We are looking for a Consultant Rehabilitation Psychiatrist to join the rehabilitation inpatient and community teams in Bristol. This is an exciting new role and has been created as part of development of these services in line with local needs assessment and national work on providing enhanced local services for people with complex mental health difficulties.
The two rehabilitation services in Bristol are Alder unit, a ten bedded open rehabilitation ward at Callington Road Hospital, and the Bristol Community Rehabilitation Service, a partnership service led by Second Step and based in St Pauls, working with people across the city.
This is an opportunity to work with two established and well run services that offer care to people with some of the most complex long term mental health conditions. Both services are closely aligned to national guidance for rehabilitation services and offer a full multidisciplinary approach with a strong recovery focus.
We welcome interest from psychiatrists with a diverse range of experiences to join our existing two consultant psychiatrists. We are both active in training, involved in research, and passionate about continuing service development.Main duties of the job
The prime responsibility of the post is to work jointly with the two existing job share consultants to provide full cover across the working week to the rehabilitation services. This includes direct and indirect clinical care, supervision of junior staff, consultative work with colleagues and other teams, and psychiatric leadership alongside other senior roles in the services.
To deliver direct clinical interventions, including with those who require an assertive approach to rehabilitation and where there are barriers to engaging. This will include on-going assessment, diagnostic review and treatment of mental and related physical health needs.
Providing clinical expertise and leadership in the care of patients, including through ward round reviews, CPA, MHA and MCA frameworks, professionals meetings and working with families and carers wherever possible in treatment planning.
Support rehabilitation services to maintain a strong recovery focus, including at transition points along the rehabilitation pathway.
Provide leadership in the development of rehabilitation services in line with national best practice, guidance, and accredited standards.
The post is expected to participate in collaborative medical cover arrangements including appropriate medical cover for extended hours/on call.
We are looking for a skilled rehabilitation specialist with the passion and focus to deliver excellent care and the leadership skills to enable service development in a complex system of care.About usWe are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B& NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care. Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT with Rehabilitation Psychiatry endorsement
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a community and Inpatient setting.
- Knowledge and evidence of participation in CPD
- Evidence of effective multidisciplinary team involvement
- Specific rehabilitation service experience, including in assessing, treating and managing complex psychosis, and working effectively across systems of care to support recovery
- Experience of partnership working
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Specific skills in working with people with long term conditions, treatment-resistance, and multiple co-morbidities across a range of therapeutic modalities
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Thorough working knowledge of the MHA, MCA and related legislation, with specific experience of Responsible Clinician role in inpatient and community orders, both civil and forensic sections, DoLS, and Consent to Treatment arrangements.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and AuditEssential
- Experience as an Educational Supervisor for trainees.
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Previous leadership experience in service design, development, or service transition
- Higher skills in risk management, including formal training in assessment tools, forensic experience, or evidence of positive risk taking approaches with people with SEMI
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS TrustAddress
Callington Road Hospital and Brunswick Square
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.