Applications are sought for a one year Genetics Counsellor post within the Cancer Genetics Unit at the Royal Marsden to transform our BRCA Carrier Register. We are seeking a Genetic Counsellor or Registered Nurse with an interest in Cancer Genetics to transform our BRCA Carrier Register, the post holder will be Band 7 GCRB Registered/Band 6 GCRB Eligible to Register. The role is cross-site at both our Chelsea and Sutton hospitalsMain duties of the jobBackground to the BRCA carrier register
Patients identified as carrying a germline high-risk pathogenic variant are entered onto one of our carrier registers within our pedigree software (Trakgene). To date, our register includes over 2000 BRCA1 and BRCA2 carriers. The register entry for each patient is reviewed at key stages to ensure all management recommendations have been addressed in accordance with the UK Cancer Genetics Group Management Guidelines. Some of these stages are age specific such as entry into the Very High Risk Breast Screening Programme or discussion around risk-reducing ovarian surgery. Other reviews relate to cascade testing, whereby the genetic result is cascaded to other family members so that they can have predictive testing. The register is also an important resource for recruitment to research studies and a means of identifying patients who need to be informed of updates to guidelines.
Patients who are on our carrier register are also given open access to the Cancer Genetics team including an on-call Genetic Counsellor for advice Monday to Friday 9-5, and the option of requesting a clinic appointment without need for a new referral. Transforming the registers
In March 2023 the Royal Marsden hospital introduced EPIC, a new digital health record which also incorporates a patient portal, My Marsden. This provides a timely opportunity to review our registers, to integrate them with our new system and consider creative ways to optimise patient care.About us
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further information on this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification.
The post holder will review patients on the register and undertake the following:
- Work creatively to transform the BRCA carrier register using our new digital health record (EPIC), including the My Marsden patient portal, to future proof the Register and devise an SOP so this model can be applied to all Carrier Registers
- Confirm patient genotype and review classification of variant in line with contemporary national variant classification guidelines https://www.cangene-canvaruk.org/gene-specific-recommendations
- Summarise care to date for each carrier in accordance with the UK Cancer Genetics Group Management Guidelines (UKCGG leaflets and guidelines - Cancer Genetics Group) and to enter a summary onto the Royal Marsden digital patient record
- Use EPIC to set a next review date for the appropriate gene, and at the appropriate age, to maximise efficiency and minimise reviews with no potential actions
- Identify any research study for which the patient is eligible and invite accordingly, for example EMBRACE (EMBRACE Study - Centre for Cancer Genetic Epidemiology (cam.ac.uk)
The post holder will sit within the Cancer Genetics team and work closely with colleagues including genetic counsellors, research nurses, consultants, and administrative team. They will participate in our weekly team meeting and the on-call Genetic Counsellor rota.Person SpecificationEducation and knowledgeEssential
- Registered genetic counsellors (GCRB or STP) Or Registered Nurses with relevant experience/training in cancer genetics
- Ability to interact professionally and compassionately with patients
- Ability to work well within a team
- Ability to work independently and problem solve
- Excellent organizational skills and general attention to detail
- Knowledge of cancer genetics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Competent in use of basic IT, e.g., Excel
- Experience with oncology/genetics patient care
- Experience in interactions with a multidisciplinary team
- Experience in direct communication (verbal/written) with patients
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in (genetic) counselling
- Experience in delivery of clinical studies/research
- Experience of clinical audit and/or service evaluations
- Experience of using technology to optimise patient care
- Experience of clinical audit
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden Chelsea
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.