This post offers an exciting opportunity to join the newly commissioned Adult Autism Intensive Support Team in Cornwall.
The successful applicant will be working as part of a new dynamic and enthusiastic team providing person-centred care to adults over 18 with autism and who have complex healthcare/behavioural needs.
Part-time hours will be considered.Main duties of the job
- To work as a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist with Adults with Autistic Spectrum Conditions to facilitate discharge from inpatient Mental Health settings or provide crisis support in the community to prevent admission.
- To undertake comprehensive assessment of those referred using investigative and analytical skills and to formulate individualized interventions based on advanced clinical reasoning and partnership working.
- To encourage and enable service users and carers involvement and choice in all intervention options and decisions regarding their care plans / goals wherever possible.
- Communicate the outcome of communication assessment to relevant others to ensure that individuals are correctly supported with their communication needs.
- Lead on the planning and delivery of education to other health and social care workers on the topics of communication and/or dysphagia in Adults with Autism.
- Apply specialist knowledge to participate in the planning, development and evaluation of high quality Speech and Language Therapy services for Adults with Autism.
We're an NHS community and mental health provider Trust based in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. We deliver community and hospital-based care to improve people's physical and mental health. We also provide specialist support to people with dementia or a learning disability.
We are a people organisation and people matter to us. As part of the team, you'll help support the health and wellbeing of the people who live and visit this beautiful part of the UK.
Over 4,000 people make up the Trust. This includes doctors, nurses, therapists, plus admin and support staff.
We work in people's homes, in community clinics and bases. Some staff work from one of our 13 community hospitals. Our aspiration is to have great people, provide great care, be a great place to work and a great partner.
Approximately 568,000 people live here. A third of people who live in Cornwall are supported by acute hospital services in Devon. As a result, we also work closely with our partners in Devon. In the summer, and during other holidays lots of people choose to visit the area. This increases the numbers of people who use our services.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To view a detailed job description and person specification including the main responsibilities of this role please see supporting documents.Person SpecificationEducation / Qualifications and Relevant ExperienceEssential
Skills and AptitudeEssential
- A Degree or Diploma in Speech and Language Therapy
- Health Professions Council registered
- Extensive experience of working with people with Autism and/or Mental Health conditions
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team
- Recent evidence of Continuing Professional Development and ability to complete reflective practice
- Evidence of successful completion of specialist short courses relevant to Adults with Autism up to masters degree level, or equivalent
Knowledge and abilitiesEssential
- Highly skilled in use of standardised assessments and professionally recognised non-standardised assessment tools relevant to this client group
- Advanced skills in planning and implementing holistic intervention that is service user centred and recognises the needs of carers
- Ability to organise and manage an individual caseload effectively, and to set own priorities
- Willingness to undertake further training relevant for this post
- Ability to use computers and technical equipment as required within the workplace
- Specialist knowledge and application of SLT assessments and interventions relevant to people with Autism
- Knowledge of Mental Health conditions in association with autism
- Knowledge of the Mental Capacity Act
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Knowledge of Autism and Mental Health legislation and current NICE guidance relevant to this client group
- Audit and research experience
Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.