Paediatric Staff Nurse , A& E �29,553 - �36,265 per annum incl. HCAS West Middlesex University Hospital
Are you a skilled Paediatric nurse, looking for a challenge?
We are looking for someone who is motivated, enthusiastic and possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills along with the ability to work within a multidisciplinary team within the fast pace environment of Accident & Emergency to join our friendly team in Paediatric A& E. The Paediatric Emergency Department is a busy, challenging and rewarding department in the heart of west London. We work in a brand new department with excellent facilities for children and families. You will be given a structured orientation to meet your individual needs to develop as a Paediatric A& E nurse.We encourage our staff to undertake specific courses eg PILS, Trauma, Mentorship, APLS, A& E course, Stabilisation of the unwell child course as well as in house training days eg venepuncture and cannulation with regular simulation teaching from our dedicated education doctors. Main duties of the job
The Sister/Charge Nurse is expected to support and lead staff within the Paediatric Emergency Department. This role carries the continuing responsibility for the management of the department, as delegated by the Matron, together with the provision of a 24 hour expert paediatric emergency nurse service.
As a member of the nursing team s/he will deliver a high standard of nursing care based on the theory of family centred care. S/he will be expected to act as a role model and work with the multidisciplinary team within the directorate ensuring that a high standard of holistic care is maintained for all children and their families. S/he will assist senior nursing staff with management requirements ensuring that a quality service is maintained. S/he is expected to participate in education throughout the unit and hospital and ensure quality is maintained.About us
We provide services from two main hospitals, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and West Middlesex University Hospital, and a number of clinics across London and the South-East.
We have over 6,000 members of staff that are PROUD to Care
for nearly one million people. Both hospitals provide full clinical services, including full maternity, emergency and children's, in addition to a range of community-based services across London, such as award-winning sexual health and HIV clinics.
We're one of the safest and best performing Trusts in the country. We're also one of the top trusts to work for - our staff say they're engaged, motivated, and would recommend us as a place to work and receive treatment.
In 2020 Trust was rated by the Care Quality Commission as Outstanding in the well-led and use of resources domains and Good in the safe, effective, caring, and responsive domains. The Trust as a whole was Good, but the Chelsea site was Outstanding.
Our facilities are some of the best in the country. We have been investing around �10 million a year in our estate. We are currently spending �25 million on expanding our adult and neonatal critical care facilities at Chelsea and Westminster and redevelopment of our children's unit at West Middlesex - in partnership with our charity, CW+ and generous donors.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationEducation & QualificationsEssential
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate care given to patients
- Maintaining high standards of patient care
- To acquire competency in basic nursing skills for ED
- To liaise closely with social services, health visitors and the childrens ward to ensure the safety and wellbeing of children seen in ED when required
- To ensure the safety of patients in accordance with local and national safeguarding process
- Be proactive in maintaining local and national Quality Indicators for ED
- Ensure information is captured on the electronic patient tracking system (Symphony and LAS handover) and to ensure the accurate documentation of patient care in notes.
- To assist in the admission, transfer and discharge of patients in accordance with local policy.
- To participate in audit
- To maintain awareness of and comply with Trust policies and protocols at all times.
- To work effectively within the multi-disciplinary team in order to achieve desired outcomes for patients and their families
- Be active in creating and maintaining an harmonious working environment
- To fulfil the role of the departmental triage nurse, utilising advanced skills of assessment, prioritisation, decision-making, risk management and communication skills.
- To have responsibility for the security and maintenance of equipment belonging to the Emergency Department
- Actively developing and improving the services we provide
- Ensuring patient safety at all times
- Ensuring safe clinical practice amongst the MDT at all times
- Never undertaking practice that you do not feel competent in
- Respond to incidents and complaints as they arise, reporting to senior
- Embrace and encourage change in clinical areas/hospital Trust
- Registered Nurse
- Level 3 Safeguarding
- PILS certificate
- Mentoring/Assessing qualification or willingness to undertake.
- minor injury assessment
Skills and KnowledgeEssential
- Evidence of further study.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Clinical documentary competence working towards -IV Drug Administration -Plastering -Minor Injury Assessment & Treatment
- Proven teamwork qualities
- Ability to deal with relatives in stressful or bereavement situations, giving a high level of support and advice.
- Able to recognise the potential for physical or verbal violence and take action to defuse the situation.
- Ensure correct use of IT system, and be aware of the importance of information
- Be aware of role in a major incident and be capable of managing the department response to an incident.
- An understanding of professional issues relating to safeguarding the child and family.
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
West Middlesex Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.