Lavender Ward provides safe, holistic and recovery focussed treatment for men and women with mental health difficulties. The successful candidate will aid and oversee the activity coordinator in developing and running ward activities and will facilitate individual treatment sessions. The postholder will also undertake functional assessments, including home assessments, for individuals as required which may include recommendations for environmental adaptations, equipment/aids and support packages to maximise independence. You will be expected to liaise and work closely with the MDT, in particular the discharge coordinator and social services in providing recommendations to ensure and facilitate safe discharges.
You will join our supportive and friendly group of occupational therapists. We use the Model of Human Occupation as well as other assessments to review the client's environment, sensory preferences and physical disability. The successful candidate would carry out short-term specific occupational therapy work to promote recovery goals and facilitate independence, including signposting to external agencies as well as referring to community-run OT groups.
We are working towards having a menu of high-quality interventions to develop expertise and consistency across the service lines and proactively promote occupational therapy within multidisciplinary teams.Main duties of the job
You will hold a diploma or degree in occupational therapy, be registered to practice in the UK, have undergraduate experience of working in mental health settings, and have the ability to support junior staff and peers in their development. You will possess good organisational and personal management skills excellent communication and interpersonal skills demonstrate an ability to be flexible, adaptable and be a positive thinker. You must be able to demonstrate an awareness of risk management and understand and be committed to promoting MOHO as a framework for practice.
The postholder will also undertake functional assessments, including home assessments, for individuals as required which may include recommendations for environmental adaptations, equipment/aids and support packages to maximise independence. You will be expected to liaise and work closely with the MDT, in particular the discharge coordinator and social services in providing recommendations to ensure and facilitate safe discharges.
We have regular OT forums for professional support and development and can arrange staff to shadow OTs in other services for development opportunities. You will be the team's Disability Champion to promote awareness within the multidisciplinary team, ensuring client's views and reasonable adjustments are implemented within their care. The successful candidate will be offered supervision from the lead occupational therapist.About usTrust-wide Occupational Therapy Service:
The successful candidate will join our wider occupational therapy service which includes our community, learning disability, specialist, national and forensic service lines. We meet quarterly for occupational therapy training events which have recently included training around sensory profiling and MOHO.
We also hold monthly Band 5 development and support groups to aid ongoing CPD learning opportunities.
We work closely with our service-user involvement team who support service-users and carers to co-design and co-produce work within the Trust. We have also collaborated with our colleagues from St. George's Hospital occupational therapy department where we engage in shared learnings. About the location:
Lavender Ward is based at Springfield Hospital, Tooting, SW17 7DJ.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesKey areas of responsibilities:-
Person SpecificationEducation, Training & QualsEssential
- To manage a defined caseload, using evidence based / client centred principles to assess, plan, implement and evaluate interventions in the hospital setting and on home visits.
- To act as the designated Disability Champion on the ward, leading the multi-disciplinary team in Disability Equality matters within the service and other areas as required.
- To promote recovery and social inclusion.
- To contribute to the care pathway from admission through to discharge in keeping with the principles of the team.
- To plan for robust, sustainable discharge and aftercare, involving clients and their families in this planning and evaluating the care given.
- To contribute, from an occupational therapy perspective, to individual care plans.
- To maintain clinical records.
- To participate in the acute care forum.
- To develop and evaluate the wards activity timetable
- To supervise junior staff e.g the activity coordinator
- Diploma or degree in Occupational Therapy
- Registration to practice in UK
- Fieldwork experience in physical and mental health settings at undergraduate level.
- Experience of multidisciplinary working at undergraduate level
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of using mental health services as a service users or carer/relative/friend of a service user
- Experience of individual & group work
South West London and St Georges Mental Health NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.