In conjunction with other members of the Operational and Emergency Nursing teams, ensure the provision of effective Emergency Department leadership and management, including direct responsibility for the nursing and health care support worker Majors Emergency Department workforce band 2-6.
The post involves leadership and management of all Adult Emergency Department issues, supporting patient flow throughout the clinical areas. This is with the objective of ensuring that patient's presenting to the Emergency Department are nursed to an excellent standard and within agreed pathways and protocols of care.
The post will also act as a support for both the Emergency Department Matron and Emergency Department Operational Business Manager to ensure the safe and effective use of resources to provide quality patient care. Working autonomously, but with support and liaison of the Senior Management Team for Emergency Care.
The role will cover twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week typically working 11.5 hour shifts.Main duties of the job
The post holder will have both management and clinical leadership responsibilities. The post holder will have responsibility, alongside the band 7 team, for the day to day staff management of the Emergency Department team within recognised human resource Trust policy and procedure. The post holder will, alongside the band 7 team, have clinical responsibility for the delivery of a safe and effective emergency care service for patients presenting to the Emergency Department.About us
The post holder will uphold and maintain the trust values at all times. Our Values
We have a plan that will deliver excellent health and care for future generations, working with partners to ensure our services are sustainable. We make decisions that are best for long term health and social care outcomes for our communities
We communicate clearly to our patients, families and our staff with transparency and honesty We encourage feedback from everyone to help drive innovation and Improvements
We demonstrate fairness, respect and empathy in our interactions with people We take responsibility for our actions, speaking out and learning from our mistakes
We take a person-centred approach in all our interactions with patients, families and our staff We provide compassionate care and demonstrate understanding to everyone
We put quality and safety at the heart of all our services and processes We continuously improve our standards of healthcare with the patient in mind Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will be a Registered nurseand carry continuing responsibility for leading the nursing team in our Emergency Department and for the delivery of high standards of nursing and clinical care to patients. They will be responsible for managing human resources, equipment and stock within budget limits. They will advise and support staff, demonstrate a high level of competence in Emergency Nursing, and be expected to broaden their remit, in line with current evidence base, knowledge and training. They will make decisions based upon knowledge and experience in respect of patient care, and be accountable for those decisions. They will ensure all staff managed, receive adequate supervision and training to enable them to become competent within the Emergency Department. They will work closely with other disciplines to ensure patient flow.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Nursing Degree
- Management and Leadership Qualification
- Advanced Life Support Qualification - in date
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support Qualification - in date
- MSc in relevant subject.
- Trauma Course
- Recent Emergency Department management experience
- Experience coordinating a busy Emergency Department
- Experience acting as resuscitation room lead
- Experience in a leadership position
- Experience of working within recognized targets for Emergency care and nursing
- Experience of understanding the principles of Harm Free Care within ED
- Experience of managing staff in line with human resource process and policy
- Experience of leading and managing change
- Experience and knowledge of the business planning process.
- Experience of managing performance and capacity and demand in services.
- Ability to lead and manage change
- Experience in delivering improvements to facilitative change that has direct patient benefits
- Ability to prioritise a workload, both clinical and managerially in line with service demand
- Clinical competence as an Emergency Nurse in line with the Emergency Care Competencies Management Pathway
- Budget management
- Roster management
- Project management skills
- Group facilitation and training skills
- In depth knowledge of national policies and procedures relevant to service delivery for Emergency Care.
- Extensive knowledge of National and Local Guidance in relation to Emergency care.
- Understanding of the principles of quality, governance and audit
- Understanding of the roles of all professions within the team.
Enthusiasm for Emergency NursingEssential
- Knowledge of recent NHS & Trust developments and their impact on the service
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to demonstrate and articulate enthusiasm and dedication for Emergency Nursing and Emergency Care.
Bolton NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.