An exciting opportunity has arisen with the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, which works on behalf the seven Health Boards in Wales to commission specialised and highly specialised services to recruit an Assistant Director for Evidence, Evaluation and Effectiveness
to join the Medical Directorate team. The post holder will be responsible for overseeing and managing key work programmes.
This post offers the opportunity to work with a range of external stakeholders including NHS England Specialised Commissioning, NICE, the All Wales Medicine Strategy Group (AWMSG) and Health Technology Wales (HTW) to help determine and implement the corporate strategy in relation to evidence evaluation, prioritisation, clinical and budget impact assessment, clinical regulation and policy development required for the commissioning of specialised and tertiary services. The current budget for the organisation is �750M.
The post-holder will be required to have expert knowledge of the organisation of health and social care services in Wales and England, and of the contribution that evidence assessment, evaluation and prioritisation can make to commissioning health and social care services agenda in Wales. A high level of tact and diplomacy is required as well as intellectual rigour, negotiation and motivation skills and flexibility are required to deal with highly complex evidence issues, to advise and make recommendations regarding services and patient care.Main duties of the job
The post holder will provide professional, strategic leadership across the WHSSC Medical Directorate team and will be responsible for overseeing and managing each of the following key work programmes:
- Evidence evaluation and assessment
- Prioritisation processes
- The Medical Directorate Programme Management Office (PMO)
- Medicines Management
- Policy Development
The post holder will provide strategic advice to the Medical Director and the Corporate Directors Board of WHSSC on all clinical evidence aspects of commissioning strategy and clinical and economic evaluation of effectiveness.
The post holder will work with a range of external stakeholders including NHS England Specialised Commissioning, NICE, All Wales Medicine Strategy Group (AWMSG) and Health Technology Wales (HTW) to help determine and implement the corporate strategy in relation to evidence evaluation, prioritisation, clinical and budget impact assessment and clinical regulation required for the commissioning of specialised and tertiary services. The current budget for the organisation is �750M.
The post holder will manage and provide direction for the Medical Directorate team.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post English and/or Welsh speakers are equally welcome to apply.About us
Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board is part of the NHS Wales family. Our Health Board provides primary, secondary and community health and wellbeing services to around 450,000 people living in three County Boroughs: Bridgend Merthyr Tydfil, and Rhondda Cynon Taf.
We live by our core values:
- We listen, learn and improve
- We treat everyone with respect
- We all work together as one tea
We are a proud local employer around 80% of our 15000 workforce live within our region, making our staff not only our lifeblood of our organisation but of the diverse communities that we serve.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click Apply now to view in Trac.Person SpecificationQualifcations and/or knowledgeEssential
- 1st Degree or equivalent professional qualification. Masters or equivalent level of experience.
- Doctororate level in life sciences or equivalent experience in appraisals science with a National Body
- Evidence of continuing personal professional development including statistics, performance and health economics.
- Extensive knowledge of national appraisals systems for drugs and medical devices including NICE and AWMSG.
- Understanding of the background to and aims of current healthcare policy in Wales and appreciate the implications of this on stakeholder engagement.
- Appreciation of the relationships between DOH, WG,WHSSC,HBs, Provider and Commissioning organisations.
Aptitude & AbilitiesEssential
- extensive proven experience at Senior Manager level including significant experience of : Specialised Services Commissioning, Appraisal Science, Performance management.
- Demonstratable experience of managing substantial projects, delivering to target within constraints and on time.
- Evidence of leading complex service transformation.
- Evidence of setting ambitious targets and of implementing innovative solutions to improve services within tight financial constraints.
- Proven experience of building partnerships and alliances both internal and external to WHSSC.
- A track record of leading and delivering sustainable and measurable change coupled with the ability to engage others in delivering these results.
- Ability to demonstrate delivery of significant organisation change in a challenging environment that are consistent with WHSSC values.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral. Effective decision making, dynamic and innovative and evidence of getting things done.
- Ability to relate to a wide range of stakeholders including patients and the public.
- Above average knowledge of IT systems including data interpretation and statistical analysis.
- Project management skills including the ability to manage short term objectives with individuals outside ones immediate managerial responsibiltiy.
- Demonstrates sound judgement in the absence of clear guidelines or precedent, developing advice as necessary.
- A confident personality who has the personal credibility and authority to secure support from peers, staff, the public, partners and other audiences.
- Ability to be assertive, confident and effective.
- Emotionally intelligent and resilient.
- Evidence of self development.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to travel across Wales and NHS England in a timely manner as required.
- Flexible approach to work to meet service needs
Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health BoardAddress
Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee
Unit G1, Main Avenue, Treforest Industrial Estate, Treforest
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.