The POCT team are seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic HCPC registered Senior Healthcare Scientist (Biomedical Scientist) to join the team as the Team Lead to cover maternity leave.
You will assist in service delivery providing high level support and training of end users/staff in use of POCT equipment. You will need a good grounding in laboratory practices, team supervision, audit, quality management and must have the ability to train effectively at any level. You must have a proven background in both point of care testing devices and making a difference to patient care. You will be expected to participate in the on-call service.
Joining our busy team requires dedication, motivation and excellent organisational skills. We can offer you an exciting opportunity to extend your experience and enhance your skills in a wide range of investigations across our sites. If you feel you need a challenge and can see yourself working outside the traditional laboratory environment closer to the patient, supporting our end users and helping to manage a complex 24/7 service - we would welcome your application.Main duties of the job
To practice as a Senior Healthcare Scientist with HPC registration.
To assist in service delivery providing high level support and training of end users/staff in use of POCT equipment.
To follow departmental operating procedures for the efficient processing of requested laboratory tests, data analysis, reporting and communication of results.
This post involves staff supervision and the organisation and delivery of training as required.
As part of the leadership team you would be expected to be involved in audit and delivery of the quality management system.
On occasions you may be required to deputise for the lead scientist/Service lead.About usOur Trust
Cambridge University Hospitals (CUH) NHS Foundation Trust comprises Addenbrooke's Hospital and the Rosie Hospital in Cambridge. With over 11000 staff and over 1100 beds the priorities of the Trust focus on a quality service which is all about people - patients, staff and partners. Recognised as providing 'outstanding' care to our patients and rated 'Good' overall by the Care Quality Commissioner, is testament to the skill and dedication of the people who work here. CUH's values - Together - Safe, Kind, Excellent - are at the heart of patient care, defining the way all staff work and behave. The Trust provides accessible high-quality healthcare for the local people of Cambridge, together with specialist services, dealing with rare or complex conditions for a regional, national and international population.
CUH is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves. We value our differences and fully advocate and support an inclusive working environment where every individual can fulfil their potential. We want to ensure our people are truly representative of all the communities that we serve. We welcome applications for all positions in the organisation irrespective of people's age, disability, ethnicity, race, nationality, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marriage and civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity status or social economic background.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see the attached Applicant Information Pack (combined Job Description and Person Specification) for key duties and responsibilities.
Please note:- Internal applicants on permanent contracts can only apply for this post as a secondment and must have the approval of your current line manager before applying.
This vacancy will close at midnight on the 26th September 2023.
Interviews are due to be held on the 29th September 2023. Benefits to you
We offer development opportunities and a wide range of benefits including on-site leisure facilities, shopping concourse, day nurseries and access to a great transport system with easy access to airports and rail travel.
Please note if you would like to discuss the required hours of this role further, you should approach the contact given. In some cases alternative working hours will be considered.
We welcome applications from the Armed Forces.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- MSc/ FIBMS or equivalent.
- IF not in possession of the above be in the final year of an accredited MSc or equivalent.
- HCPC registration.
- Evidence of CPD.
- Training qualification related to medical education or device training.
- Quality management qualification.
- Significant experience of POCT.
- Experience of Quality management systems.
- Use of Laboratory information systems.
- Training of large groups of people to use devices.
- Use of POCT software applications.
- Microsoft office products.
- Use of EPIC.
- Multi-site POCT device management.
- Accreditation with UKAS.
- IBMS training accreditation and Training officer requirements.
- Blood gas, blood glucose result troubleshooting and advice.
- Analytical considerations relating to POCT device application to patient pathways.
- Health and safety procedures.
- Understanding of clinical Governance and its implications for service, quality and audit.
- Awareness of the clinical implications of pre and post analytical errors.
- The role of the clinical laboratory in an NHS Foundation Trust.
- Device connection/communication protocols e.g. POCT1a.
- Recruitment and selection procedures.
- POCT national guidelines.
- Knowledge of UKAS requirements for ISO 15189 & 22870 standards.
- Other POCT troubleshooting and advice for results and devices.
- Interpretation of POCT blood and urine tests.
- Able to work both in a team and as an individual.
- Ability to work in an organised manner and to high standards.
- Show attention to detail.
- Ability to work with a high level of accuracy and precision.
- Skills to undertake a range of POCT investigations.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to cope under pressure.
- Manual dexterity.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods.
- The ability to problem solve and trouble shoot.
- Good communication.
- Ability to organise unqualified and junior staff.
- FBC interpretation.
- Troubleshooting IT connectivity issues.
- Staff appraisal.
- Presentation skills.
- Procurement/ordering skills.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Flexible in relationship to working hours.
- The ability to understand and behave at all times, towards patients, visitors and colleagues according to the Trust values of kind, safe and excellent.
- This behaviour is outlined on the final page of this person specification.
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Addenbrookes Hospital - Division B
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.