The Royal Marsden is the largest comprehensive cancer centre in Europe, one of the top ranked NHS Trusts in the country, recognised worldwide for the quality of our services. We believe it is only by having the very best nurses and helping them improve that we can deliver the highest standards of care to our patients. That's why we offer unparalleled training and development, an exceptional range of benefits. The MDU at our Chelsea site is a vibrant, fast paced clinical environment specialising in the delivery of chemotherapy and supportive care therapies.
We are currently looking for a motivated, experienced Staff Nurse to join our team on a permanent full time basis. You will need to be a registered nurse. Demonstrable post registration and experience in the administration of IV medications is essential. Intravenous cannulation, venepuncture and chemotherapy administration are desirable, however full training will be given.
In addition you will possess excellent oral and written communication skills this will include co-ordinating the shift, be a reliable, enthusiastic and effective team member, and be committed to providing the highest level of service to our patients. The successful candidate will demonstrate sound decision making and assessment skills.Main duties of the job
- To coordinate and supervise a shift, communicating effectively with members of a multidisciplinary team to deliver high quality, evidence-led care to patients.
- To exercise clinical judgment and decision making about patient needs in terms of long term goals or plans.
- To participate fully in the day to day organization and running of clinical trials including the recruitment, education and monitoring of patients entering a clinical trial and liaison as required with trial sponsors.
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesFor further information on this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification:
- Counterchecking patients vital signs, blood results, patient body surface area, chemotherapy prescription and consent before administration of treatment.
- Educating patients on their treatment such as indications and side effects.
- Ensuring necessary medication and follow up appointments are obtained.
- To plan, document, deliver and evaluate care plans from admission through to discharge / transfer discussing this with the patient, their family and multi-disciplinary teams and to alert the Sister/Charge Nurse of any changes. To set goals for each of the identified nursing issues and encourage / teach other nursing staff to do the same. To help the patient achieve set goals through care planning.
- NMC Registration
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- RMH Certificate in Intravenous Drug Administration or to be obtained within three months of appointment
- Qualification in oncology or speciality
- Diploma or Degree level study (or equivalent)
- Recognised teaching qualification
- Experience in intravenous drug administration
- Sufficient post registration nursing experience in oncology or speciality to be confident and competent in using the required skills to do the job
- Experience in chemotherapy administration
- Experience in Clinical Management
- Evidence of relevant teaching experience
- Knowledge and understanding of clinical trials management
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in oncology or area of specialty
- Venepuncture and/or cannulation skills
- Computer Literacy (e.g. use of Microsoft Word and Outlook)
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden Hospital Chelsea
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.