP team.
- To liaise with acute hospitals and specifically the acute liaison learning disabilities professional in the event of a hospital admission or Emergency Department attendance to facilitate a safe and speedy discharge.
- To undertake a review with the GP and person's care team within three working days to see whether the person's management needs to be amended to prevent a recurrence.
- Facilitate the early discharge of the person from inpatient wards and complete their recovery in their home environment.
- To ensure that all discharges from the caseload are discussed and agreed .
- To work with secondary care to identify individuals suitable for discharge and community management and be proactive in pursuing this.
- To lead by personal example of best infection control practice at all times.
- Degree in Nursing
- NMC registered
- Non-medical prescribing course / Independent Prescribing or willingness to work towards
- Advanced physical assessment course or willingness to work towards
- Experience of managing patients with chronic conditions
- Computer literate, able to understand and interpret relevant clinical data and information
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Good Communication
- Knowledge of Multidisciplinary working with integrated Hospital and Community settings.
- Ability to support learning and education for patients, carers and practitioners
- Able to prioritize and work flexibly and to make autonomous decisions
- Leadership experience
Whittington Hospital NHS TrustAddress
Lordship Lane Health Centre
239 Lordship Lane
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.