The Oak Centre for Children and Young People has an exciting opportunityto develop a nurse-led sedation service for children and young people with cancer. We are seeking an enthusiastic, experienced and highly motivated children's nurse for this CNS post to work alongside the ANP team to provide safe effective sedation care to children and young people. You will work collaboratively with the day care nursing and anesthetic teams to co-ordinate general anaesthetia and sedation lists. The successful candidate, and ANP team, will receive training from consultant anesthetists to develop competency in sedation over a twelve-month period. Once the nurse-led sedation service is established, there is an opportunity for the post holder to undertake training as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner in this specialised area. Main duties of the job
- To be a Clinical Nurse Specialist within the Paediatric sedation service working within the multidisciplinary team to provide safe effective sedation care (including GA) to children and young people with cancer.
- To provide expert clinical care throughout the patients' sedation pathway from the sedation administration through to safe patient discharge
- To be involved in education, research, and audit for the sedation service to continually improve patient experience and services provided.
- To undertake Advanced Clinical Practitioner training to develop skills in physical assessment, clinical decision making and non-medical prescribing to support and maintain nurse led sedation service.
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.JoJob descriptionJob responsibilitiesFor further information, please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification
- To work within the NMC Code of Conduct
- To work within the Trusts Policies and Procedures and the parameters set down in agreed local clinical protocols and guidelines as well as national guidelines such as NICE
- Ensure that documentation is maintained to the Trust Standard (including electronic records)
- Be competent, knowledgeable practitioner in the care delivery of patients (children and young people) requiring sedation and general anaesthesia (GA) for scans and procedures within the Trust
- To organise the clinical management of patients utilising clinical knowledge and skills to assess, plan, implement and initiate changes where required, working collaboratively with the anaesthetic team for decision making where concerns are highlighted. This includes monitoring and evaluating the response to sedation through analysis and interpretation of clinical tests and investigations.
- To hold mandatory clinical skills working as a Clinical Nurse Specialist in Paediatric Sedation including capnography skills, peripheral venous ultrasound guided cannulation, advanced paediatric airway management and recovery
- To triage and co-ordinate referrals for CYP requiring GA or sedation for procedures and imaging, identifying appropriateness of each modality for most appropriate care
- To work in collaboration with the childs key worker (Clinical Nurse Specialist) to identify patients who are eligible and able to have scans and procedures under sedation
- Registered Children's Nurse
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Willingness to complete European Paediatric Advanced Life Support Qualification
- Currently on, or willingness to undertake ANP pathway
- Competency in recovery nursing
- Modules including: Paediatric Advanced Assessment and Paediatrics Applied Clinical Physiology
- Experience in intravenous drug administration
- Evidence of teaching experience
- Experience in paediatric oncology
- Experience in Clinical Management
- Evidence of effective interpersonal skills with particular ability to liaise with multidisciplinary team members
- Evidence of commitment to patient care initiatives
- Computer Literacy (eg: Microsoft Word and Outlook)
- Cannulation / venepuncture / Capnography skills / advanced paediatric airway management (Or willingness to learn)
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Venepuncture and/or cannulation skills
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden Hospital Sutton
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.