More ways to make progress
Whatever you're looking for in your career, it is all here for you at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
. With state-of-the-art facilities, you can advance your career in Histopathology, and take your knowledge further. As the largest Cellular Pathology department in the country, we are looking for a talented and experienced Biomedical Scientist or Clinical Scientist to take on the position of Advanced Practitioner in Histological Dissection, specialising in Gastrointestinal Dissection. This position will primarily be based at Wythenshawe Hospital, with opportunities to work cross site at the Oxford Road Campus. However, applications are invited from individuals with qualifications in other tissue dissection specialties looking to work at MFT.
Candidates who hold a relevant higher degree (MSc level) and hold the IBMS Diploma of Expert Practice in Histological Dissection, including the successful completion of the Gastrointestinal module. You will also possess the IBMS Advanced Specialist Diploma (ASD) although in recognition of the demand for higher scientific training we will accept candidates, who have relevant dissection experience and wish to complete the ASD, into an Advanced Practitioner Training role (Band 7). On completion of this qualification, you will move into the Advanced Practitioner role (Band 8a).Main duties of the job
- With support from the Consultant Histopathologist team, and following competency assessment, you will be independently dissecting category A - E specimens using RCPath data sets.
- You will, in conjunction with Consultant Pathologists, interpret national policies for their specialised section and take part in their implementation.
- Sharing the responsibility with Specialty Lead Pathologist of specialist team for training of BMS/Junior Medics in cut up techniques.
- You will be able to demonstrate extensive knowledge and experience of the specialist techniques associated with dissection including decalcification, fixation, macro photography and dissection, tissue processing and embedding techniques.
We support and encourage our Biomedical Scientists to undertake Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities, which could be internal talks and seminars, as well as attending approved courses. We also have a dedicated Training Lead, supporting the Directorate strategy for training, as well as Training Officers within each department. The department also has full HCPC training status for pre and post registration IBMS portfolios, and full ISO 15189 accreditation.
If this is an opportunity, you'd like to learn more about, please contact Katherine Congdon, Deputy Directorate Manager, Cellular Pathology on 0161 276 6138. We're looking forward to hearing from you!About us
MFT is England's largest NHS Trust with a turnover of �2.5bn & is on a different scale than most other NHS Trusts. We're creating an exceptional integrated health & social care system for the 1 million patients who rely on our services every year.
Bringing together 10 hospitals & community services from across Manchester, Trafford & beyond, we champion collaborative working & transformation, encouraging our 28,000 workforce to pursue their most ambitious goals. We set standards that other Trusts seek to emulate so you'll benefit from a scale of opportunity that is nothing short of extraordinary.
We've also created a digitally enabled organisation to improve clinical quality, patient & staff experience, operational effectiveness & driving research and innovation through the introduction of Hive our brand-new Electronic Patient Record system which we've launched in September 2022.
We're proud to be a major academic Research Centre & Education provider, providing you with a robust infrastructure to encourage and facilitate high-quality research programmes. What's more, we're excited to be embarking on our new Green Plan which will set out how MFT continues to play its part in making healthcare more sustainable.
At MFT, we create and foster a culture of inclusion and belonging, provide equal opportunities for career development that are fair, open and transparent, protecting your health and wellbeing and shaping the future of our organisation together.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Our laboratories have begun the implementation of SMART automation with the installation of the Sakura Tissue-Tek AutoTEC A120 automated embedding systems and Sakura Tissue-Tek Xpress X120, due for installation in 2023.
As part of the Greater Manchester Pathology Network, the department are also working towards implementing digital imaging to support the Greater Manchester Strategy for Digital Pathology, with equipment due for validation in 2023.
To find out more about the key responsibilities and the specific skills and experience youll need, take a look at the Job Description & Person Specification attachments under the Supporting Documents heading. So that youre even more equipped to make an informed decision to apply to us, youll need to take time to read the Candidate Essentials Guide that sits with the Job Description and Person Specification. This document provides you with details about the Trust, our benefits and outlines how we care for you as you care for others. Most importantly, it also contains critical information youll need to be aware of before you submit an application form.
Consideration will also be given to Clinical Scientists who have completed the Specialist Scientific Training Programme in Tissue Dissection and who can demonstrate appropriate / relevant experience in gastrointestinal tissue dissection.
COVID-19 vaccination remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients from the virus when working in our healthcare settings. Whilst COVID-19 vaccination is not currently a condition of employment, we do encourage our staff to get vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated, there is helpful advice and information available by searching on the NHS England website where you can also find out more about how to access the vaccination. Diversity Matters
MFT is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, celebrating and valuing diversity and eliminating any form of unlawful discrimination across our workforce, ensuring our people are truly representative of the communities we serve. All individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply for this post. As an inclusive employer, we are here to support you. If you have any special requirements to help you with your application, email our team at email@example.com.
Were looking forward to hearing from you!Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- HCPC registration, through possession of an acceptable degree
- Relevant MSc or equivalent qualification
- IBMS Diploma of Expert Practice in Histological Dissection including successful completion of the GI module or equivalent qualification via the STP prgramme
- Holds the IBMS ASD
- Evidence of ongoing CPD
- Leadership / management qualification
- A working knowledge of RCPath cancer data sets and dissection guidelines including block selection for diagnosis and research
- Extensive histopathology laboratory knowledge including decalcification, fixation, tissue processing, and embedding techniques.
- Awareness of all local and national legislation / policies relating to relevant aspects of Lab Med
- Knowledge of ISO 15189 standards including uncertainty of measurement, validation, verification etc
training and experienceEssential
- A working knowledge of the RCPath retention and storage of pathological records and specimens guidelines
- Extensive tissue dissection experience
- Extensive experience in an adult histopathology laboratory
- training and supervision of staff including junior medical staff
- experience in managing health and safety
- experience of participation and preparation for an ISO inspection
- Experience of leading a team
Skills & AbilitiesEssential
- Experience of dealing with user complaints
- Experience in incident investigation / root cause analysis
- Excellent presentation skills
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Evidence of working as part of a team
- Good time management and prioritisation skills
- Good IT skills including commonly used software packages in the laboratory and dissection areas
- Able to communicate highly complex and sensitive information to individuals or groups
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Remain calm under pressure
- Adopt a flexible approach to working
Manchester University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.