We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Pathology Operations' based at Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust.
As Head of Pathology Operations, the post holder will take the pathology service management lead across all pathology disciplines and is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Trust Wide Pathology services.
The post holder will be responsible for the maintenance and development of a high-quality service and will be encouraged to display personal initiative in all areas. They will lead a team of Senior staff to deliver a fit-for-purpose service to achieve the objectives of efficient patient care and resource management across the trust.Main duties of the job
- The post holder is required to work in a way that facilitates and supports the strategic development of the service delivery units, empowers clinicians and frontline staff in decision-making in a way that supports service improvements and provides a patient centred focus.
- They will be responsible for developing business and project plans ensuring implementation and that performance targets and strategic objectives are met.
- They will be assisting in generating new business.
- They will work closely with senior pathology managers, all consultants, Head of Diagnostics and the Specialist Services Divisional Director.
- The post holder must deliver a high-quality, cost-effective service and through collaborative and constructive working facilitate improvements through change as determined by best practice/service developments.
Listen to why colleagues think we are a great place to work! - https://bit.ly/3DNEQfD
What does Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust offer you?
As part of our BHT family, youll benefit from learning and development opportunities to support your career progression.
We offer flexible and agile working opportunities, alongside your NHS benefits of generous annual leave entitlement, pension and access to NHS discount schemes.
We provide a range of health and wellbeing services to promote a healthy, happy workforce.
Why work for us?
Were committed to promoting inclusion and making sure all colleagues feel they belong. We encourage new colleagues from a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
As an employer, we aim to create a workplace where differences are valued and colleagues treat one another with dignity and respect.
Greater diversity within our BHT family improves positive outcomes for the people and communities we serve.
A keen supporter of the Armed Forces Community who know the value of employing a service leaver/veteran and their families.
What do we stand for?
Our vision is to provide outstanding care, support healthy communities and be a great place to work.
Our mission is to provide personal and compassionate care every time.
Our CARE values are collaborate, aspire, respect and enable.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For a comprehensive list of responsibilities and duties, please kindly refer to the Job Description and Person Specification by downloading the JD and PS attachment in the advert.
If you are an internal applicant there is the option for secondment, all applicants must have the endorsement/support of their line manager prior to application.
If you have a disability that makes submitting this online application difficult and would like assistance, please contact us on email@example.com quoting the vacancy reference number.Person SpecificationSkills, Abilities and KnowledgeEssential
- Safety regulations relating to safe working in pathology laboratories and categorisation of biological agents according to hazard.
- Good written and verbal communication skills to ensure clear communication of results.
- Analytical skills to follow through complex diagnostic problems.
- Follow professional development pathway to maintain relevant skills.
- Interpersonal skills to deal with lab. staff and stakeholders.
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Team Building and Coaching Skills
- Ability to train all grades of BMS and MLA staff.
- Knowledge of pathology IT systems for the extraction of statistics and workload data.
- Management of audit processes.
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of the medical blood sciences laboratory and managing a sample reception.
- Knowledge of Pathology Networks and the Govt. drivers towards Pathology reconfiguration.
- Extensive experience of laboratory bench work at senior level.
- Experience of on-call and producing on-call rotas
- Experience of record keeping and report writing.
- Proven experience of managing teams and people management.
- Proven experience in performing staff appraisals
- Experience of policy writing and preparation of standard operating procedures
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong proven leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage change.
- Well organised.
- Ability to plan strategically.
- Excellent knowledge of managing finance and budgets
- Knowledge of CIP programmes and ongoing management of these
- Excellent working knowledge of Winpath Clinical System
Education, Qualifications & TrainingEssential
- Experience in all aspects of the relevant Pathology Discipline
- At least 12 years post registration experience working in a diagnostic pathology laboratory
- In depth experience of complex laboratory methodology to provide expert advice to the department (
- FIBMS or MSc or equivalent.
- Registered with the Health & Care Professions Council.
- Extensive post registration experience at a senior level with substantial relevant experience at Band 8a management level
- Management/Leadership Training or qualification
- Evidence of CPD and post graduate training in specialised areas
- A Biomedical Science Degree or equivalent.
- MSc in Biomedical Science or equivalent in appropriate specialty.
- Registration on Continual professional development scheme.
- Quality management training.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Full driving license and a car owner to be able to travel across sites.
Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
Stoke Mandeville Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.