We are looking for a motivated and experienced Speech & Language Therapist who exemplifies our Trust values to join our Adult Acute Speech and Language Therapy (SLT) Department. The Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust service is responsible for the delivery of a high quality, evidence-based service to patients across a range of specialties including acute and specialist medicine, stroke and neurosciences, cancer, surgery and critical care.
The post holder will work as an integrated member of the multidisciplinary teams providing assessment, diagnosis and management to adult acute patients across the range of Charing Cross Hospital medical and surgical specialisms. This post will have a specific remit for patients presenting with communication and swallowing needs on the emergency medical admissions and respiratory pathways led by the acute specialist medicine teams. As a senior SLT, you will also play a key role in participating in the development of the SLT service, including audit and research, and delivering teaching programmes to other professions. They will contribute to the development of junior staff, including clinical supervision and appraisal of junior SLTs.Main duties of the job
To provide a highly specialist speech & language therapy (SLT) service to adult inpatients with disorders of communication and/or swallowing as part of the SLT Adult Acute service. This service is provided to patients within the specialisms of Acute and Specialist Medicine, Neurosciences, Surgery, Cancer and Critical Care.
The post holder will have a specific remit for patients admitted under the acute admissions and respiratory pathways, and will also input across all acute medical and surgical specialisms and levels of care (levels 1-3) as required by the service. She/he will provide highly specialist assessment, diagnosis, management, advice and treatment of communication and/ or swallowing disorders, as required. The post holder will provide support and a second opinion for colleagues and participate fully in multi-disciplinary working, service development and training. The post holder will be a senior member of the SLT service across Charing Cross (CXH), St Mary's (SMH) and Hammersmith Hospital (HH) sites, providing supervision to junior staff, participating in SLT service developments, audit and research and in delivering teaching programmes to colleagues in SLT and other professions.About us
At Imperial College Healthcare you can achieve extraordinary things with extraordinary people, working with leading clinicians pushing boundaries in patient care. Become part of a vibrant team living our values - expert, kind, collaborative and aspirational. You'll get an experience like no other and will fast forward your career.
Benefits include career development, flexible working and wellbeing, staff recognition scheme. Make use of optional benefits including Cycle to work, car lease schemes, season ticket loan or membership options for onsite leisure facilities.
We are committed to equal opportunities and improving the working lives of our staff and will consider applications to work flexibly, part-time or job share.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required. For both overviews please view the Job Description attachment with the job advert.Person SpecificationEducation/ qualificationsEssential
- Degree accredited by Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT)
- Current HCPC registration as a speech & language therapist
- Post graduate qualification in acquired disorders of swallowing and communication to Masters level or equivalent experience
- Professional portfolio demonstrating experience and achievements
- Post-qualification experience working at a highly specialist level with adults with acute and chronic disorders of communication and swallowing arising from a range of aetiologies within an acute hospital setting
- Management of complex communication and swallowing impairments across a wide range of medical and surgical specialities across all levels of care (level 1-3)
- Working as an integrated member of the MDT
- Delivering a service to rapid assessment settings (e.g. acute medical, short-stay, acute assessment units)
- Working at RCSLT level 2a FEES assessor competence
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Specialist level of clinical skills and knowledge relevant to the management of adults with swallowing and communication disorders in the acute hospital setting, underpinned by current models of best practice
- Proven ability to receive and adapt to change
- Able to provide an ongoing service to emotionally demanding patients/ carers
- Good organisation and time management skills
- Knowledge of learning styles to support supervision of qualified and unqualified SLTs, assistants, students and volunteers as required.
- Effective teaching skills
Imperial College Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
Charing Cross Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.