An exciting opportunity has arisen for a cross-site Band 7 (Predicted Grade) Training and Quality Lead (TQL) within the Microbiology Laboratories at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust . You would work alongside laboratory based support staff and Biomedical Scientists, Advanced Biomedical Scientists, Technical Service Manager, Principle Health Care Scientist, Consultant Microbiologists, Pathology Quality Manager and Pathology Operational Manager to promote good practices and to drive and influence service development in order to improve patient care.
The post is based at Royal Lancaster Infirmary within the Microbiology Department, however the successful candidate will be required to work at both Royal Lancaster Infirmary and Furness General Hospital laboratory sites, and will be expected to divide their working time appropriately at both sites to ensure equality.
To be considered for the role you must be suitably qualified (see Person Specification) and have significant discipline specific experience and knowledge in Microbiology, Training and Education, and Quality Management Systems, to ensure that the high standards already established within the department are maintained.
Please be aware that this role has been advertised as a Predicted Grade, as it is currently being approved through the Job Evaluation processes and therefore may be subject to change.Main duties of the job
The post-holder will be required to take a lead in supervising, training, and competency assessing laboratory staff, and will work closely with other senior management to provide leadership, training and supervision. The post-holder will work collaboratively with both the Microbiology and wider Pathology team to maintain and develop effective systems for quality assurance within the Department. This roles includes but is not limited to organising the completion of IBMS registration and specialist portfolios, producing and implementing training plans for placement students, supervising and mentoring staff undertaking apprenticeships and educational courses, developing and agreeing of standards, metrics, and quality assurance schemes, undertaking audits, and investigation of incidents and non-compliance.
Candidates will need to be enthusiastic, well- motivated and innovative, with good organisational and practical abilities supported by scientific knowledge. Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to support individual and team working is essential.
Candidates should note that UHMB is part of a pathology collaboration project. Four provider organisations in L& SC have committed to form a network and collaborate on pathology services, including Blackpool Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust.About us
We operate from three main hospitals - Furness General Hospital (FGH) in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI), and Westmorland General Hospital (WGH) in Kendal, as well as a number of community health care premises including Millom Hospital and GP Practice, Queen Victoria Hospital in Morecambe, and Ulverston Community Health Centre.
FGH and the RLI have a range of General Hospital services, with full Emergency Departments, Critical/Coronary Care units and various Consultant-led services.
WGH provides a range of General Hospital services, together with an Urgent Treatment Centre, that can help with a range of non-life threatening conditions such as broken bones and minor illnesses.
All three main hospitals provide a range of planned care including outpatients, diagnostics, therapies, day case and inpatient surgery. In addition, a range of local outreach services and diagnostics are provided from community facilities across Morecambe Bay.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To read more information about the advertised role, and the main job duties/responsibilities please open the Job Description and Person Specification located under the supporting documents heading. You can also read more information about University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay visiting our website https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/Person SpecificationEducation and qualificationsEssential
- HCPC registration
- Specialist Portfolio in Microbiology or equivalent experience
- MSc in Biomedical Sciences/ FIBMS
- Certificate in Expert Practice (CEP) in Training or equivalent qualification
- Certificate in Expert Practice (CEP) in Quality Management or equivalent qualification
- Certified to undertake IBMS registration or specialist portfolio assessment
- Proven Microbiology experience and knowledge as an Advanced Biomedical Scientist
- Experience in development of Quality Management Systems (QMS) and Staff training and development.
- Experience of external and internal quality assurance systems
- Experience in undertaking laboratory analyses relevant to the discipline.
- Experience of participating in UKAS assessment
Skills, ability and knowledgeEssential
- Evidence of presenting or lecturing
- Demonstrates a commitment to team working
- Evidence of complex problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Evidence of organisational skills
- Evidence of use of QMS IT systems
- Evidence of continuous career development.
- Bacteriology, Serology, Mycology and PCR Skills and Knowledge
- Health & Safety Knowledge
- Ability to travel between both RLI and FGH sites frequently.
- Evidence of good communication skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrate flexibility in approach to work patterns
- Evidence of commitment to a training culture
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS TrustAddress
Royal Lancaster Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.