As a member of this very successful Clinical Coding Team, you will hold the nationally recognised ACC (Accreditation of Clinical Coders) qualification in clinical coding. You will be responsible for ensuring that National Coding Standards rules and conventions are adhered to. The requirement is to manage the Clinical Coding Business Team cross-sites, provide an effective, accurate, timely, and consistent clinical coding service to the Trust. Ensure all coding quality targets are achieved, assisting in audits as appropriate and provide supervisory support to the Coding Manager, to take responsibility for the day-to day running of the Clinical Coding Department (site specific). Overlook all the income recovery tasks and validations ensuring the high standard of clinical coding is achieved and efficient use of resources is maintained at all times. Develop, implement and maintain the clinical engagement with the clinicians at Divisional level.Main duties of the jobClinical Coding
- To take responsibility for the day-to-day running of the Clinical Coding department (site specific).
- To undertake and assist with the Clinical Coding process for inpatient and day case episodes using ICD-10, OPCS4 within IPM system.
- To ensure that all episodes are coded to the highest quality and meet the required standards of accuracy, timeliness and comprehensiveness at all times.
- To ensure accurate HRG assignment through auditing of coded data, validating data from various specialities as appropriate during the coding process, in order that all data required for analysis and reporting is correct.
- To be responsible for the prioritisation and accuracy of the coding throughput within the department, providing regular reports on productivity to ensure coding completeness by reducing/alleviating coding backlogs and identifying outstanding activity for retrieval purposes.
- Maintain query log for Medicode and update codes on the Medicode Management software where necessary.
- To validate and utilise hospital clinical systems to aid and support the clinical coding process.
- You will be expected to promote continuous improvement in data quality by keeping abreast of development and innovations in the medical, surgical, and coding disciplines. This role forms a key member of the data quality team, which aims to provide credible, accurate, complete, and timely data for the Trust.
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Both hospital sites offer key services such as A& E, Obstetrics-led Maternity and Paediatrics.
You will be joining a friendly, high performing Trust committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of staff. As one of the largest NHS Trusts in our region you will have access to a programme of high quality training and development to help you grow your career.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All new staff will be subject to a probationary period covering their first six months in post. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
Please review all documents attached to this advert to ensure you familiarize yourself with all requirements of the job.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Promote the Department at all times.
The post holder is expected to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with other staff members characterised by trust values (THRIVE) Teamwork, honesty and openness, respect, inclusivity, valuing people and excellence
- To assist Clinical Coding Services Manager in reviewing/standardising departmental processes/policies in line with coding enhancement plans
- To support Clinical Coding Services Manager with the workload distribution for Clinical Coding Remote Coders at both Trust sites and any contractors
- To ensure there are comprehensive and effective procedures in place for the consistent provision of quality clinical information to all Clinical Coding Department working groups (CEC Coders, Remote Coders and Onsite Coders)
- Provide cover for line Manager as and when required. To deputise for the Coding Manager at relevant Health Board meetings and Committees as and when required.
- Raising requisitions, taking and typing minutes for meetings.
- The post requires flexibility and from time to time there may be the need to carry out other tasks as determined by the Clinical Coding Services Manager and other subordinates
- To deputise for the Clinical Coding Services Manager at relevant Information Governance meetings and with associated stakeholders as and when required.
- Represent the Department by actively participating in Groups and forums where relevant.
- Be responsible for the health and safety of staff by identifying and reporting hazards / incidents within the workplace.
- Nationally Accredited Clinical Coder Qualification (ACC)
- Nationally Accredited Clinical Coding Auditor
- Supervisory/Team Leader experience
- Evidence of personal development
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Extensive knowledge of ICD-10 and OPCS-4 classifications including the correct application of complex rules and convention
- Comprensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.