Over the last three years the trust have been training senior non-medical clinicians as Multi-Professional ACs who are then able to take on much of the RC responsibilities for patients other than Mental Health Act Assessments. The first cohort are now deployed and there are inpatient fully qualified MPACs in Exeter and Torbay. There is a Nurse Consultant, Liz Moakes, currently training on Moorland View who will be due to qualify as an AC in 2025. This means you will have a senior clinical colleague and consultants who have had trainee MPACs have found them to be an enormous asset. There will be an additional PA for supervision of the MPAC whilst they are training. The junior doctor complement is a core trainee and a foundation year two doctor.
The trust is currently undertaking a senior workforce review. As a consequence of this we are moving towards having 1.5 RCs on each inpatient ward which is likely to be a combination of a consultant psychiatrist and a qualified MPAC.
The trust have recently appointed a new Chief Medical Officer who is innovative and dedicated to getting things right for staff so we can get things right for patients. We want to make this role work for you and would be delighted to have a discussion about what this would look like. There are opportunities for additional PAs above the 11 and for some remote working.Main duties of the job
We are seeking an inpatient consultant for Moorland View, a 16 bed mixed gender acute ward in Barnstaple, North Devon. This post has become available as the longstanding consultant is moving to a recently opened 10 bed rehabilitation ward on the same site. The ward has a mature MDT including psychology, occupational therapy and pharmacist input, and an experienced ward manager. There are excellent links with the CMHTs, liaison psychiatry, Home Treatment Teams and AMPHs. There are two other wards co-located Ocean View 10 bed rehabilitation ward, and Meadow View for older adults. Both of these wards have substantive consultants. The AMPH office is onsite. The wards are located on the North Devon District Hospital site allowing easy access to DGH facilities when required. The post comes with a dedicated office and secretarial support.
Please contact Dr Annabel Walmsleyannabelwalmsley@nhs.net/ 07743 898269, interim Clinical Director for Urgent and Inpatient Care, for an informal discussion of the role.About usAbout Devon Partnership Trust
We provide mental health, learning disability and neurodiversity services, as well as a range of specialist & secure services for the wider south west region & nationally. We are passionate about promoting good mental health & wellbeing. We strive to use the expertise & resources within our organisation, and through our partnerships, to deliver high quality services that are safe & focused on people's recovery.
We are committed to developing a culture of coproduction, involving patients, families & carers in everything we doOur values
We not only recruit based on qualifications & experience - we recruit individuals who possess & demonstrate the behaviours which underpin our Trusts core values. These include such attributes as showing a commitment to quality of care, improving lives of others, giving respect, dignity & compassion. We can bring those values to life in our everyday tasks by giving a smile making time for people challenging ourselves & others, & being open to new ideas.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer & applications are encouraged & welcomed from all sections of the community, regardless of any protected characteristics as governed by the Equality Act 2010. Part time & flexible working applications will be considered & supported, where possible. We particularly encourage applicants with lived experience of mental health conditions, neurodiversity or learning disabilities. We are a Disability Confident Leader.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the full Job Description and Person specification attached to this advert which will provide further information on this role.Person SpecificationExperienceEssential
- Experience of multidisciplinary team working.
- Wide clinical experience in adult, older adult psychiatry.
- Experience of audit and an understanding of the principles of clinical governance.
- Proven commitment to improving the quality of clinical care.
- Experience in inpatient psychiatry.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Evidence of ability to exercise leadership in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other clinical teams.
- Evidence of new ideas in service delivery.
- A track record of implementing service initiatives.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and managers.
- Awareness of NHS management and funding arrangements.
- Management training / experience.
- Experience of involvement in service development.
- MBBS (or equivalent).
- Registration with the GMC (or eligible to become registered) with a licence to practice.
- MRCPsych or equivalent qualification.
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register, or eligible for inclusion, or included within 6 months of CCT. Approved under Section 12(2) of the Mental Health Act 1983.
- Approved Clinician status.
Teaching and SupervisionEssential
- Possess a CCT (or equivalence) in adult psychiatry.
- Postgraduate qualifications in a relevant field.
- Has undergone training in educational supervision.
- Has undergone training in appraisal.
- Experience of teaching undergraduates and postgraduates.
- Other evidence of supporting professional development of others.
- Evidence of additional teaching skills.
- Experience as a lecturer or supervisor.
- Experience in Clinical Supervision.
- Ability to interpret published research and to apply research findings to clinical practice.
- Aptitude for and practical experience of research.
- A team player able to inspire and support staff at all levels of training and across professional disciplines.
- A commitment to continuing professional development.
- A commitment to multidisciplinary and multi-agency working.
- A commitment to respect, inclusiveness and diversity.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- A track record of team leadership or collaboration with other agencies.
Devon Partnership NHS TrustAddress
North Devon District Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.