To play a key role in the specialist nursing service provided to patients of all ages with colorectal diseases and those undergoing stoma formation within Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust.
The Colorectal Stoma Nurse Specialist aims for the stoma patients to become independent, confident, and competent with their stoma. They will run nurse led stoma clinics solving stoma problems and issues, preparing patients for life changing stoma surgery using problem solving, critical analysis and counselling/supportive skills to aid the stoma patient in their rehabilitation. There is a requirement to travel to other hospital sites and it may also be a requirement to travel to patient's homes.
The Colorectal Stoma Nurse Specialist is a member of a multi- professional team providing a service to patients with colorectal cancer and other diseases of the colon. They will act as a resource for all those involved in the care and management of the patient with a diagnosis of colorectal cancer. There is a need for working in a seamless, collaborative way including the multi-disciplinary team across the Trust, including the community for continuity on the patient's pathway.Main duties of the job
About usListen to why colleagues think we are a great place to work! -
- Uses specialist knowledge and skills for assessing patients and their families and with support from the colorectal team help to solve complex problems and provide the appropriate level of intervention either as direct or indirect care, in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team
- Acts at all times in accordance with the NMC Code of Conduct and within the principles of the scope of Professional Practice and ensures other members of the team also work within these.
- To promote liaison between the Trust and the Primary Care Groups, and to advise on referral to appropriate statutory and voluntary services on discharge.
- To ensure all clinical practice is evidence based, drawing on published literature and policy guidelines.
- To be aware of the ethical and confidential issues in relation to colorectal cancer and willing to act as the advocate for the patient when appropriate.
- To assist the team in organising workload, ensuring it reflects the core components of the nurse specialist role.
BHT - A great place to work (buckshealthcare.nhs.uk) What does Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust offer you?
Why work for us?
- As part of our BHT family, you'll benefit from learning and development opportunities to support your career progression.
- We offer flexible and agile workingopportunities,alongside your NHS benefits ofgenerous annual leave entitlement, pension andaccess toNHS discount schemes.
- We provide a range of health and wellbeing services to promote a healthy, happy workforce.
What do we stand for?
- We're committed to promoting inclusion and making sure all colleagues feel they belong. We encourage new colleagues from a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
- As an employer, we aim to create a workplace where differences are valued and colleagues treat one another with dignity and respect.
- Greater diversity withinourBHT familyimprovespositive outcomes for the people and communities we serve.
- A keen supporter of the Armed Forces Community who know the value of employing a service leaver/veteran and their families.
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Our vision is to provide outstanding care, support healthy communities and be a great place to work.
- Our mission is to provide personal and compassionate care every time.
- Our care values are collaborate, aspire, respect and enable.
For a comprehensive list of responsibilities and duties, please kindly refer to the Job Description and Person Specification by downloading the JD and PS attachment in the advert.
If you are an internal applicant there is the option for secondment, all applicants must have the endorsement/support of their line manager prior to application.
If you have a disability that makes submitting this online application difficult and would like assistance, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the vacancy reference number.Person SpecificationEssesentialEssential Desirable
- Working towards masters or equivalent level of study
- An accredited communication skills course
- A recognised teaching qualification
- Stoma Care Course
- RGN with at least 3 years post registration experience
- Time management skills
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
Skills ability and KnowledgeEssential
- 1 year colorectal/ oncology/surgical Experience
- Stoma care experience
Desirable Special circumstancesEssential
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with colleagues, patients and the MDT
- Organisation ability
- Demonstrates a courteous manner with all individuals who them come into contact with e.g. patients, relatives and staff
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Across site working as required
- Car Driver Essential
Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
Stoke Mandeville Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.