This is an exciting new role working as a discharge coordinator within Oldham working with inpatients across all borough acute wards alongside borough residents admitted to out of area/out of borough inpatient settings.
This will involve identifying at the earliest opportunity possible barriers to discharge and work with Service Users, family/carers, ward and community MDTs to address these and support the community and inpatient service with the overall flow of patients requiring discharge from hospital.Main duties of the job
The post holder will assist with the securing of individual placements.
The post holder will be required to attend meetings to support capacity and flow.
The post holder will work closely with clinical multi-disciplinary team to ensure good communication between staff, patient and their relatives in regards to admission and discharge.
The post holder will review and support borough residents admitted to out of borough or out of area placements supporting repatriation to home borough if appropriate.
The post holder will actively participate in ward rounds/reviews of those patients in out of area/borough placements and be able to provide assurance re care and treatment.
The post holder will work closely with Housing Authorities to address housing related issuesAbout us
We are proud to provide high quality mental health and learning disability services, both inpatient and in the community across five boroughs of Greater Manchester - Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport and Tameside and Glossop.
Our vision is for a happier and more hopeful life for everyone in our communities and our staff work hard to deliver the very best care for the people who use our services. We're really proud of our#PennineCarePeople
and do everything we can to make sure we're a great place to work.
All individuals regardless of race, age, disability, ethnicity, nationality, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marriage and civil partnership are encouraged to apply for this post. We would also encourage applications from individuals with a lived experience of mental illness, either individually or as a carer.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached job description and personal specification.
Please refer to the essential criteria in the person specification which will highlight the skills, knowledge and experience you will need to demonstrate in your application, by way of example, to give yourself the best opportunity to be shortlisted.Person SpecificationEducation / QualificationsEssential
- Professional Qualification - RMN/Social Worker (or equivalent) with significant post graduate experience to post graduate diploma level
- Evidence of ongoing CPD
- Demonstrable experience in working with staff who work with individuals who present to mental health services in crisis and have symptoms of mental illness within acute mental health settings.
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience of working across professional / organisational boundaries.
- Experience of discharge planning from acute mental health wards.
- Involvement in operational policy development.
- Involvement in performance reviews for all staff.
- Organisational, managerial and motivational ability.
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Knowledge of acute hospital service provision across the Pennine Care footprint.
- Knowledge of admissions, transfers and discharge procedures and implementations.
- Knowledge of risk assessment / management processes.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of current mental health legislation including s117 aftercare.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Care Act 2014 legislation including safeguarding.
- Knowledge of child protection legislation.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Mental Capacity Act.
- Understanding of confidentiality issues and data protection issues.
- Comprehensive understanding of the Discharge Standards, ICB Liaison, Specialist Services Liaison.
- Understanding of the principles of capacity management and bed management procedures.
- Auditing / data collection.
- Research skills and ability to evidence current / proposal practice.
- Understanding of funding process for placements.
- Working knowledge of Clinically Ready for Discharge and Delayed Discharge Criteria and Barriers to Discharge.
- Understanding of national guidance.
Work Related CircumstancesEssential
- Ability to navigate through complex funding arrangements including LA/ICB commissioning arrangements and Continuing Healthcare.
- Ability to delegate appropriately.
- Ability to induct any staff member to the area with confidence.
- Ability to establish and maintain close working links with Adult and Children's Social Care, CMHT/EIT and other secondary care providers.
- Ability to liaise with other boroughs regarding patient transfer and be proactive in the transfer of these clients.
- Ability to facilitate effective communication between all grades of staff on all aspects of bed management.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Use of a car or access to a means of mobility to travel across the trust footprint in line with service needs.
- Willing to carry out all duties and responsibilities of the post in accordance with the Trust's Equal Opportunities and Equality and Diversity policies.
- Appointments to regulated and controlled activities require an enhanced DBS disclosure.
Pennine Care NHS FTAddress
Royal Oldham Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.