An excellent opportunity has arisen for 4 Assistant Business Unit Accountants to join our Finance team here at University Hospital of Derby and Burton. This is an exciting opportunity for ambitious, highly motivated and enthusiastic individuals to work in a fast moving Management Accounts Team.
The roles are in 4 different teams working across Medicine, Surgery, Corporate and EPR/R& D
This is an ideal opportunity for individuals working towards an accountancy qualification who are looking for development in a large Acute Trust. The departments offer excellent development opportunities to build and enhance skills.
The roles will support the Business Unit Accountants across the divisions, you will assist the team in providing comprehensive financial support to our wide range of clinical and non-clinical services.
The Finance team have a hybrid working arrangement of a minimum of one day based in the office at the Royal Derby Site and the ability to work on the Burton site and book additional days if required on either site.Main duties of the job
The main responsibilities will be to produce accurate and timely monthly statements and to assist the Business Unit Accountant in investigating and explaining financial variances. You would be expected to work autonomously to understand the drivers of the variances, presenting them to clinical and non-clinical staff. Whilst actively seeking solutions and escalating those issues accordingly. This knowledge will be gained through regular meetings with budget holders working in clinical and nonclinical areas, which is key to the role.
Forecasting is an integral part of this role and you would be responsible for populating and presenting this to the Business Unit Accountant on a monthly basis.
Budget Setting is an annual process for this role, supporting the Business Unit accountant to determine the budget for the following year. Team work is essential in this role and when necessary to cover and support colleagues. Excellent people skills are a requirement when working with both finance and non-finance colleagues across the organisation.
The successful candidate needs to be hard working and dependable, have excellent communication and organisational skills and be able prioritise own workload to achieve deadlines. Also needs to be computer literate with a good working knowledge of Excel. A proven history of working in a Financial Management setting is essential Closing date of applications: 25 September 2023 Interview date: 9 October 2023About us
As a trusted organisation at the heart of our communities, we recognise the important role we can play in supporting the public, patients, our own people and local partners in achieving the best of health for the local population and the communities in which they live by providing Exceptional Care Together
Our fundamental Values of Compassion, Openness and Excellence underpin how we intend to work as a Trust and the associated behaviours are becoming embedded in all aspects of how we work.
In return we will offer:
- Development opportunities, including both professional and leadership development
- On-going support through every step of the way from recruitment to when you join our team and beyond.
- A variety of other staff benefits including employee assistance programme, discounted gym membership, onsite fitness classes, car schemes
Key Facts about our Trust:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- We see on average 4810 OP appointments per day.
- We are the 4th busiest Trauma & Orthopaedic outpatients department in England - an average of 2077 per week.
- An average of 1115 patients are seen in A& Es across our network every day - 3rd largest in the country.
- Our hospitals admit an average of 195 emergency patients daily.
- Last year we undertook almost 33,700 planned surgical operations in our 57 operating theatres.
- We are one of only 7 Trusts nationally with more than 50 operating theatres.
- We carry out more than 140 elective procedures each working day.
Please see attached Job description and Person Specification. To apply please click APPLY FOR THIS JOB this link will take you to the TRAC Recruitment Site. You will need to register if you do not already have an account.Person SpecificationAnalytical & Judgement SkillEssential
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Demonstrates relevant Skills
Desirable Communication & RelationshipsEssential
- Financial Management experience
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrates communication and relationship skills
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Derby Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.