Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust have an exciting opportunity to appoint a Band 6 Speech and Language Therapist to work within the Adult SLT team and the Integrated Community Stroke and Neurorehab Service team.
The post will have a clinical focus on patient care across the stroke pathway both within the acute stroke unit at Blackpool Victoria Hospital and the community setting. Both the Adult SLT Team and ICSNRS team are a friendly and supportive group of Therapists, Assistants and admin staff serving the Fylde Coast population. Both teams are dedicated to continued service improvement and over recent years have developed our telehealth capabilities within the community and our inpatient FEES service alongside our long-established videofluoroscopy service. You will have excellent training and development opportunities, alongside a robust supervision and appraisal system. You will have the opportunity to work alongside highly specialised staff both within the acute and community settings.
We will be holding a MS Teams Q& A session so you can learn more about the service and the post. Please email email@example.com for times and link.Main duties of the job
The clinical commitments of this post include undertaking comprehensive assessments of swallowing and communication needs after a stroke. It also involves explaining and discussing treatment options and developing an agreed individualised, outcome-focused treatment plan, maintaining accurate records for all patients, and managing any identified risks appropriately.
You will be supporting the smooth transfer of patients from the acute hospital setting into the community to ensure effective response times and communication with patients, carers, MDT and referrers, avoiding any unnecessary hospital stays.
Along with developing achievable goals for rehabilitation, you will be responsible for working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to ensure all our patients receiving therapy within the community setting have the same access as inpatients.
You will also support junior SLTs, Therapy Assistants and students attend and contribute to departmental meetings e.g., daily huddles, multidisciplinary team meetings (MDT), case conferences etc., along with contributing and supporting service developments within the team.
Please see attached Job Description for further information.About us
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is situated on the Fylde Coast. The Trust provides services to the 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre and North Lancashire, as well as specialist tertiary care for Cardiac and Haematology patients.
As one of the United Kingdom's largest coastal resort, Blackpool has plenty to offer its residents - it's not just a good place to work it's a great place to live. In addition to its bustling centre and historic seafront, the town is world famous for its many attractions, including the famous Blackpool Tower. Blackpool also offers a number of scenic cycling routes round our local parks and across the surrounding countryside, as well as boasting panoramic views of the coast on its picturesque Promenade. Further afield, Blackpool also benefits from less than three-hour connections via rail to Edinburgh in the north and London in the south.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached job description and job & person specification for further details regarding this role. Please ensure you address the job & person specifications within your application.Person SpecificationEDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONSEssential
- Honours Degree or equivalent in Speech and Language Therapy
- Registered member of HCPC & RCSLT
- A demonstrable commitment to CPD activity with evidence of same.
- Evidence of successful completion of relevant specialist post graduate courses in dysphagia.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGEEssential
- Evidence of successful post graduate training in videofluoroscopy/FEES.
- Involvement in a Clinical Excellence Network
- Knowledge of current best practice and experience in the diagnosis, treatment and management of a wide range of swallowing and communication difficulties in the adult population post stroke.
- Experience formulating patient-centred therapy goals and treatment plans in conjunction with patients, carers/family and the MDT.
- Experience in providing education and support to patients / carers & other professionals regarding communication and swallowing difficulties.
- Sound knowledge surrounding clinical governance and general NHS issues (e.g. safeguarding, consent, MCA 2005 etc) and national guidelines/policies relevant to an adult caseload.
SKILLS AND ABILITYEssential
- Experience of delivering training to others.
- Experience of working with speech and language therapy assistants.
- Experience in the clinical education of speech and language therapy students.
- Involvement in audits and an understanding of research and quality issues
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Have a strong degree of personal integrity able to adhere to standards of conduct be dependable and reliable
- Positive attitude to dealing with change flexible and adaptable, willing to accept change and adapt as required.
- Ability to use initiative.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to include observation, active listening and empathy.
- Excellent presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Effective time management skills including prioritisation, management of caseload, organisation of self and delegating duties to others as required.
- Effective team working skills: regarding people as individuals & appreciates value of diversity in the workplace co-operative and collaborative working willingness to help and assist wherever possible and appropriate.
- Able to work under pressure, dealing with peaks and troughs in workload.
- Competent IT skills
- Access to vehicle and ability to travel across the geographical area covered by the post
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Blackpool Victoria Hospital
Whinney Heys Rd
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.