As an Apprentice Therapeutic Radiographer, you will undertake the study required over a 3 year period to attain your state registration. You will be required to attend Sheffield Hallam University for some of the academic learning but most of the academic study is delivered on line.
You will spend the non academic portions of your training working in the Radiotherapy department, learning the clinical skills required to fulfil the requirements for registration at the end of your training.
Radiotherapy is a fulfilling career treating patients with cancer using high energy X-Rays. The role is both technical, scientific and caring so someone with these attributes and an interest in training for a career in Therapeutic Radiography would be a good candidate.
The department is busy ands during your training you will experience a wide range of equipment and treatment techniques.Main duties of the job
- Assist in the daily workload of the department, liaising with portering service, administration staff and other members of the MDT to facilitate the co-ordination of patient appointments.
- To identify the patient as per trust policy
- Under the supervision of a registered practitioner operate radiotherapy equipment in both the treatment areas as well as in the pre-treatment area.
- Under the supervision of a registered practitioner carry out machine QA.
- Under the supervision of a registered practitioner follow departmental procedure for equipment shutdown.
- Under the supervision of a registered practitioner assess patients' medical condition monitor their progress during treatment and any significant changes are reported to your supervising radiographer.
- The post holder will make a commitment to study both at work and at home during the duration of the apprenticeship course
- Attendance of the Universities teaching session are mandatory (either e-learning, virtual tutorials or on site tutorials), annual leave is to be taken outside of the universities teaching sessions.
- To be prepared to undertake any formal or informal training required to fulfil the needs of the post. This includes self-study.
- To participate in the Trust's appraisal process and consider personal and professional development plan.
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust is one of the largest and most modern in the country. Based across two sites, Royal Stoke in Stoke-on-Trent and County Hospital in Stafford, we are proud to serve around three million people and we're highly regarded for our facilities, teaching and research. We are the specialist centre for major trauma for the North Midlands and North Wales.
All of our employees make a valuable contribution regardless of role here at UHNM and we are proud of our wide range of development packages aimed at ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their true potential.
UHNM create and encourage a culture of inclusion, providing equal opportunities for career development that are fair and transparent. We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer and foster a culture in which all staff feel valued and respected. In return we ask all of our employees to make a commitment to the values, co-created by or staff, patients and carers, and that unite us as a Trust.
At University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust we know that investing in, supporting and developing our staff has a direct impact on the quality of care that we deliver. Our employees are as important as our patients and the population that we serve.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see the job description and person specification for more details on the role and responsibilities of the post.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- oGCSE passes at grade C/ grade 4 or above in English, GCSE passes at grade D/ grade 4 or above in maths. 120 UCAS points from A levels with 40 points from a relevant subject. Approved relevant access to HE diploma or a relevant degree at 2.2 with honours
- Evidence of understanding what Therapeutic Radiography is.
- Must be UK based to be eligible for apprenticeship
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Must not have a degree in a subject related to Radiography
University Hospital of North Midlands NHS TrustAddress
Royal Stoke University Hospital
Stoke on Trent
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.