We are looking for an enthusiastic and skilled Clinical / Counselling Psychologist or CBT Therapist to join our committed and friendly team of clinicians
Talk Wandsworth - Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service for Wandsworth - offers evidenced-based psychological treatments, including CBT, IPT, DIT and BCT to its residents. The service is professionally led by a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and operationally led by a Clinical Manager. The high performing IAPT team provide evidence-based psychological treatments (CBT, IPT, DIT, BCT, EMDR) to people with common mental health problems including depression, anxiety disorders, PTSD and eating disorders within a stepped-care model. The clinical team includes qualified IAPT High Intensity CBT Therapists, Clinical and Counselling Psychologists, and Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners, who provide evidence-based psychological interventions in line with NICE guidance.
The service operates from 8am to 8pm Monday to Thursday, and Friday 8-4pm. Shift patterns are from 8am to 4pm and 12noon to 8pm and the post holder will be required to work flexible hours in line with this. This can be negotiated and will include week-day evenings.Main duties of the job
You will be providing Step 3 diagnostic assessments and evidence-based CBT treatment on an individual and group basis to clients aged 18 and over presenting with depression, anxiety disorders, PTSD and eating disorders. You will also be involved in the clinical supervision of Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners, Low Intensity Trainees and High Intensity Trainees, for which training will be provided. There will be opportunities to develop areas of interest such as working with long term health conditions, working with clients with learning disabilities, working with perinatal clients, by contributing to project groups or taking a Champion role. The four IAPT services in SWLSTG Trust work closely together to develop care pathways and share expertise. It would be desirable if you have completed a top up IAPT course like the Long term conditions training or hold an accreditation in another modality of treatment such as IPT.
High quality supervision and CPD are a priority for the team. You will receive regular weekly individual clinical supervision from one of our band 8a or 8b Clinical/Counselling Psychologists or CBT Therapists working within the service.About us
We are Proud to Belong at Southwest London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust and work with the South London Partnership Trusts. We have expert services, a rich history, and a clear commitment to providing the best quality care for those with mental ill-health. Care Quality Commission already rates our services as 'good' - we aspire to be 'outstanding'.
This is a great time to join us. We are transforming the way we care for our communities to support our mission of Making Life Better Together. We have built two brand new mental health facilities at Springfield University Hospital, which are amongst the best in the world. More developments are planned across our sites and services.
We are inclusive and diverse and strive to be actively anti racist. We want to attract people from all backgrounds and experiences to enrich the work we do together. We are proud to co-produce and involve our local communities in all that we do.
We offer flexible working, career development and a variety of benefits to enable a positive, welcoming environment in which our people and their careers can thrive. Come and join our inclusive teams and help our patients on their recovery journey.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
1. To deliver an average of 25 booked and 20 completed clinical contacts per week.
2. To provide highly specialist Step 3 clinical assessments based on the appropriate use, interpretation and integration of complex data from a variety of sources. This will include client self-report measures, rating scales, direct and indirect structured observations and semi-structured interviews.
3. To be knowledgeable about DSM-V diagnosis of common mental health problems (as relevant to IAPT) and skilled in the differential diagnosis of clinical disorders.
4. To be able to clinically formulate clients problems and develop and implement plans for the formal Step 3 treatment and/or management of a clients problems, based upon an appropriate conceptual framework and employing methods based upon evidence of efficacy.
5. A good understanding and ability to apply CBT treatment strategies flexibly across the whole range of disorders seen in IAPT (particularly depression, anxiety disorders and bulimic eating disorders).
6. To be responsible for implementing a range of psychological interventions (employed individually or in synthesis), maintaining a number of provisional hypotheses, adjusting and refining psychological formulations drawing upon different explanatory models and employing methods of intervention that are based upon evidence of treatment efficacy. and which rely primarily upon CBT models.
7. To evaluate and make decisions about treatment options taking into account both theoretical and therapeutic models and highly complex factors concerning historical and developmental processes that have shaped the individual, family or group.
8. To exercise autonomous professional responsibility for the assessment, treatment and discharge of clients whose problems are managed by psychologically based standard care plans.
9. To provide specialist psychological advice, guidance and consultation to other professionals in order to support accurate diagnosis and formulation as well as the development of a soundtreatment plan.
10. To undertake risk assessment and risk management for individual clients in line with the services risk management policy, and to provide advice to other professions on psychological aspects of risk assessment and risk management.Person SpecificationTraining and QualificationsEssential
- Doctoral level training in clinical or counselling psychology as accredited by the BPS, and HPC registration as a Practitioner Psychologist under the relevant domain
- Eligible for accreditation for as a CBT Therapist with the BABCP and prepared to seek accreditation. This would include evidence of formal training in CBT such as a Post graduate Diploma or Masters in CBT
- A recorded/registered qualification in one of the following - psychology, nursing, social work, occupational therapy, arts therapy and registration with the appropriate body for that profession
- BABCP Accreditation as CBT practitioner
- Training in the supervision of Step 2 clinicians (GMHWs and PWPs)
- Experience in establishing DSM-V diagnoses and in clinical formulation
- Experience of assessment and treatment of people with common mental health problems, of varying severity and complexity, using evidence based psychological therapies, particularly CBT
- Experience with routine outcome data collection and monitoring
Knowledge & SkillsEssential
- Post-qualification experience of working in primary care settings
- Experience of meeting agreed/specified service targets
- Experience in running Step 3 therapy groups
- Experience of using IAPTus
- Experience of working within a multicultural framework
- Psychological assessment skills and skills in DSM-Vbased diagnostic assessment
- Advanced practitioner skills in cogntive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Skills in the use of complex methods of psychological assessment and intervention which require sustained and intense concentration
- Skills in the assessment and evaluation of clinical risk
- Well developed skills in the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, complex, highly technical and or clinically sensitive information to clients, their families, carers and other professional colleagues both within and outside the NHS
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Knowledge of the academic literature concerning common mental disorders and their treatment within an IAPT service
- Skills in providing teaching and consultation to other professional and non-professional groups working in primary care
South West London and St Georges Mental Health NHS TrustAddress
56 Tooting High Street
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.