An exciting opportunity has become available for a motivated and dynamic Nurse to join our team of Surgical Nurse Practitioners, to support the increase in demand on skin cancer services.
Main duties of the job
- Interview Date 20/10/2023
- 37 Hours 30 Minutes/Week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
The successful candidate will join a well-integrated team of practitioners working alongside Consultant clinics in the Dermatology Department, providing surgical support for patients requiring diagnostic biopsies. Ongoing opportunities will become available to aid in the management of surgical waiting lists, and providing surgical support in a variety of outreach clinics.
The successful candidate will receive a high level of in-house training with a program of competencies to complete. An element of self-directed learning of anatomy and physiology will be expected, to support the application of practical skills.
Flexibility to meet the requirements of covering an extended 5-day service is essential.About us
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of �1 billion.
We have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
Please see attached information on what Staff Benefits we have to offer at our Trust.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust define a nurse practitioner as a qualified nurse where the primary purpose of role is to perform a specific technological procedure/s e.g. endoscopy, ultrasound in a defined patient group and/or advanced patient assessment and clinical decision making in a broad patient group.
To work towards the role of an independent nurse practitioner, contributing towards the delivery of a quality service matching clinical need to available resources within the focus of specialist nursing practice:
- To ensure that the patient is the central focus of a streamlined patient journey ensuring optimal quality of care.
- Will provide a prompt response to calls from colleagues, prioritising importance and clinical need.
- Supports the clinical team to manage a defined caseload, activity to include assessment, investigation, diagnosis and treatment within defined protocols and training.
- Provide immediate care management of patient including communication of plan to patients and significant others.
- Review and refer to appropriate person, e.g. AHP, resident medical staff, specialist registrar or critical care outreach team.
- Liaises with Patient Services Coordinator.
- Communicate within multidisciplinary team, ward/departmental staff and/or out of hours team.
- Contributes to specialist education and training to ward departmental staff, nursing and medical students.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.Person SpecificationQualifications & EducationEssential
- oRegistered Nurse (appropriate to branch)
- oCurrent NMC registration
- oDiploma plus specialist qualifications / experience within specialist area prepared to take degree level study
- oWorking towards / prepared to work towards: Nurse Practitioner Qualification or equivalent
- oClinical Skills Course
- oNon-Medical prescribing if relevant to role
- oMeets Nursing and Midwifery Council standards for student supervision and assessment (formally Mentorship) if relevant to role
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- oDegree in health related subject
- oHas undertaken and completed Non-medical independent nurse prescribing course
- oExtended clinical practice underpinned by training and assessment e.g. venepuncture, cannulation skills and intravenous drug administration
- oAudit / research experience
- o Evidence of on-going continuous professional development
- oKnowledge and understanding of relevant NHS policy or project specific policy context
- oHas understanding / experience of adult / child safeguarding
Skills & AbilitiesEssential
- oResearch or audit experience
- oEvidence of contribution to education programmes and / or training
- oGood IT skills
- oAble to work independently and across disciplines as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- oEffective organisation and time management skills
- oCurrent driving licence if relevant to role
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oChange management skills and involvement in project work
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Victoria Infirmary
317 02 Royal Victoria Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.