The Sustainability Programme Support Officer is the data and operational support role in the Sustainability and Green Plan Team. The post-holder will report directly to the Head of Sustainability. This role will take lead responsibility for the data and operational support needed to implement our Green Plan and will also support on bringing improvement methods into the heart of the Trust's ambition to becoming a sustainable net-zero organisation. The role will help us to deliver our ambitions around being an anchor institution, and embraces our commitment to continuous improvement, user insight and learning, collaboration and partnerships, and inclusion for all our staff, patients and population in bringing about better health, for all.
The Sustainability Programme Support Officer will assist the Head of Sustainability with a focus mainly on the tactical rollout of the Green Plan, with particular responsibilities around data collation, management and analysis. This role will provide administrative support around governance and reporting activities, supporting the smooth operation of the capability and capacity building activities relating the green network including other administrative tasks such as organising meetings and other sustainability related events.Main duties of the jobThe role is responsible for the following key activities:
Work with the Head of Sustainability, working group leads and clinical leads in the Sustainability governance structure to support the overall implementation of our Green Plan action, supporting on a number of elements of the Plan that require strong project, data management and / or improvement support.
- Coordinate cross-departmental collaboration to collate regular updates on progress towards sustainability goals across the organisation, including keeping an audit trail for changes to policies and procedures that have been updated in ways that begin to include sustainability considerations
- Persuading others across the Trust to collect and share sensitive data relating to carbon emissions and assist in the data analysis and measures towards sustainability goals. Working with the Head of Sustainability and other leads to ensure that the Trust is learning from best practices and new innovation and insights in sustainability metrics from leading organisations around the world, with the aim of improving our data infrastructure.
- Support on the production and reporting of relevant sustainability metrics and project updates on a regular basis
- Provide on-going support to a staff Green Champions to empower staff to become a semi-autonomous self-supporting network
Assist the Head of Sustainability to build and report progress on sustainability, improvement capacity and capability at the Trust
Work with the Quality Improvement and Service Transformation teams to promote and support the embedding of robust improvement methodology to local sustainability initiatives and to produce exemplar case studiesJob descriptionJob responsibilities Embed sustainability throughout Trust governance structures
Support the setup and manage a flexible and adaptive data measurement and metrics system.
- Assist the Head of Sustainability to ensure the smooth operation of a new governance structure with regards to sustainability goals and objectives at the Trust
- Lead on the secretariat duties for the key sustainability governance group, to include feeding insights gained from other responsibilities into agenda setting, organising the meetings, producing agendas and papers, minute taking, and action log management and follow-up
- Prepare on our data collection and infrastructure for understanding our carbon reduction baseline and progress.
Supporting the capability and capacity building activities relating to the Green Plan
- Collating complex information and data from across the Trust, and in some instances negotiating and persuading others to establish and collect new data, which builds a more comprehensive picture of our carbon emissions, being mindful that what the data shows may be sensitive and contentious in making the data more transparent.
- Assist in the setup and then on-going management of a Trust wide system of data metrics and measures towards sustainability goals
- Presenting the data in a sensitive manner and to a large number of differing audiences (i.e., local team, Divisions, network etc) to support local decision making and for wider influencing of behaviour change that can bring about Trust wide reductions in carbon emissions
- Working with the Sustainability Team and others, and through self-autonomy, develop a wide network (internal and external) to ensure that the Trust is learning from best practices and innovation and insights in sustainability metrics from leading organisations around the world, ensuring that our data infrastructure is always improving and considers up-to-date methods and approaches.
- Collate, clean and undertake accurate data analysis that relate to organisational sustainability goals (e.g. organisational emissions) and local sustainability improvement projects (e.g. anaesthetic gases, inhalers etc.)
- Create, administer, analyse and report on a range of surveys related to sustainability goals at the Trust.
Represent the Green Team in collaborations across the Trust
- Assist the Group Leads to setup an autonomous community network of staff Green Champions and the support structures to enable co-design of the network with staff.
- To support the Head of Sustainability in developing and taking the lead in promoting and delivering a new education and training curricula on sustainability that will be made available to all staff, and ensuring it aligns with the existing improvement education offer.
- To champion improvement methodology in ways that motivate staff to embed a culture of continuous improvement and learning more generally, but with a focus on sustainability improvement, and to support local improvement with robust improvement methodology (especially measurement) and to encourage collaboration and facilitate connections.
- To provide data support to a small number of key NHS priority improvement areas for the Trust, for example reducing environmentally harmful anaesthetic gases, a specified Big Room clinical pathway etc.
Communicate progress towards new sustainability goals to all stakeholders
- Assist the Head of Sustainability to coordinate cross-departmental action towards sustainability goals, and work with our SMEs to develop their carbon reporting to the Trust so we can get a better understanding of our baseline and progress in reducing carbon emissions.
- Represent the Greener RFL network at a number of key collaborations at the Trust, for example the Bike Users Group / Active Travel Group, local NHS improvement teams etc., ensuring that support is given that ensures improvement methodology is rigorously applied and impact measured
- Represent and contribute experiential insight and learning on sustainability measures and metrics with other Trusts, and national bodies e.g. the Greener NHS so that best practice can spread rapidly.
- To act as a visible sustainability champion, and to develop a relational peer network with colleagues at the Trust, other colleagues at NHS Trusts and the central Greener NHS Team.
- Work with the communications team to coordinate and contribute to the implementation of a sustainability communication and engagement plan.
- Collate organise and document project updates and insights in a way that can be used to communicate progress at the Trust, inspire others, and rapidly share learning widely in innovate and novel ways
- Ensure that our Greener RFL intranet and website is up-to-date, dynamic and engaging through forward planning for content and securing new content.
- Organise and deliver awareness raising and celebration events
Person SpecificationRoyal Free World Class ValuesEssential
- Maintain up to date skills in project management, data manipulation and analysis, and effective writing and data visualisation
- Support the Greener RFL team in maintaining up-to-date programme plans, risks and issue logs
- Proactively create new Green Plan related databases and ensure that these are up to date and well structured so that the data can be easily used in creative ways to facilitate achieving sustainability goals
- Provide cover for colleagues as appropriate.
- Undertake any other duties requested as appropriate to the banding.
Education & professional QualificationsEssential
- Demonstrable ability to meet the Trust Values
- Degree (or equivalent experience)
- Qualification in environmental science.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in the use of databases
- Experience of using Microsoft office packages
- Experience of working with Senior Leaders, Senior Clinicians, and those responsible for holding data.
- Experience of working across complex organisational structures
- Experience of advanced minute and note taking
- Experience of leading on the coordination and subsequent organisation of project updates in ways that collate insight and learning that can be used to communicate progress at the Trust
Royal Free London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Free Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.