We are recruiting for a Macmillan Specialist Oncology Physiotherapist who shares our vision to be trusted to provide consistently outstanding care and exemplary service to our patients.
This is an exciting new position to improve the provision of physiotherapy to outpatients at Mount Vernon Cancer Centre in Northwood. As well as developing specialist skills in oncology, there will also be opportunities to assist with service improvement and develop leadership skills, in a supportive team environment. Innovate projects include developing our prehab and rehab pathways in outpatients, and developing the metastatic spinal cord compression pathway. This is a full time, 2-year fixed term post, with the potential for substantive funding in future.
You will be able to independently manage your own caseload, work well in a team, demonstrate flexibility and adaptability and be committed to the service development. It would be preferable if you have experience working with people with cancer.
As a Macmillan professional, you'll have access to Macmillan's Learning Hub, which provides additional learning opportunities and training. You'll also have access to Macmillan grants, clinical updates and networking events to support you in your role.
Interviews to be held on the week commencing on 4th September, the exact date to be confirmed.
Our Values are Include, Respect and Improve. It is important that you understand and refer to our values during your recruitment process and beyond!Main duties of the job
Provide a patient-centred physiotherapy service to individuals with diverse, chronic and complex presentations due to their cancer diagnosis and/or treatment.
Perform specialist physiotherapy assessments and treatments for patients with musculoskeletal, neurological and/or respiratory problems with a focus on optimising patients' activity levels throughout their treatment pathway, including symptom management and exercise prescription.
Carry a predominantly outpatient caseload but also work flexibly alongside the Team Lead Physiotherapist to ensure effective prioritisation of patients across Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC). This will include assessing and treating patients on the inpatient wards and in the Acute Oncology Service, with a focus on admission avoidance and supporting the management of patients with metastatic spinal cord compression.
Take a proactive role in developing our new prehabilitation pilot for patients with lung cancer due to receive immunotherapy, with support from the Team Lead Physiotherapist.
Assist in developing future prehabilitation and rehabilitation services at MVCC alongside the wider AHP Team. About us
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
ENHT is seeking to maintain and expand the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre staff as we move to an exciting new future.
We welcome applications from those who would relish the opportunity to be part of new and developing cancer service, building on the excellent reputation, research and patient experience the Cancer Centre already delivers.
In addition, you will receive a High Cost Area Supplement of 15% of your basic salary, subject to a minimum payment of �4,314 and a maximum payment of �5,436 per annum pro rata.
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Degree in Physiotherapy
- HCPC Registration
- Membership of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- Membership of an appropriate clinical special interest group
- Previous relevant NHS Post Graduate experience of at least 2 years with significant post graduate experience preferably within cancer, neurology and/or medicine
- Experience of integrated therapy team and MDT working
- Evidence of involvement in service improvement (e.g. audit, research and implementation of change)
- Evidence of clinical practice influenced by evidence based practice
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology related to clinical area
- Implementation and adherence to Chartered Society of Physiotherapy Standards/Guidelines
- Ability to monitor and maintain best practice in all aspects of Health & Safety - in own practices and of wider service
- Evidence of Band 6 experience
- Knowledge of relevant standardised assessment tools and outcome measures
- Clear, concise and effective communication to patients, carers and staff able to utilise a variety of mediums and approaches
- Motivated, flexibile and able to respond well to change
- Able to influence, teach and motivate others
- Evidence of effective prioritisation and time management skills
- Experience of supervising staff and/or students including formal supervision and appraisal
- Able to demonstrate skills in the assessment and treatment of oncology patients
- Information Technology skills including: e-mail, Word, Excel & Power Point
- Evidence of an up-to-date CPD portfolio
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Empathetic, honest and an effective listener
- Seek to improve self and others in order to deliver best possible care
- Able to recognise own limitations and reflect on own practice
- Role model our Trust values every day
- Experience and evidence of engagement around equality, diversity and inclusion issues in relation to policy, service development and service delivery in respect of both services to users and the management of staff
- Eligible to live and work in the UK
- Hold a full, valid, UK driving licence and have access to a car to use for business purposes (unless you have a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010)
East and North Herts NHS TrustAddress
Mount Vernon Cancer Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.