The role of CEO at Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) is a unique opportunity for an outstanding leader whose personal values, strategic vision and excellent track record of delivery can positively impact the health and wellbeing of the people of North Wales.
As Wales' largest Health Board with 19,000 staff, BCUHB serves a population of 700,000 across a stunning landscape that includes the breath-taking mountains of Snowdonia and a coastline that is home to some of the best beaches in the world. At the heart of our region are our communities, both urban and rural, and a vibrant culture and bilingual context.
While the Health Board has a complex history, including leadership instability and being placed in special measures, and requires an exceptional person to lead it through a difficult and challenging time, there is a rare opportunity to define the future of BCUHB. It needs a CEO who can build and then inspire, motivate and guide the executive team, and provide visible and empowering leadership to clinical and managerial colleagues to be the best they can so that, together, they can thrive in a culture and ethos that is delivering the best outcomes for patients.Main duties of the job
Working in harmony with a recently appointed Chair and Independent Members, and in collaboration with a range of partners, you will build a positive culture based on values and respect. You will establish a vision, develop strategies, structures and frameworks, and build positive relationships inside and outside BCUHB that will improve the health and lives of people living and working in North Wales.
You will oversee delivery against quality, performance, governance and finance measures which have tangible impacts on the communities served through their own experience - such as improvements to waiting times, outcomes and quality of care.
As a fully integrated healthcare organisation, BCUHB has a critically important job - to support the people of North Wales to improve their health and well-being, and to care for them when they are sick, or need medical support and help. Our staff are a part of their local communities. They work across 97 GP practices, 17 community hospitals, and three district general hospitals and give their energies every day to support their neighbours, families and the people who live and work alongside them.
We are looking for someone who can lead them and the organisation into a brighter future. A future where everyone associated with BCUHB is proud of its delivery and contribution to the communities of North Wales. In return, you will be welcomed and supported by everyone around you.About us
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) is the largest health organisation in Wales, with a budget of �1.7 billion and a workforce of over 19,000 staff. The Health Board providesprimary, community, mental health and acute hospital services for the population of North Wales.
BCUHB provides a full range of primary, community, mental health, acute and specialist hospital services across 3 acute hospitals, 22 communityhospitals and a network of over 90 healthcentres, clinics, community health team bases and mental health units. BCUHB alsocoordinates or provides the work of 113 GP practices andthe NHS services provided by dentists, opticians and pharmacists across the region.
Health Board is an integrated health system which strives to excellent compassionate care delivered in partnership with the public and other statutory and third sector organisations. BCUHB has a developed relationship with the universities in North Wales and with the University of Bangor is seeking medical school status and operates in a research-rich learning culture.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Candidates are encouraged to refer to the attached Candidate Brief and Person Specification for further information.
If you have significant experience as a leader in a complex, multi-faceted, health or related organisation, and a track record of positive impact and the creation of empowering, accountable cultures, then please get in touch.Person SpecificationExperience and knowledgeEssential
Abilities and personal qualitiesEssential
- oA successful track record of leadership and strategic management at Board level, in a complex NHS, public or commercial organisation, in Healthcare, or the provision of relevant public services, and / or across a whole system, at significant scale, preferably at CEO level
- oExperience of leading well a large scale and complex organisation with a focus on safety, productivity, efficiency and engagement
- oExperience of working within a regulated environment and achieving improvement across required performance measures
- oA track record of defining and delivering ambitious strategies for organisational change, growth or improvement, and service development, ideally with partner organisations
- oExperience of working with Board colleagues to reframe or turn around under-performing services or teams
- oKnowledge and experience of behavioural change and of embedding positive culture change in a complex environment, ideally including building positive clinical engagement
- oTrack record of achieving sustained organisational / service change and improvement, with evidence of embedding culture and organisational values successfully, achieving workforce engagement, and delivering improved outcomes in quality, performance and service
- oExperience of successful initiation and facilitation of strategic partnership working and alliances with local authorities, voluntary, statutory and private bodies, contractors and other stakeholders
- oExperience of developing and embedding significant whole system leadership improvement through understanding of the impact of compassionate leadership on the health effectiveness of an organisation
- oExperience of effectively managing considerable resources and budgets, with a track record of delivering long term financial sustainability and outstanding value for money
- oExperience of dealing with a range of complex issues within a political or demanding stakeholder environment, with a high degree of political sensitivity
- oExperienceofenhancing thereputationofan organisationthroughleadingand encouraging collaborative working across service and organisational boundaries
- oKnowledge of issues within the health and social care sector in Wales, or the ability to develop and deepen that knowledge.
- oA compassionate, collaborative leadership style which empowers others and builds engagement
- oThe ability to hold others to account appropriately
- oThe ability to assess effectiveness and formulate strategies to achieve improvement in team relationship / dynamics and impact
- oThe ability to inspire confidence in and contribution of others in pursuance of a common purpose at all levels
- oThe ability to build and sustain effective relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders, including with clinicians
- oThe ability to quickly understand an organisational context and, in this case, Wales and the Health Board
- oThe ability to communicate in Welsh and / or empathy with and commitment to learn and communicate in Welsh as part of core objectives
- oThe ability to communicate effectively in different settings using different tools / media
- oDemonstrable drive and resilience
- oInnovative and entrepreneurialwith strong servicefocused approach, exceptional communication, interpersonal, negotiating and influencing skills
- oAbility to think and act strategically and to articulate a clear sense of direction and vision to a wide audience
- oDemonstrable leadership and ambassadorial skills with an ability to demonstrate a flexible leadership style - consensual and participative but decisive when warranted
- oCommitment to and passion for citizen focused service with the ability to embed such an ethos at all levels of the organisation.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oMaster's degree or equivalent qualification or level of experience
- oFurther evidence of management training, development and experiential learning o Commitment to ongoing personal and professional development.
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health BoardAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.