An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and motivated Midwife to manage, lead and support the Gwenllian Ward team in the acute maternity service, Bronglais General Hospital, Aberystwyth.
This is a leadership role working with the multi disciplinary team to support the reduction in the caesarean section rate and demonstrate clear clinical leadership. It will involve working a combination of nights and days to support the needs of the service.
The successful candidate will be required to maintain senior Band 7 midwifery skills by contributing to the roster as a clinical coordinator.Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will:
- Exercise 24-hour accountability for the management of the ward, to include leading and developing the core nursing establishment in the delivery of compassionate, high quality, effective, patient-centred nursing care and providing fair, honest and measured people management.
- Provide visible, professional midwifery leadership, support, supervision and guidance (in line with NMC standards), expert clinical advice and undertake management and monitoring activities in line with legal and professional requirements, statutory rules and Health Board policies relating to evidence based practice
- Be responsible for the efficient management of the ward budget, effectively deploying the nursing team and utilising the allocated resources and raising any financial expenditure concerns to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Work and communicate effectively as a member of the senior clinical and nursing leadership team for the directorate/service, collaborating with other Senior Sister/Charge Midwives and Clinical & Operational Lead Midwife, including deputising for the Clinical & Operational Lead Midwife where required at patient flow, Health Board and site based meetings.
Interviews to be held on 10/10/2023.About us
Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:
Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest
Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire
48 general practices (four of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres
Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services
Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will be able to find a full job description and person specification attached within the supporting documents.
The Health Board is committed to supporting its staff to fully embrace the need for bilingualism thereby enhancing patient and service user experiences. In our commitment to increase the number of staff who are able to communicate in Welsh with patients and professionals, we welcome applications from Welsh speakers.
The ability to communicate in Welsh isdesirablefor this post. If you do not meet the Welsh Language requirements specified, the Health Board offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal desirable requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Get instant access to our financial wellbeing benefit Wagestream. Wagestream is a tool for everyday life that lets you get paid your way by letting you track your wages in real-time, stream up to 50% of the money youve already earned, learn easy tips to manage your money better and save your wages straight from your salary.
https://fb.watch/hzQjE8HzTN/Person SpecificationQualifications and KnowledgeEssential
- Current NMC registration
- Registered Midwife
- BSc in Midwifery or currently completing
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development to Postgraduate Diploma Level
- Bronze IQT
- Recognised management qualification
- Recognised leadership qualification
- Experience of leading a team
- Masters degree in a pertinent subject
- Proven and relevant experience at Band 6
- Appropriate experence within speciality and able to demonstrate sound knowledge of relevant speciality
- Able to demonstrate sound knowledge of NMC Code (2018)
- Proven post-registration experience and evidence of coordinating and managing a team of staff
- Able to demonstrate an awareness of professional issues and developments
- Experience of working in a multi professional environment
- Experience in budget management
- Experience of effective staff management
- Experience of mentoring pre-registration nursing/midwifery students
- Experience of running a ward/area/department
- Experience of leadership skills
- IT Skills
- Able to relate theory into practice through reflective skills
- Good knowledge of information governance/data protection requirements
Language SkillsDesirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of working in a Band 7 role
- Understanding of financial and resource management processes
Hywel Dda University Health BoardAddress
Bronglais General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.