This is an exciting opportunity to recruit a full - time (10 PA) consultant psychiatrist following the retirement of the current postholder.
The post will be based at the Forston clinic in Dorchester and will join a well- established inpatient team providing acute care to older adults with functional mental illness from across Dorset.
The team work closely with the community and home treatment team to provide inpatient care to informal and detained patients when required. The aim of admission is to provide treatment and return patients back to their community home in a timely manner. The team is multidisciplinary in nature and there is a full time specialty doctor working alongside the consultant.
If you are interested in moving to our beautiful county we can provide a generous relocation package of up to �10,000.Main duties of the job
This is a post for full-time older adult Psychiatrist working in Melstock House in Dorchester. The postholder will work full time within the Older Adult Acute Inpatient Unit which provides comprehensive inpatient-based services to patients registered with general practitioners within Dorset.
The unit provides patient centered consultant led care. The consultant will be supported by a full-time specialty doctor who is based on the ward in addition to the wider multidisciplinary team . Inpatient services for older adults with functional illness are also provided at St Ann's Hospital Poole in the East of the county. Inpatient beds for those with organic illness are located at Alderney Hospital in the east of the county and provide the service across the whole county. The unit liaises closely with the relevant community teams which are located across the county. Community staff continue to input into patient care whilst they are inpatients at Melstock house.About us
At Dorset HealthCare we're on a mission to empower people to make the most of their lives through our outstanding, joined-up healthcare services. We're a dynamic, forward-looking Trust, running 12 community hospitals, specialist inpatient facilities and a wide range of integrated community and mental health services for a population of almost 800,000 people.
We do things differently here - it's one of the reasons the CQC rated us 'outstanding' in 2019. It's also why 95% of patients across our services say they have a good or very good experience of our services and 89% of staff feel they can really make a difference. Whether you're looking to work with us in one of our bustling market towns, vibrant urban locations, thriving seaside spots, or among the rolling hills of Dorset, there are lots of ways you can make a difference in our communities.
Our 7,000-strong workforce is at the heart of what we do and our success is a testament to our brilliant people. We're all about building a workplace for the future, we believe in equal opportunities and we celebrate diversity. We're an inclusive workplace, where everyone is welcome, everyone can be authentic, and we are all encouraged to be the best version of ourselves.
Working with us you'll be part of a strong team, challenge yourself, build a career, and teach us what we don't know. And you'll be working towards our vision to be better every day through excellence, compassion and expertise in all we do.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For the main duties and responsibilities for this role please read the attached job description and person specification. When completing your application please ensure your supporting statement reflects the criteria set out in these documents by showing how your experience and skills apply to this post.Person SpecificationQualifications/TrainingEssential
- General medical Qualification e.g. MBBS, or equivalent and hold a Licence to Practise.
- MRCPsych or recognised equivalent, e.g. membership of a psychiatry college in another country.
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- Additional clinical qualification
- Must be in possession or within 6 months of possession of a CCT in Psychiatry or on Specialist Register in Psychiatry.
- On Specialist Register in Older Adult Psychiatry.
- Section 12(2) approval and Approved Clinician approval or ability to obtain approval before starting post
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Experience of medicine outside psychiatry e.g. general practice, medicine.
- Excellent knowledge in specialty
- Evidence of effective multidisciplinary team involvement.
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wider medical knowledge
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Make decisions based on evidence and experience including contribution of others.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Dorset HealthCare ValuesEssential
- Teaching Experience
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within the NHS or comparable service.
- Proactive, respectful, supportive, reliable and trustworthy, and positive
- Understand the importance of working with managers in the interest of good patient care.
- Able to manage priorities.
- Evidence of management/Leadership skills training .
- Previous management experience including that of other junior medical staff
- Understand principles of leadership and give examples of leadership in own practice.
- Able to provide clinical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team.
- An understanding of the importance of Clinical Governance in the NHS organisations and importance in patient care.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation
Supervision of Junior medical StaffEssential
- To have an understanding of own strengths and weaknesses and how these attributes affect professional functioning
- To have an understanding of the stresses involved in being a consultant psychiatrist and how to manage these
Research and AuditEssential
- Knowledge of requirements for supervision and appraisal of junior medical staff.
- Approved educational supervisor training
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication
- Ability to supervisor junior medical staff undertaking research projects.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Published audit project
- Ability to critically appraise published research.
Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.