To support and deputise for the Ward Sister/Charge Nurse toensure the provision of excellent nursing care and the effectivemanagement of staff and other resources. To co-ordinate theday-to-day management of the ward/department and ensureexcellent communication is maintained & facilitate patient flowthrough the department. To ensure that there are educationand training opportunities for all staff, including pre and postregistration students and /or providing specialist knowledge ifworking in a clinical area where a post registration course isessential e.g critical care setting. To assist the ward sister inmaintain safe staffing levels.Main duties of the job
St George's Hospital is one of the country's leading teaching hospitals with an international reputation for patient care, education and research.
Benjamin Weir ward is a 28 bedded ward that specialises in the care of patients undergoing cardiac surgery, stepping down patients from CTICU on day 1 post surgery.
Benjamin Weir ward is a dynamic ward that is changing with the increasing demands on the St George's cardiac surgery service, a regional tertiary centre delivering high quality care.
We are looking for applicants with strong leadership skills and experience. Ideally you should have a minimum of 18 months experience within Cardiac surgery.You will be expected to work as an excellent role model as you develop your clinical and leadership skills providing excellent patient care. You will take charge and lead the team with the support of the Senior Sister and Junior Charge Nurse with an emphasis to drive and continually improve patient care and customer service. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team working closely with doctors, surgeons, Nurse Practitioners, teams of physiotherapists and occupational therapists, as well as the Cardiothoracic ITU.
So if you are ambitious and have excellent leadership skills and can make a real difference while caring for cardiac surgery patients this is the job for you.About us
The post holder is expected to have a clear understanding of how this post contributes to the achievement of the trust vision of:Since 2015 we have been a thriving Foundation Trust at the heart of an integrated healthcare system. One that delivers improved patient care at a community, hospital and specialist setting, supported by a unique and nationally recognised programme of research, education and employee engagement. We expect all our staff to share the values that are important to the Trust, beingExcellent, Kind, Responsible & Respectful, and behave in a way that reflect these.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached Job description and personal specification which contains more information about the role.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- RN (general)
- Minimum of 3 years post registration experience, of which 18 months within the speciality
- Awareness of professional responsibilities
- Knowledge of current nursing issues
- Relevant specialist course
Desirable Education and ResearchEssential
- Ability to prioritise work and to co-ordinate the ward or department
- Ability to assess, plan and evaluate patient care according to individual needs.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the application of leadership skills
- Has good verbal and written communication abilities
- Demonstrates knowledge of the application of evidence based practice
- Demonstrates an understanding of the assessment process for student nurses
- Has knowledge of performance review
- Education/Mentorship/Practice Assessor qualification
- Evidence of audit or research project
- Attended IPR course / knowledge of performance review
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for the clinical speciality
- Demonstrates a caring and sensitive approach to patient care
- Adaptable and responsive to changing needs
- Ability to motivate and lead staff for a shift
- Ability to identify stress in self and others and to take effective action to manage the situation.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Clinical Leadership Course
St George's Healthcare NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.