The Healthy Weight School Nurse will provide effective and comprehensive weight management to support severely obese children and their parents/carers who have been identified through the National Child Measurement Programme, ensuring that care is evidenced based and safe levels of intervention are delivered.Main duties of the job
The postholder will be responsible for managing a caseload of children and young people where weight is identified as a concern. The School Nurse will support parents/carers, young people and children around healthy lifestyles and deliver the Healthy Weight Offer for their allocated caseload.
The new post holder will also be expected work collaboratively with the wider school health team and partner agencies around supporting healthy weight in children and young people as well as meeting our statutory obligations around safeguarding.
This role presents a real opportunity to broaden your skill-set in policy and strategy, caseload management and multidisciplinary working while at the same time making a difference and having a positive impact on the health and wellbeing of Manchester's children and young peopleAbout us
MFT is England's largest NHS Trust with a turnover of �2.5bn & is on a different scale than most other NHS Trusts. We're creating an exceptional integrated health & social care system for the 1 million patients who rely on our services every year.
Bringing together 10 hospitals & community services from across Manchester, Trafford & beyond, we champion collaborative working & transformation, encouraging our 28,000 workforce to pursue their most ambitious goals. We set standards that other Trusts seek to emulate so you'll benefit from a scale of opportunity that is nothing short of extraordinary.
We've also created a digitally enabled organisation to improve clinical quality, patient & staff experience, operational effectiveness & driving research and innovation through the introduction of Hive our brand-new Electronic Patient Record system which we've launched in September 2022.
We're proud to be a major academic Research Centre & Education provider, providing you with a robust infrastructure to encourage and facilitate high-quality research programmes. What's more, we're excited to be embarking on our new Green Plan which will set out how MFT continues to play its part in making healthcare more sustainable.
At MFT, we create and foster a culture of inclusion and belonging, provide equal opportunities for career development that are fair, open and transparent, protecting your health and wellbeing and shaping the future of our organisation together.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To find out more about the key responsibilities and the specific skills and experience youll need, take a look at the Job Description & Person Specification attachments under the Supporting Documents heading. So that youre even more equipped to make an informed decision to apply to us, youll need to take time to read the Candidate Essentials Guide that sits with the Job Description and Person Specification. This document provides you with details about the Trust, our benefits and outlines how we care for you as you care for others. Most importantly, it also contains critical information youll need to be aware of before you submit an application form.
COVID-19 vaccination remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients from the virus when working in our healthcare settings. Whilst COVID-19 vaccination is not currently a condition of employment, we do encourage our staff to get vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated, there is helpful advice and information available by searching on the NHS England website where you can also find out more about how to access the vaccination. Diversity Matters
MFT is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, celebrating and valuing diversity and eliminating any form of unlawful discrimination across our workforce, ensuring our people are truly representative of the communities we serve. All individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply for this post. As an inclusive employer, we are here to support you. If you have any special requirements to help you with your application, email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Were looking forward to hearing from you!Person SpecificationEDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONSEssential
- First level Registered Nurse Adult/Child
- Specialist Community Public Health Nurse qualification [SN/HV]
- Evidence of post registration education and training in field related subject
- Demonstrates evidence of continued professional development
- Demonstrates experience in delivering health promotion and health education programmes
Skills / AbilityEssential
- Demonstrates experience working within safeguarding children
- Demonstrates experience of delivering weight management support to children and their parents/carers
Knowledge and UnderstandingEssential
- Evidence of utilising evidenced based practice and appraising standards, providing clinical direction and support for staff
- Demonstrates leadership skills and understanding of professional responsibilities within the team
- Able to establish and maintain key relationships with colleagues and other disciplines both internally and externally
- Effective communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrate the ability to facilitate and support implementation of service development within a team
- Detailed knowledge of health and social care policy relating to children's services to include safeguarding
- Detailed knowledge of national and local strategies relating to the Healthy Child Programme and the Local/National obesity strategies.
- Detailed knowledge of issues related to weight management and healthy lifestyles
- Knowledge and understanding of health promotion and/or public health
- Knowledge of managing difficult situations and conflict resolution
Employer detailsEmployer name
- IT skills - the ability to use Microsoft packages, e.g. word, email, and PowerPoint
- Ability to access information using internet
- Willing to travel city wide for work purposes
- Flexible and adaptable to changing needs in the service. Willing to provide service out of hours as and when required, e.g. parents evening.
- Respects the values, culture and beliefs held by others
- has a full driving licence and has access to a car
Manchester University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.