University Hospitals Sussex employs nearly 20,000 people and has an operating budget of more than �1.2 billion. The Trust operates services from seven hospitals. The Trust is responsible for all district general acute services for Brighton and Hove, West and Mid Sussex and parts of East Sussex.
Our hospitals in Worthing, Shoreham-by-Sea and Chichester were the first acute hospitals to receive the CQC health watchdog's highest rating in all key inspection areas. (October 2019). Our acute hospitals in Haywards Heath and Brighton are rated as 'Outstanding for Caring' by the CQC. Fundamental to this is the way that we value and respect our staff, at every level, we value the diversity of our colleagues and actively champion an inclusive culture. We believe that everyone without exception should feel free to be their authentic self in the workplace
University Hospital Sussex is a leading acute hospital trust, with rewarding career opportunities for caring, committed and innovative people, who wish to be valued for their work and empowered to improve the services we provide. Reporting to the Senior Capital Development Manager based at our Worthing office location, this post offers the right individual the chance to lead and coordinate a diverse programme of delegated projects aimed at supporting the Trust to deliver excellent clinical services and patient care.Main duties of the job
You will be educated to degree level in a technical construction related discipline and have clear evidence of continuing professional development. You will have a demonstrable track record of successfully delivering projects in complex environments on time and to delegated budgets. You will have delivered projects utilising NEC and/or JCT contractual frameworks, and have proven skills in effective people management, communication and understand the importance of stakeholder relationships. The successful candidate will possess knowledge of technical and regulatory standards and work closely with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including clinicians, local authorities, design teams and contractors.
Choose to work with us and you will find we offer an open, collaborative working environment in which you will be encouraged to develop your leadership, improvement and innovation skills. You will be supported personally and professionally by a commitment to care and compassion that applies as much to our staff as it does to our patients. We value and promote diversity and are committed to equality of opportunity for all.About us Join us at UHSussex, every day is different, you can be the change, better never stops A
t UHSussex we're proud to be at the heart of the NHS. As one of the UK's largest acute Trusts, we're a leading example of the excellence, the ambition and the values that have embodied the NHS for over 75 years. Improving lives:
We are a vibrant and inclusive organisation, with hardworking, talented and dedicated individuals, who work together towards a common goal, to always put our Patient First. Our mission is summed up by our 'where better never stops' motto and no matter the role at UHSussex, you will play a part in driving us forwards and in improving the lives of patients across Sussex. We treat our patients and staff with the same compassion and empathy we expect for ourselves. We're here for them when they need us, and we go above and beyond to meet their needs. This can be seen in our wellbeing programme for staff which is extensive and designed to support you when you need it because we know that to look after others we must first look after ourselves. Build a career with us:
As a university trust and a leader in healthcare research, we value learning, teaching and training so that we can be the best that we can be. From the moment you start with us and throughout your career we will help you to grow and develop. We hope that in choosing UHSussex you are choosing a long and happy career where you will be able to see the difference you make and feel valued for all that you do.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will be responsible for co-ordinating and managing a varied range of capital investment projects for the Trust and ensuring they are delivered successfully.
Coordinate and manage different contractors, consultants and design teams who operate within the built environment and oversee complex detailed design within multi-faceted contracts and schemes.
Oversee building and construction design works for new and upgraded hospital facilities designs to be compliant with all applicable codes such as: HTMs, HBNs, HFNs, BS and CIBSE etc.
Lead on development of the risk register and risk management action plan for assigned projects. Manage the full project lifecycle process from initial discussion to final completion and sign-off.
Ensure that Capital/Works projects are delivered within an appropriate contractual framework of organisation and compliance in accordance with Trust policies and project management procedures.
Develop comprehensive cost plans that capture the entirety of forecast project expenditure and manage the project budget accordingly.
Co-ordinate with the appointed Cost Advisor/Quantity Surveyor to ensure projects are controlled against planned expenditure.
Running of capital projects within a defined project methodology, budget and timetable.
The post holder will be accountable for ensuring that projects are delivered successfully and maintain a high profile within the Trust through developing and building strong links with key individuals and departments Engaging local partners and keeping them informed of progress. Engage with and manage design and building teams across the project areas.
Set and monitor key target dates for the development and completion of the Project.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Educated to degree level in electrical/mechanical engineering or in a construction related discipline including, but not limited to, architecture or quantity surveying
- Clear evidence of CPD
- Membership of a recognised construction/engineering professional institute (RICS, CIOB, CIBSE, IHEEM), minimum Incorporate level
- Project Planning Qualification (Prince 2)
- Relevant CSCS Card and/or NEBOSH/IOSH certification
- Working knowledge of technical standards in relevant areas.
- Experienced in managing construction and/or engineering projects - General Building Construction Site management, Project Management procedures and processes
- Knowledge of using standard form construction contracts (JCT, NEC, PFI etc)
- Awareness and Working knowledge in construction related health and safety management
- Knowledge of health specific technical standards HTMs, HBNs etc
- Contract Law and Building Legislation and Regulations
- Practitioner in NHS ProCure projects and other frameworks based on NEC contract
Planning & OrganisationalEssential
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Good negotiation skills and the ability to bring people not directly managed on board with new ideas and concepts
- Evidence of and ability to review and interpret documents, reports and drawings and/or specifications and make comments/suggestions where relevant to the Capital team, design team and end users
- Ability to produce and review construction programmes and make comment/suggestions where applicable to the Capital team, design team and end users
- Ability to create and review options, appraise and offer recommendations to the Capital team, design team, end users and Senior Management
- Excellent problem solving skills to ensure prompt and effective resolution of matters arising during projects
Physical SkillsEssential Desirable
- Excellent planning and organisational skills in order to manage and co-ordinate day to day projects with the appointed contractors, consultants and design team, communicating with key stakeholders, clients and other interested parties as part of that process
- Demonstrate and lead meetings on a regular basis with other members of the Capital Team, the Finance lead, Estates Team and the Capital Contracts Administrator and provide updates on projects under their control
Policy & Service DevelopmentEssential
- Current UK driving licence, post holder is expected to travel between hospital sites as required
- Required to interpret Trust policies and implement at all times
- Develop relevant Capital policies as required
- Required to interpret and action related Government policies and regulations
- Working knowledge of Contract valuation, assessment and payment procedures and cashflow forecasting
- Ensure financial plans and targets are kept online through management and liaison with the Trust corporate accountant
- Evidence / experience of co-ordinating with the appointed Cost Advisor / Quantity Surveyor to ensure the project finances are controlled against projected expenditure
- Evidence of budget holder for assigned project budgets for expenditure greater than one million
- Show leadership qualities aligned with the Trusts values and behaviours
- Ensure staff are supported and developed through Trust processes, policies and procedures
- Computer literate in Microsoft MS, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project
Personal Qualities and attribuEssential
- Ability to use AutoCAD and drawing packages
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Self- motivated with the ability to respond to changing situations and work to tight deadlines, constantly redefining priorities
- Resilient and able to deal with difficult situations
- Ability to work across all Trust sites and be flexible in working hours to meet the demands of the post
University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (279)Address
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.