The joint Acute and Community Adult SLT Team are a friendly and supportive group of Therapists, Assistants and admin staff serving the Fylde Coast population. We work hard with other service providers to provide a high-quality responsive service to our patients and their carers. We are dedicated to continued service improvement and over recent years have developed our telehealth capabilities within the community and our inpatient FEES service alongside our long-established videofluoroscopy service. We are also committed to continuing professional development and the training of SLT students.
Due to temporary staff changes, the Adult SLT team have a fixed term opportunity working both within our community and acute inpatient teams. We are seeking to appoint enthusiastic and motivated Band 6 Speech and Language Therapists however a Band 5 to Band 6 development post would be considered for the right applicant. Part time hours and flexible working will also be considered. The post-holder will ideally have post-graduate competency in dysphagia management. They will provide a responsive and person-centred service to patients with a wide range of swallowing and communication problems in the acute setting and a variety of community setting including telehealth. The post holder will be flexible, diligent and be able to work as part of a team.Main duties of the job
- To be responsible for the management of a caseload of adults with a variety of swallowing and communication difficulties.
- To be involved in the provision of support, guidance and information to patients, their families, MDT and other professionals regarding swallowing and communication disorders.
- To participate in the clinical supervision and education of speech and language therapy assistants.
- To participate in the clinical education of speech and language therapy students.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is situated on the Fylde Coast. The Trust provides services to the 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre and North Lancashire, as well as specialist tertiary care for Cardiac and Haematology patients.
As one of the United Kingdom's largest coastal resort, Blackpool has plenty to offer its residents - it's not just a good place to work it's a great place to live. In addition to its bustling centre and historic seafront, the town is world famous for its many attractions, including the famous Blackpool Tower. Blackpool also offers a number of scenic cycling routes round our local parks and across the surrounding countryside, as well as boasting panoramic views of the coast on its picturesque Promenade. Further afield, Blackpool also benefits from less than three-hour connections via rail to Edinburgh in the north and London in the south.
We recommend that all individuals employed in patient facing roles, or those located on a ward or department where patients receive a service should be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationEDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONSEssential
- To be clinically responsible for the management of an identified adult caseload to assess and review level of need and to organise this efficiently and effectively with regards to clinical priorities and time management principles.
- To undertake comprehensive assessment of swallowing and communication needs using an appropriate mix of standardised assessments, informal assessment, and clinical observation skills.
- To provide speech and language therapy intervention in a variety of environments including outpatient clinic, patients own home, via telehealth or telephone. This may involve direct therapy or the provision of programs to be undertaken by others.
- To provide evidence-based therapy intervention on an individual or group basis according to the assessed needs.
- To evaluate treatment programmes and patient progress, reassessing and altering treatment programmes as required using recognised outcome measures, assessment tools and clinical skills.
- To participate in training and clinical supervision of speech and language therapy assistants.
- To allocate and delegate appropriate tasks to speech and language therapy assistants, ensuring that the assistants have the competencies required to undertake these tasks
- To communicate effectively with other members of the speech and language therapy team, admin staff and Team Leader to ensure smooth and efficient delivery of the speech and language therapy service in the community.
- To work as lone practitioner in a variety of community settings within Trust policies and guidelines.
- To assist Team Leader and senior clinicians with aspects of service management e.g., timetabling, pathway development.
- For additional responsibilities, please see the full Job Description.
- Honours Degree or equivalent in Speech and Language Therapy
- Registered member of HCPC & RCSLT
- A demonstrable commitment to CPD activity with evidence of same.
- Additional training in the area of dysphagia
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGEEssential
- Involvement in a Clinical Excellence Network
- Successful completion of a relevant Leadership course
- Specialist knowledge of current best practice and experience in the diagnosis, treatment and management of a wide range of swallowing and communication difficulties in the adult population.
- Experience formulating patient-centred therapy goals and treatment plans in conjunction with patients, carers/family and the MDT.
- Experience in providing education and support to patients / carers & other professionals regarding communication and swallowing difficulties.
- Sound knowledge surrounding clinical governance and general NHS issues (e.g. safeguarding, consent, MCA 2005 etc) and national guidelines/policies relevant to an adult caseload.
- Experience of working with speech and language therapy assistants.
- Experience in the clinical education of speech and language therapy students.
SKILLS AND ABILITYEssential
- Experience of delivering training to others.
- Involvement in audits and an understanding of research and quality issues
- Experience in conducting and interpreting videofluoroscopy
- Have a strong degree of personal integrity able to adhere to standards of conduct be dependable and reliable
- Positive attitude to dealing with change flexible and adaptable, willing to accept change and adapt as required.
- Ability to use initiative.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to include observation, active listening and empathy.
- Excellent presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Effective time management skills including prioritisation, management of caseload, organisation of self and delegating duties to others as required.
- Effective team working skills: regarding people as individuals & appreciates value of diversity in the workplace co-operative and collaborative working willingness to help and assist wherever possible and appropriate.
- Able to work under pressure, dealing with peaks and troughs in workload.
- Competent IT skills
- Access to vehicle and ability to travel across the geographical area covered by the post
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Blackpool Victoria Hospital
Whinney Heys Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.