The midwife provides the necessary supervision, care and advice to women during pregnancy, labour and the post-partum period, conducts deliveries on her own responsibility and cares for the newborn and the infant. The care includes preventative measures, the detection of abnormal conditions in mother and child, the procurement of medical assistance and theexecution of emergency measures in the absence of medical help. This is in line with the NMC Code.
This is a rotational midwifery post allowing for development and experience to be gained by working as an integral member of the midwifery team. There is a recognised preceptorship period for newly qualifiedmidwives who need to consolidate, build confidence and gain core competencies to attain the knowledge and skills.Main duties of the job
Explore your potential and the possibilities at the Duchess of Kent Maternity Unit for Women and Babies, which is situated in North West London and is part of the Hillingdon Hospital. We are a busy unit delivering 4200 babies a year. As part of the development and modernisation of our services, we have a dedicated Home Birth team and active Birth Centre team who both caseload the women under their care.
Hillingdon Hospital has been part of the NWL Better Births Projectand has successfully developed continuity models. This collaborative work has now evolved into the Maternity Transformation project.We are looking to develop further continuity across a variety of care pathways for the women across this sector. We hope you will consider joining us on our journey and being involved in this inspirational work.
As a unit we believe in choice, we are passionate about women centred care, and are committed to offering a wide range of experiences and development for our staff. The latest 2018 CQC report rated Hillingdon Maternity Good to Outstanding in the 6 Domains inspected.
We are looking for dedicated and motivated midwives with high standards of clinical and communication skills, who are enthusiastic and willing to develop their skills to join our temporary staff bank.
Hillingdon Hospital has been part of the NWL Better Births Projectand has successfully developed continuity models. This collaborative work has now evolved into the Maternity Transformation project.About us
The Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the only acute hospital in the London Borough of Hillingdon and offers a wide range of services including accident and emergency, inpatient care, day surgery, outpatient clinics and maternity services. The Trust's services at Mount Vernon Hospital include routine day surgery, delivered at a modern treatment centre, a minor injuries unit and outpatient clinics.
Our staff are real superstars how they have responded to the challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic was amazing and reflects our values - which guide our decisions, our teamwork, how we support our people and how we deliver our patient care.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Responsibilities and key result areas to include:
1. The midwife is responsible accountable for her/his own midwifery practice
2. To reinforce professional advice through supporting and encouraging couples inactive parenting skills in the postnatal period.
3. To assist the parents in caring for their babies hygiene, development and well-being whilst promoting babies safety, protection and security.
4. To encourage the parents in the active steps to promote effective feeding of their baby within the UNICEF guidelines.
5. To providing antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care, reporting any deviations from the normal to a more experienced registered midwife.
6. The midwife will respond appropriately to all emergency situations
7. The midwife will assist more experienced midwives and medical staff in the context of her/his own knowledge, experience and sphere of responsibility to develop their own professional competence.
8. The midwife will liaise with other agencies involved in the provisions of maternity services and seek advice from the more experienced midwife as required.
9. To foster peoples equality, diversity and rights.
10. To promote effective communication and relationships with people which value them as individuals.
11. To participate in the process of identifying health hazards assessing risk and implementing control measures to promote the health and safety of women babies and staff
12. To receive, document, transmit, store and retrieve information in an accurate manner consistent with their urgency and maintaining confidentiality at all times.
13. To support individuals experiencing a change in their care requirements and provision, enabling individuals to prepare for, transfer to and become familiar with new care requirements.
14. To work within local policies, procedures, guidelines and local practice agreements
15. To work in partnership with health care professionals and others involved in providing care
16. Actively participate in continuing professional development and obtaining core competencies (e.g. cannulation, intravenous drug administration and care of women with epidural anaesthesia)Person SpecificationSHORTLIST CRITERIAEssential
Employer detailsEmployer name
- SHORTLIST RESERVE
The Hillingdon Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Hillingdon Hospitals
Pield Heath Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.