We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and motivated individual to join our Pay Services Team as an Assistant Pay Services Manager (APSM). This is a full-time permanent contract.
Our highly experienced and supportive management team comprises of 4 APSMs, a Deputy Pay, Pensions and Benefits Manager and a Pay, Pensions and Benefits Manager.
Our aim is to ensure all Trust colleagues are paid accurately and that payroll deadlines are met. We provide a first-class customer service to our colleagues with a dedicated Pay Services Helpdesk and dedicated Payroll and Pensions mailboxes to facilitate enquiries. Our Pay Services intranet page receives an average of 10,000 hits per month.Main duties of the job
In addition to the below summary you need to familiarise yourself with full job description and person specification documents attached to this advert.Day to day management of Pay Officers and the timely and accurate production of the monthly payroll.
We oversee a monthly Payroll for 20K staff, weekly payroll for 300 staff and 2 payrolls for 3rd Parties.
The post holder will need to be experienced in all aspects of Tax and National Insurance and Statutory Deductions. Knowledge of Agenda for Change and Medical and Dental Terms and Conditions would be an advantage but is not essential.
Helpdesk - we run a busy Helpdesk which receives on average 700 calls a week.
Pensions - we provide a quality pension service to all our colleagues. The schemes in place are the NHS Pension scheme and NEST. It is expected that you would have some working knowledge of Pensions and knowledge of either, the NHS Pension Scheme or NEST would be an advantage.About us
Our friendly and professional team comprises of 27 colleagues, we have 6 management staff, 10 Payroll Officers, a Pensions Officer, 2 Technical Support colleagues and 5 Administration staff.
Some of our team currently work from home, with some preferring to be office based. We offer flexible working hours where colleagues can start before 9am and finish as late as 6pm.
We communicate with each other daily using MS Teams and Cisco Jabber (phone). We hold monthly Team Meetings and the management team meet on a weekly basis.
NUH are one of the biggest employers in the city of Nottingham with a central role in supporting the health and wellbeing of our local population. We play a leading role in research, education and innovation.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
It is vital that you are reliable, self-motivated with excellent communication, numeracy and literacy skills, with the ability to prioritise and coordinate work and act on your own initiative with a mature attitude to work. MANAGERIAL
Conduct appraisals and regular 1-2-1 meetings with team members agreeing and reviewing objectives and performance against the Trust values and behaviours.
Act as a role model for the Trust values and behaviours, dealing appropriately with any breaches using Trust policies and procedures.
Monitor sickness absence in the team, using the Trusts Health and Attendance Policy and Procedures. This will include conducting Return to Work interviews and Wellbeing meetings, accessing HR advice as required.
Work with Pay Services staff members and HR to identify and address performance issues promptly and in line with Trust policies and procedures, keeping the senior management team informed as appropriate
Check the work of Administration Clerks and Pensions Officer to ensure accuracy, giving appropriate feedback and ensuring that where the same mistakes are repeated appropriate training is provided.
Support colleagues in the recruitment of new staff, including shortlisting, interviewing and appointing.
Create and sustain positive and productive working relationships with colleagues across Finance, in particular Financial Accounts, Financial Services and Financial Management, ensuring a joined up and customer focussed approach to the delivery of the service.
Create and sustain positive and productive working relationships with colleagues in HR, ensuring a joined up and customer focussed approach to the delivery of the service.
Ensure that payroll policies and procedures are implemented and contribute to the ongoing review and development of those policies and procedures to ensure continued compliance with legislation and regulation.
Ensure that staff are kept informed of priorities and developments in the department and have the opportunity to make suggestions for improvements
Attendance, when required, of the Local Special Interest Group for Pay and Pensions
Working with the team, continually look for ways to improve and streamline processes in order to enhance the service and make best use of resources. Payroll
Keep up to date with and provide prompt, expert, professional advice to colleagues, NUH staff and managers on:-
* NHS / NUH Terms and Conditions of Service, Agenda for Change and Medical and Dental, NHS Pensions and Salary Sacrifice Schemes.
* Statutory regulations relating to payroll, pensions and benefits e.g. PAYE, Injury benefit, removal/relocation expenses, maternity provision etc
Responsible for ensuring the delivery of the monthly payroll in accordance with agreed timetable
Responsible for checking and confirming agreed permanent data entered onto the ESR system, maintaining clear separation of duties
Support the Trust in ensuring that the Trusts obligations under PAYE, NI and Pensions etc. are met and that working relationships are maintained with the relevant Government agencies
Assist in the recovery of overpayments
Responsible for co-ordinating and communications in regards to the auto-enrolment into the NHS Pensions and NEST schemes Other
Attend meetings and/or give presentations, when required on behalf of the Pay Services Senior Management Team
Take a lead role/participate in specific Pay Services projects and service improvement initiatives to improve the quality, cost effectiveness and efficiency of the service, with support from the senior team as appropriate.
Act as an ambassador for the Pay Services department at all times, leading by example and promoting Pay Services initiatives.
Actively seek and respond to feedback from customers (individual employees and managers) in order to continually improve the service.
Deputise for the Deputy Pay, Pensions and Benefits Manager as required
Any other ad-hoc duties which may be requiredPerson SpecificationCommitment to Trust Values and BehavioursEssential
Training & QualificationsEssential
- Must be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with the Trust's we are here for you behavioural standards.
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent including Maths and English, at Grade C or above
- Educated to degree level or equivalent payroll experience
- Willing to study/develop knowledge
- Working knowledge of MS Office and general computer literacy, including the ability to develop, create, interpret and maintain complex spreadsheets and accurately manipulate financial data within them
- Minimum 3 years NHS or equivalent payroll experience
- Detailed knowledge and awareness of Payroll Systems
- In depth knowledge of PAYE and Statutory legislation
- Dealing with external agencies/companies in an assertive manner
- Has been in a management/team leader or supervisory capacity for a minimum of 1 year
Communication and relationship skillsEssential
- Previous supervisory/team leading experience within an NHS environment
- ESR experience
- Experience of dealing with internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of computerised finance systems
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and have the ability to convey complex financial issues to non-finance managers
- Display tact and diplomacy when dealing with staff and in internal and external colleagues
- Able to address small groups
- An effective communicator, able to use varied and appropriate communication to deal with a variety of situations
- Able to influence and manage difficult situations effectively
- Able to produce clear and concise user documentation to support the delivery of the Payroll Service
- Able to develop and maintain good working relationships with Managers, Staff and Customers
- Willingness to share knowledge and experience with colleagues
Analytical and Judgement skillsEssential
- Able to sell ideas to others
- Having lead or been heavily involved in project implementation
- Experience of Services Improvement and Change.
- Possess numerical and analytical skills, including the ability to assimilate and interpret complex data and make resultant judgements
- High level of computer literacy and technical competence, including evidence of the practical application of these competencies using a range of MS Products including: Excel and Word
- Able to resolve technical queries
- Able to make decisions when guided by broad policies and procedures
- Ability to manipulate data from a variety of sources and present in the most appropriate format (maps, charts, tables etc.), for a wide audience
- Able to identify the urgency of a situation and escalate as appropriate e.g. issues and risk.
Planning and organisation skillsEssential
- Can demonstrate the ability to interpret impact of system changes and advise users accordingly
- Ability to plan, organise and achieve objectives/tasks set within specified time frames/deadlines and coordinate the activities of junior staff
- Be able to provide examples of working to multiple deadlines
- Organised, with the ability to work in a high pressure environment and to tight deadlines
- Able to keep abreast of changes in Statutory Regulations/Trust policies
- Able to be an active member of a given project team, demonstrating the ability to lead in their area of responsibility and cope with unpredictable behaviour
Other requirements specific to the role (e.g be able to drive or work shifts)Essential
- Advanced keyboard skills gained through qualifications or experience
- Able to concentrate for long periods in an unpredictable/reactive environment
- Able to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Ability to use a PC more or less continuously in the working day
- Understands and respects confidentiality
- Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.