OUH are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Finance professional to take up a permanent position as the Head of Financial Performance.
This role is an integral part of the senior finance team at Oxford University Hospitals, driving operational financial performance, productivity and efficiency improvements, profitability driven decision making and financial analysis, working with stakeholders up to board level.
This role is expected to be working from the office one fixed day per week and one other day per week as the role requires. The other days can be worked remotely or in the office.
We would welcome discussions around flexible working.Main duties of the job
The postholder will be the Trust's primary finance lead on the delivery of operational financial performance.
This includes corporate oversight and leadership of financial management, in-year forecasting, productivity delivery and profitability driven decision making.
The postholder will require expert analytical, judgement, presentation skills, as well as the ability to make and influence key decisions at a senior level.
The postholder will manage the Financial Performance and Corporate Financial Management teams.About us
The Finance department at OUH is a team focused on improving financial information and helping senior stakeholders and clinical teams understand the narrative behind the numbers.
Hybrid working has given us the benefits of both face to face communication and problem solving and the benefits working from home, with excellent communication between the Financial Performance team and others in Finance to really deliver what the organisation needs.
We are working to embed a learning culture, encouraging staff at all levels to both undergo training and deliver training to others.
The Financial Performance team work closely with Finance, clinical and operational colleagues in the clinical divisions and also across the region.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
1. To act as the Trusts primary corporate finance lead on the delivery of operational financial performance, providing strategic oversight and leadership of financial management.2. To lead the development of a robust integrated management accounting and associated reporting infrastructure for the Trust.3. To play a key role in formulating plans to deliver long term financial sustainability for the Trust. Including implementation of service specific policy or service development changes.4. To provide corporate oversight and leadership to the divisional financial management teams, including budget setting, in-year forecasting and in-depth reviews of priority areas, with a focus on demand, capacity and triangulation with financial performance.5. To work closely with the rest of the Finance Senior Management Team to ensure timely, accurate and informed reporting both internally and externally.6. To oversee the use of monthly profitability reporting within clinical divisions, to support informed decision making and resource allocation.7. To be responsible for the management of the trust income and expenditure ledger, overseeing the transactional management accounting and feeder systems.8. To act as the Trusts primary corporate finance lead on divisional business planning.9. To act as the Trusts primary finance lead on the implementation and delivery of productivity and operational change programmes.10. To lead on financial performance management, with support and challenge to divisions as appropriate.11. To oversee the development of in-year financial analysis, including trends, delivery to plan, and recovery/improvement to financial performance.
12. To work with the Head of Financial Planning and Reporting on the implementation of improvements to financial reporting systems, including oversight on development of performance dashboards, key performance indicators and any other key management information.13. To work with the Head of Financial Planning and Reporting to ensure all relevant and correct financial information is reported by divisions, including accruals, prepayments, workforce and clinical income.14. To work, as a member of the Finance Senior Management Team, on change programmes to improve efficiency, value for money and quality of output.15. To oversee working with clinical teams in developing service models associated with major operational change programmes.16. To lead the development of smaller business cases, including working with the Deputy Director of Finance - Technical and Developments on the analysis, critical review, challenge and identification of improvement opportunities.17. Communicate highly sensitive, highly complex and contentious information to a range of internal and external stakeholders.18. Use persuasion and motivation skills to influence key decision making and maintain professional communication at all times when dealing with sensitive and contentions issues.19. To constructively challenge senior stakeholders throughout the financial planning and reporting processes to ensure robustness of forecasts and budgets.20. To ensure the education and development of the Finance team in their understanding and development of operational investment decisions, including cost, capacity, scenarios and planning.21. To work cooperatively and collaboratively with Finance staff in divisions and in the central Finance Department.22. To line manage the Financial Performance team and Corporate Financial Management teams.Person SpecificationEssentialEssential
- Analytical and Judgement Skills
- Planning and Organisational Skills
- Knowledge of financial management in a healthcare/commercial environment.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Expert specialist knowledge of accounting procedures, in particular those specifically relating to the NHS
- Experience of working in senior finance roles in a range of NHS bodies, covering NHS and private clinical services
Oxford University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Finance dept, OUH@Cowley
Unipart House, Garsington Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.